Customer Service 866.965.0400

Glass always seems oily

pirahnah3

Question

Ok, so I have spent plenty of time cleaning my windows with Adams glass cleaner (Still the old as I have about a half gallon left). 

I have clayed the windows twice so far in the trucks 16k mile life. 

I clean them weekly with Adams and the glass towels. 

I have tried to use AP Cleaner on them as well. When I used this I noticed a film showed up but went away after a wipe with the glass cleaner and towel. 

The issue I am having is that I can always seem to see the outline of where the wipers go, not like its dirty but if the window is foggy or covered in dew I still see it. Take this morning for example, the window was totally covered in a fine layer of moisture, but I could see all kinds of lines and streaks in it and I have not used the wipers since cleaning the window the day before. Not sure how to remove these or that seeming haze on the window. 

Ideas are appreciated. I am planning an order for labor day so if it is something I dont have I can always add it to the order if it seems to get enough agreement. 

Glass definitely has that problem and I've never found anything that takes care of it. I have seen cars that have individual letter stickers as a banner across the top and even if you clean it all off, it still shows up enough to read the letters when it gets wet or foggy.

The new glass cleaner is 100% better than the old stuff.  If clay won't work, you can use ultra fine steel wool to rub residue from your glass, clean it real well to remove any wool residue and then use the glass sealant.

I just placed an order this morning and included some glass sealant on the order. I plant to use the denatured and see what falls from there. 

I have always enjoyed NOT needing the glass blades, they only serve to mess up a perfectly good window. 

BTW Adam, Thank you for finally making a glass cleaner that doesnt make me batty with streaks. I cant wait to get into the new stuff after I use up my old. Which wont take long considering the 1k miles a week I drive. 

Well Jim, I hope you LOVE it, and if not, I'd like to hear about it.  Keep me posted, and with a 1K/miles per week, we'll know quick!!

Still managing to get streaks on the inside part of the windshield. Everything on it just seems hard to take off/ has an oily feel to it.

Andrew, some streaks on the inside after use? Two glass towels come together. Try cleaning with one of the towels, then buffing the glass with the other towel dry. If not the second dry glass towel, buff with a Single Soft Microfiber towel. I've been doing the inside glass this way for a couple years now and my glass is absolutly clean.

^Agreed.  Spray the first towel with the cleaner, don't spray the actual glass.  Then use the second towel dry to wipe streak free.

If you don't regularly (every 2 weeks or so) wipe down the inside of your glass (windshield mainly) you WILL be chasing streaks and going over it 2-3 times because your interior plastics are always offgassing and the "film" will build up.

^Agreed.  Spray the first towel with the cleaner, don't spray the actual glass.  Then use the second towel dry to wipe streak free.

If you don't regularly (every 2 weeks or so) wipe down the inside of your glass (windshield mainly) you WILL be chasing streaks and going over it 2-3 times because your interior plastics are always offgassing and the "film" will build up.

I do the inside of my windshield at least weekly if not more often. The rest of the windwos dont get it quite as bad and I do them about twice a month. 

I use Glass Cleaner somewhat sparingly on the glass towel for the interior windshield glass and then flip the towel over to the dry side and finish off with a Single Soft microfiber just as Dave describes.

For the exterior glass, after I clean the windshield with Glass Cleaner and a clay bar, and seal it with Glass Sealant, I sometimes use Brilliant Glaze, Detail Spray, or H2O Guard & Gloss on all exterior glass, every few washes or so to cut down on any oily film residue that might build up.

Add me to the list with oily glass. Adams cleaner is just causing smears. Gona have to try something else to kill it.

What type of towels are you using with the Glass Cleaner? I get my best results spraying maybe 2 or 3 sprays of Glass Cleaner on say a door window, wiping with one side of the microfiber glass cleaning towel, and then flipping the towel over and wiping again for a perfect streak-free finish.

What type of towels are you using with the Glass Cleaner? I get my best results spraying maybe 2 or 3 sprays of Glass Cleaner on say a door window, wiping with one side of the microfiber glass cleaning towel, and then flipping the towel over and wiping again for a perfect streak-free finish.

I use the Adams style or surgical towels. Always use two towels. One to clean and one to buff.

^i tested the new formula glass cleaner and it's not the Glass Cleaner causing a buildup. There isn't anything that will cause oily buildup in it to my knowledge. I actually was using another polymer product to seal my glass for a while and I found that was leaving oily streaks. I wiped and Clayed the glass with IPA and now I clean with the glass cleaner again and no issues.

That happened on my wife's new car too. Take some IPA on the inside in conjunction with the glass cleaner it should help. It'll take more elbow grease and a separate dry towel to buff but you should be able to get it streak free.

Pm me if you need help because I did go through this recently and thought the cleaner was weak but deduced that it had nothing to do with the Glass Cleaner bc I had no issues outside glass.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

My problem is on the inside. I would have thought glass cleaner would break down the haze. Seems to me that it just wants to push it around

I have noticed that the heavy use of a certain mass-marketed interior dressing product with the initials AA creates a very greasy film that is incredibly difficult to remove from interior glass.

I hope that's not the case here... if so that crap has a half-life of about 2 years.

I have noticed that the heavy use of a certain mass-marketed interior dressing product with the initials AA creates a very greasy film that is incredibly difficult to remove from interior glass.

I hope that's not the case here... if so that crap has a half-life of about 2 years.

Definitely not the case here. Not sure why there is any type of film to start with. Truck is a 97, driven once every 3 weeks or so and never apply dash dressing.

Unless you're a smoker, the oily film is most likely from the plastics inside the car gassing off. They will gas off for a loooong time. With the angle of the windshield, and back glass they collect the oily film the most. The windshield gets it the worst since plastics from the dash and down in the defroster vents are right at the glass. Adam's Glass Cleaner will do the job for you, just have to hone in your technique.

I use the Adams style or surgical towels. Always use two towels. One to clean and one to buff.

Not sure about (or familiar with) your towels, Adam's style or surgical.

Ok so kinda digging this up with an update. 

It took a little longer to get to than I would have liked but wanted to have the time and all that. 

So I got some nice Lab grade isopropyl and did a FULL wipedown of the front glass, trim, wipers and arms, anything that got close enough to the windshield other than the bugs that constantly seem to like to be kamakazis, 

So I wiped it down fully, then used the older formula glass cleaner on it (Im almost out, honestly) Did the inside and outside, did all the other windows as well some with the same towel that cleaned the front glass and no issues on the other glass. 

These are a couple pics from getting into the truck this morning. I cleaned the glass the afternoon before. 

Also, I did not use the glass sealer yet as I wanted to clay it one more time after the full clean up. 

One pic is the drivers side the other is the pass side. As much as the glass looks it the windshield wipers were NOT used prior to taking the pics. The flash was used in these and no other lights were on in the area, not even streetlights. 

Some advice would be appreciated 

post-13016-0-81719800-1444349120_thumb.jpg

post-13016-0-83583100-1444349122_thumb.jpg