Customer Service 866.965.0400

Using soap for clay lube- Bad for clay?

Junior

Question

Anyone else use soap for clay lube? Do you notice if it kills the clay? My clay bar was in decent shape it seemed after a few uses, but then I clayed using soap from the wash pad and it seems like the clay quickly degraded.I finished the car, but the clay seems to be trashed now. Really just wondering if that is sort of how things are when you use soap. I used the new Adams Shampoo.

I have not clayed with shampoo, but our man Ricky Bobby has:

Sometimes when I'm looking to save time, I finish washing my car (3 bucket method), leave it wet, mix up a clean wash bucket of Car Shampoo suds (probably about 2 gallons, take a clean mitt, soap up a panel, and just *gasp* clay the soapy panel while the car is wet.  Repeat the process for the whole car, rinse it down and dry.

You just saved yourself some time, some MF towels to clean, and don't have any residue to deal with once the car is rinsed down and dried and can go straight to polishing.

Oh and the old adage about soap degrading clay, is not an issue with Adam's ph neutral soap.

Hey Dan thanks for finding my old post man!  The clean soap bucket is key if you are going to clay after traditional washing and before drying, for obvious reasons.

ALTERNATIVELY, you could rinse the car down of the soap after you are done cleaning, and while the car is still wet, as Adam does in his Daily Driver video, just spray down the panels wet with Detail Spray (or my choice a dilution of 1:16 Rinseless) and clay it while wet.

Then give the final rinse and dry.

I still have yet to see empirical proof on my many details that the alternative methods of lubrication that are mentioned are somehow not cleaning the surface "as well" and that Detail Spray in and of itself is a superior and the only lubrication one should ever use.

We all use what we like and like to share ideas to improve efficiency. If it's your choice of lube, that is great and you can say that, but don't give false information that implies using Waterless, a dilution of Rinseless wash, or a soapy bucket of suds is somehow not decontaminating the surface effectively.

Another great method of claying which will take care of contaminants is incorporating it into your Rinseless washing routine. After you clean your panels with a soaked towel the surface will be slick and wet, you can clay the panel then, and before drying.

I haven't used detail spray to clay a car in a couple of years, it is not economical or necessary in the least!

Using soap from the wash bucket is absolutely an acceptable and excellent way to lubricate the surface for clay, Larry Kosilla uses this method on priceless vehicles, trust me he knows how to lube a surface for clay.

Using a diluted rinseless product, such as Adam's Rinseless diluted 1:16 is also an excellent way to lubricate the surface for clay and it's the method I've used on the last probably 100 vehicles I've detailed professionally.

Saying that any method other than detail spray doesn't have the correct level of slickness or that they don't clean as well is just completely silly and incorrect. 

I haven't used detail spray to clay a car in a couple of years, it is not economical or necessary in the least!

Using a diluted rinseless product, such as Adam's Rinseless diluted 1:16 is also an excellent way to lubricate the surface for clay and it's the method I've used on the last probably 100 vehicles I've detailed professionally.

Same here.  Diluted Rinseless is all I use for my clay process.

Overall rinseless is probably my favorite all around product... Has alot of uses and goes a long way.

I have never used it diluted for clay lube. But sounds like a great idea. And will try it when I do my pre winter detail. Now I have heard that rinseless has a small amount of wax in it. Now would that cause any bonding issues,if just laying down a sealant or wax afterwards?

Claying works best with DS, it has the correct amount of slickness for the clay to do its job without sticking. If the surface is too slick the clay won't clean as intended.

I agree with you Chris.  I've tried the Rinseless as a lube and it works okay, but I still prefer the DS as my lube.  I mean, how often do you guys clay your cars that you have to worry about cost that makes it an issue? For the two or three times a year that I do my rides, I'll stick with the Detail Spray.

I agree with you Chris.  I've tried the Rinseless as a lube and it works okay, but I still prefer the DS as my lube.  I mean, how often do you guys clay your cars that you have to worry about cost that makes it an issue? For the two or three times a year that I do my rides, I'll stick with the Detail Spray.

I agree that DS as a clay lube is ideal, but I disagree with you about the cost issue.  It can be costly (particularly if you are going with Adams), and have used nearly a full 16 oz bottle claying 1 full-size truck.  Using concentrated versions, I can make up gallons of the juice at a fraction of the cost.  While I understand the reasons for Adam's to not offer concentrates (110% guarantees, etc.), it doesn't make much financial sense for me as a consumer.

For those staying within the Adam's product line-up, it makes perfect sense why people are looking at diluting non-DS products as an alternative for a clay lube.

I can understand if you're claying cars for other people or as a business, then yes, it would be more cost effective. But seriously, even if you're using a bottle to clay your truck, how many times a year are you claying?   And I've yet to see evidence that using clay more than twice a year won't harm your clear coat or paint.  It's common sense that it would. Anyhow, we all have our own routines and opinions and I respect yours.  So if it's better for your budget to use something else, that's fine by me. It's all good.

There is absolutely nothing that makes detail spray a better clay lube than diluted rinseless. It doesn't matter if you detail just your own car or customers, why waste the money to clay with detail spray? Save it for final wipe downs.

