Customer Service 866.965.0400

Daily Driver question - Buttery Wax?

stripesace

Question

Just ordered daily driver kit, interior complete, and I thought what the heck why not the buttery wax. 

I have a 2015 Toyota Highlander and 2015 Toyota Camry XSE that are both daily drivers but I like for them to look good, and because my wife and I spend so much time commuting, our interiors to be immaculate. I've never spent this kind of money and soon to be time maintaining our vehicles, but I'm looking forward to turning this into a hobby.

My questions is the buttery wax overkill for daily driver? If not, at what point would I apply it, after the H2O sealer? Before the H20 sealer? or not at all? 

Welcome to the forum John!

A sealant should be applied first, as it will last longer if it bonds with bare paint. You could then apply the Buttery Wax for a little more protection and shine, but may not notice much difference.

What colors are your cars? Darker colors will often show more depth with a wax as the last step product.

Yeah.. It'll be the highlander first... My wife only agreed to 200.00 in detailing products if hers were first... though she didn't distinguish interior or exterior :) 

The Camry is my daily driver and has alcantara seat inserts w/ leather bolster. Looking forward to maintaining that for 3 years. 

I would absolutely go with a sealant..

Agreed!  Buttery Wax is nice on a weekend cruiser, a vehicle that lives indoors day an night, and gets few miles clocked.   We use Liquid Paint Sealant on our cars that get used, and the H20 Guard & Gloss is a stellar way to bolster the protection of the sealant!

First post about Toyota daily driver's and the Detailer In Chief replies... yeah, NOW i understand why EVERYONE raves about Adam's products and support! 

Will have to look into the sealer on my next order.

Million dollar question now is it best to return the buttery wax when I get it. modify my order, or ok to use on a daily driver? 

We use Liquid Paint Sealant on our cars that get used, and the H20 Guard & Gloss is a stellar way to bolster the protection of the sealant!

Simple but effective.  I would recommend the same.

First post about Toyota daily driver's and the Detailer In Chief replies... yeah, NOW i understand why EVERYONE raves about Adam's products and support! 

Will have to look into the sealer on my next order.

Million dollar question now is it best to return the buttery wax when I get it. modify my order, or ok to use on a daily driver? 

You can use it on a daily driver.  You will be applying it more often.  Call and see if your order is still in house and modify it for Liquid Paint Sealant.

thanks for being patient with the newbie here. 

If I follow the daily driver video steps

1) Rinse

2) Wash

3) Detail + Clay

4) Dry w/ Double Soft?? 

5)Liquid Paint Sealer

'Maintenance' Washes would be

1) Rinse

2) Wash

3) Detail + Clay

4) Rinse

5) H2O G&G

Edited by stripesace

Honestly, while it is a bit more work to do buttery on a daily IS possible. 

I have a 2015 crew cab F250 that I do about 1k miles a week.....yes....about 1,000 miles. 

I did the full 2 bucket, clay, 2 step and all to her, I applied Liquid Paint Sealer, and then a layer of Buttery Wax. 

I keep up with my glass regularly and use Rinseless wash just about once a week and add a layer of buttery about every other wash at this point. 

I am planning to go out and clean her up today and will try to remember to take some pics. Thou she doesnt show off quite as nice being Oxford white, she still looks great. 

1) Rinse

2) Wash

3) Detail + Clay

4) Dry w/ Double Soft??

5)Liquid Paint Sealer

1) Rinse

2) Wash

3) Detail + Clay

4) Rinse

5) H2O G&G

That's pretty much it. On the first part, I would dry with a great white drying towel, although you could use double soft.

And on the maintenance washes, you wouldn't need to clay every time. Usually just a couple times a year. And if you wash weekly, you don't even need the HGG every time. It lasts longer than a week. I use it every 3 or 4 weeks.

As for the LPS vs. Buttery, I would probably try to modify the order before it ships. Buttery works great, but LPS will give you more durability for your daily driver.

Edited by marquez93

1) Rinse

2) Wash

3) Detail + Clay

4) Dry w/ Double Soft?? 

5)Liquid Paint Sealer

1) Rinse

2) Wash

3) Detail + Clay

4) Rinse

5) H2O G&G

I clay once or twice a year when I machine polish.  My maintenance is wash and dry.  Using the occasional HGG

My favorite product for a daily driver is LPS. the longevity it provides for a daily driver is awesome, especially one that sits outside. However, if you're looking for a little more gloss, depth, and shine you can follow LPS with a wax. I personally like to do LPS followed by Americana on my white diamond tricoat GS so that it brings out the tricoat and metallic in the paint.

I appreciate this community so much! I've been apart of many other communities who haven't been so welcoming of their newcomers. 

My vehicles have never had this kind of treatment so an initial clay bar will be almost required. The Camry has never seen a carwash, the highlander on there other hand....... 

My next magic trick (aka trying to sneak under the wife's radar) will be getting a polisher and doing paint correction on the Highlander... 

