Customer Service 866.965.0400

Worth doing a full detail on a car with a few scratches/chips?

roshea89

Question

Hi, just started getting into Adam's and detailing and done 1 car that turned out great so far.

But my car, as i drive it a lot has a few small scratches round the car and rock chips on the front of the car, i'm wondering if it's worth doing a full detail on it, from claying, paint correction, polish and sealant etc.

Reason i'm asking is i won't be able to get those scratches and chips repaired for a couple of months, there's too many chips for one of those top up pens, and the scratches seem a little deep for any kind of DIY fix. So November-December time i'll get those sorted professionally.

But in the mean time i'd still like to protect it, would it be worth doing a full detail? might get some of the smaller swirls/scratches out until i can get the rest sorted?

7 answers to this question

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the club/forum/addiction.

By the sounds of your post you sound like you're split in thought. If I were you I would recommend that you clean and seal your car until the chips and deep scratches are repaired. Once you are certain no more work is going to be done to the car and won't be visiting any workshops, go ahead on the full detail.

Doing a full detail now will be beneficial for you in regards to getting to know the products, the system and your cars response but if you're like me. Having a near perfect car with chips and scratches will drive me more crazy as it doesn't really "blend".

From now till Nov-Dec H20 Guard and Gloss, or any of our waxes will keep you well protected with regular maintenance washing.

Hope that helps

Hi Joseph, Thanks for the reply, that's very helpful information.

The car already comes up really nice just with the shampoo and detail spray. Would you recommend claying the car before applying paint sealant? or just do a normal wash and use H20 Guard and Gloss until i get the car sorted?

Welcome Ryan!  And what they said^^.  

You may want to try correcting the scratched ares to see how they respond.  You may find you can remove them, or at least get them where they are not too noticeable.       

If you actually drive your car you will get a few rock chips.  Its called "beauty marks".  Unless you want to respray your front end every couple years its going to happen.

My car is swirl free after I corrected it last year but I do have rock chips on the front end of my 12 year old Bimmer.  I'm not losing sleep over it.

I'd correct your car and improve the paint's gloss and clarity and live with the chips.

If you actually drive your car you will get a few rock chips.  Its called "beauty marks".  Unless you want to respray your front end every couple years its going to happen.

My car is swirl free after I corrected it last year but I do have rock chips on the front end of my 12 year old Bimmer.  I'm not losing sleep over it.

I'd correct your car and improve the paint's gloss and clarity and live with the chips.

I agree.  Even if you do get it fixed, if it's going to be a few months, I would go ahead and correct and seal it now.  The only way I wouldn't do it now is if it was being fixed very soon and you thought they might overspray onto panels that aren't being painted and that you had just corrected. 

If you correct it now, you might be so happy with the results that the chips won't bother you as much.