If you want to spend almost $6 for a bottle of detail spray to clay a car (if purchased in gallon form) then be my guest, I'm sure Adam will appreciate this tremendously. 

But to suggest that it is better to use detail spray than diluted rinseless is silly and misleading, it isn't better, it's just what you personally have always done. 

I'll keep using less than 50 cents worth of rinseless wash to clay my car, as it sounds like most everyone else will also. Or the soap already in my wash bucket. If it's good enough for Larry Kosilla and the million+ dollar cars he works on as well as many other professional detailers, it's good enough for your personal car. 

I mean, how often do you guys clay your cars that you have to worry about cost that makes it an issue? For the two or three times a year that I do my rides, I'll stick with the Detail Spray.

That's fine if you are only dealing with one or two cars. But some of us detail more than our own vehicles. It is cost prohibitive at that point and I don't like that Adam's DS leaves something behind.

I use another product that works better IMO and is more cost effective.

I also use car wash soap when in a bind or am tight on time.

If your detailing many cars professinally like myself, and I clay all of them, are YOU really paying for the product,or in reality, your charging the customer for it. I have tried all the methods listed above, and am sticking with detail spray. I buy it in 5 gallon jugs from Adams and have never had an issue. The clay bar last longer since it doesnt get broken down by the effects of soap or other "dillutions" of various products. If your being penny wise and pound foolish about the small difference in price about detail products from Adams, your in the wrong business. I'm sure Megs, Turtle guy, etc make a product for claying too, but I aint using it !!!

If your detailing many cars professinally like myself, and I clay all of them, are YOU really paying for the product,or in reality, your charging the customer for it. I have tried all the methods listed above, and am sticking with detail spray. I buy it in 5 gallon jugs from Adams and have never had an issue. The clay bar last longer since it doesnt get broken down by the effects of soap or other "dillutions" of various products. If your being penny wise and pound foolish about the small difference in price about detail products from Adams, your in the wrong business. I'm sure Megs, Turtle guy, etc make a product for claying too, but I aint using it !!!

Less overhead means more profit. Business 101.

As I stated before I don't like that DS contains wax for claying. The product I am using is still a detail spray but designed to be diluted for clay use and contains no wax. It is also half the cost of Adam's.

Assuming that other companies don't have products that are as good or even better than Adam's would be ignorant at best. Adam's has some great products but they aren't the end all be all.

Posted Today, 12:40 PM

07stanggt, on 09 Oct 2015 - 06:50 AM, said:snapback.png

Less overhead means more profit. Business 101.

As I stated before I don't like that Detail Spray contains wax for claying. The product I am using is still a detail spray but designed to be diluted for clay use and contains no wax. It is also half the cost of Adam's.

Assuming that other companies don't have products that are as good or even better than Adam's would be ignorant at best. Adam's has some great products but they aren't the end all be all.

--------------------------------------

+1

Burninator is right on the money with this one, from the wax additive to the cost.

Very respectfully, your comment "If your being penny wise and pound foolish about the small difference in price about detail products from Adams, your in the wrong business. I'm sure Megs, Turtle guy, etc make a product for claying too, but I aint using it !!!" is a bit naïve and really misses the mark.

I'm not talking about a "small difference" in price nor am I talking about Megs or Turtle crap products.  But since this is an Adam's forum, I'm not going to mention other products on his site.  The bottom line is that if you are happy with what you are using, by all means continue.  However, it would probably make sense to not make generalizations about other products unless you understand and have used the great alternatives that are out there. 

Edited by goheels

I'm not talking about a "small difference" in price nor am I talking about Megs or Turtle crap products.  But since this is an Adam's forum, I'm not going to mention other products on his site.  The bottom line is that if you are happy with what you are using, by all means continue.  However, it would probably make sense to not make generalizations about other products unless you understand and have used the great alternatives that are out there. 

When cost is literally half before diluting it is a no contest in my book. For the amount of product I can chew through  (we all like to be liberal with product right?) it makes sense to not use detail spray. And again I don't like wax in a detail spray for claying.

The bottom line is use what you like and use it often. But for me I have found other products that fit the bill for my uses better.

This isn't to say I don't like Adam's detail spray. I still use it for final wipe downs, just not claying or polish removal.

Guys why all the arguments? I really don't want to shut down this thread. This is Adam's Forum.

Adam's Detail Spray is great for use as a clay lube, period. The minute amount of gloss enhancers in the Detail Spray isn't really leaving much of anything behind, it won't cause any adverse effects to polish or LSP.

If your doing a lot of vehicles, buy in the 5 gallon tote; $189.00, that's $29.7/ounce or $4.75/16oz bottle if you're refilling current Detail Spray bottles.

$4.75 for a 16 ounce refilled bottle, expensive? Really?

Have a good weekend!

Later...

Not trying to beat a dead horse. No one said DS doesnt work great as clay lube. Im sure its works as good as anything. It just is not cost effective enough for some guys. Me for example, I work on a lot of trucks and will sometimes blow through 32 oz to get it all done. Do a couple a week and those $5 bottles DO get expensive. No offense to anyone. I"ll zip it now.

Two questions: is 5 gallons of DS eligible for sales? (15% off etc)

And what would the "expiration date" be on something like that?