Before H2O G&G I went for awhile using Buttery on my daily as well as my non-daily. Now that I think about it, I believe it was my first foray into Adam's products

My thinking was that I wanted to re-apply often anyways, so I may as well get what is claimed to be the easiest wax to work with on the market. It looks great and water beads very well, and it truly is very easy. I'd re-apply every other wash or twice a month (seems crazy if you never detailed professionally before, but a top- up wax application can be done very quickly and still be effective).

I'm one of many self-described OCD individuals in this community but I lean towards protection vs. all-out show shine, and although the Liquid Paint Sealant is surely the best for longevity of protection, I want that "just-waxed" feeling of slickness all the time and I know I wouldn't be able to go months on a single application. Re-applying LPS seems like it wouldn't make sense, and would be time consuming. So I went for the wax.

I switched to H2O G&G for the same reasons and it's even easier to apply, with likely better protection and longevity. I suppose the shine might be incrementally better with wax, but my OCD nature doesn't extend that far even with my black daily driver. I don't expect I'll go back to the Buttery, what I have left should last me for a long time on the non-daily driver.

Edited by butters

^butters, have you applied the Liquid Paint Sealant before?  I only disagree with you on the statement that Buttery wax would be slicker, if you've ever felt polymer sealants before they feel VERY slick to the touch, more so than most waxes.  And applying LPS vs applying Buttery is very similar, its a liquid product applied by hand, one isn't easier than the other personally.

Also agreed you are not seeing much of a shine difference in liquid wax vs a water activated, or liquid sealant for that matter.  but the sealants protect like no ones business!

In regards to longevity of products, if I've used the liquid paint sealant and topped with brilliant glaze and finally a coat of buttery wax, on a daily, non-garaged, how would outside temps affect them??

Right now its Amazon-Hot in New Jersey but soon will be cooling rapidly and then old man winter sets in with sub-freezing temps in 3 months.  Does applied product last longer in HOT weather or COLD weather....just gauging the frequency I would need to apply each accordingly!

Thanks!

I'm curious what amazon hot is in New Jersey?

FYI - I plan on doing my car Friday (Just a wash and H20 GG because I've only had the car for 2 weeks and its still beading from the factory...) but on Saturday... The clay bar and my wife's Highlander have a date! I don't have a polisher yet, so I'm debating on just HGG'ing her car even though I just ordered paint sealant, or do I really want to tackle doing an SUV by hand.... The highlander has been through auto washes in it's first year of life and I fully intend on acquiring a polisher to do a paint correction on it (maybe for Christmas...) and doing the paint sealer when I have a polisher. 

^butters, have you applied the Liquid Paint Sealant before?  I only disagree with you on the statement that Buttery wax would be slicker, if you've ever felt polymer sealants before they feel VERY slick to the touch, more so than most waxes.  And applying LPS vs applying Buttery is very similar, its a liquid product applied by hand, one isn't easier than the other personally.

Also agreed you are not seeing much of a shine difference in liquid wax vs a water activated, or liquid sealant for that matter.  but the sealants protect like no ones business!

I have not used LPS, I was going purely from reviews and Adam's guidance on the products. I do want to get it, I'm sure I will in due time.

What I meant regarding the slickness is that after a couple weeks, with either wax or sealant, the feel of the paint against the back of my hand degrades from the initial results (as does water beading to an extent). It's just the nature of... nature. The protection lingers much longer no doubt, and of course moreso with the sealants. But, knowing that I'd want to retain that feeling and re-apply very often, I thought it made sense to go for the Buttery because it's so forgiving. Likewise with G&G I know it could last 2 months, but after 3-4 weeks the paint doesn't feel quite as fresh (to be expected) so I re-apply. It seems to be the perfect product for my goals - the protection and durability of sealant with the ease-of-use of a liquid carnauba.

Edited by butters

^^G&G then by far is your best choice, and sealants in general.  You can "add a coat" of sealant and it won't build up like wax will, although you may be wasting product - in terms of the LPS.  I usually do 2 coats, and if I do nothing but wash it, I won't notice much degradation for 4 months or so.

G&G is great then because you can honestly apply it weekly or bi-weekly and being a sealant base it won't build up like wax would.  You've got a good regimen going, stick with it.

^^G&G then by far is your best choice, and sealants in general.  You can "add a coat" of sealant and it won't build up like wax will, although you may be wasting product - in terms of the LPS.  I usually do 2 coats, and if I do nothing but wash it, I won't notice much degradation for 4 months or so.

G&G is great then because you can honestly apply it weekly or bi-weekly and being a sealant base it won't build up like wax would.  You've got a good regimen going, stick with it.

Agree, thank you. I'm wondering if I miss out on anything by not having a base of LPS, but I think it's not critical given how often I can re-apply G&G.

Good info thus far....

And yes Amazon hot is just that. You'd think you were in the Amazon jungle. Was 84 this morning with high humidity and dew points in upper 60s so it was super muggy and sticky. Forget about lunchtime!

So I get that wax breaks down faster than sealant in heat but how does it compare in cold weather? Same breakdown time frame? Wondering if I should try and squeeze another sealant before it's way too cold that product would behave weird.(detached - unheated garage), the top off with wax and follow up with HGG on a regular afterwards until spring. Need to get maximum protection from elements for Winter

Edited by oski83