Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brilliant Glaze = Brilliant Plasti-Dip Remover

SYMAWD

Question

I love BG, but I almost never use it and I seem to get it in every mystery box and have a lot of it.  I also happen to have some plasti-dip over spray on the barrel of my wheels.  Just wipe on some BG, let it sit for a bit, then it will pretty much just wipe it all away with a cheap MF.  Just a new use for an existing product.

21 answers to this question

Wd40 does work well at removing plastidip, but I'm always a little cautious when I use it on clearcoated wheels to dissolve the plastidip - I know it's supposedly safe on clearcoated finishes, but I use it sparingly and make sure to re-wash the wheel immediately afterward to make sure I got all of the residue off of the wheel.

Also keep in mind that it will strip any Quick Sealant or any other type of product that you may have on the wheel for protection, so make sure to reapply once the wheels are all cleaned up again!

I typically use APC when removing plastidip from wheels, but I did try Wd40 once on a set of blaze orange wheels. The Wd40 does liquify the plastidip and it can get kinda messy, so I wore a pair of Disposable Detailing Gloves while I did the work.

I will have to give Brilliant Glaze a try on the next set I work on. Since Matt said he has a bunch of Brilliant Glaze that he doesn't use on much else, if it's working for him there's no harm in using up the product if it's just sitting around from Mystery Boxes. Plus I much prefer the smell of it over Wd40 :)

You certainly are entitled to your opinion.  I enjoy using plasti-dip, as do many others.  On the reverse side, there are people who don't.

Anyhow, I'm glad to know BG removes dip; I'll be sure to apply with caution if a said Mystery Box reveals it to me.

Really?

Triton3Series_zpszctkdrj5.jpg

5274CBC9-62AB-438F-B495-CFA38C2D9E36_zps

You have been misinformed.

You should see the new products on the Porsche they just did. WOW!!!

The 90's called. They want their paint jobs back.

I'm not misinformed at all. It is a cheap alternative to real paint that peels in 6 months or less. I'd rather see real paint on a car.

At least that takes talent to shoot.

I'm not misinformed at all. It is a cheap alternative to real paint that peels in 6 months or less. I'd rather see real paint on a car.

Sorry you are misinformed, maybe do some research. While the examples above aren't my style, lately they've had some cool stuff coming out. Their newest product that hasn't been released yet can be compounded and polished and treated as car paint - while still being completely removable. It is glossy. Saying it peels in 6 months or less is also blatantly false, don't know where you got that info from. It is intended to be removable, that is what's great about it, it's not a cheaper alternative to paint unless you want it to be. If it was just a "cheaper alternative" people wouldn't be doing their super cars with it. I used it to black out my emblems (gloss black) and you couldn't tell it wasn't paint - and when I want to sell the car I can peel it off and give it back to the owner in stock form. I'll attach some pictures of more normal looking plasti dip jobs. 

http://imgur.com/a/Uq4o2

Ha ha! Funny guy :-)

6 months if you don't do it right, or if you want to change it. Did the wheels on my GXP 2 years ago and they still look great. Nice thing about dip is its easy to redo. Screw up paint, and it's a whole nother story! And with dip you can change whenever you want. Dipping takes talent too, btw.

Ha ha! Funny guy :-)

6 months if you don't do it right, or if you want to change it. Did the wheels on my GXP 2 years ago and they still look great. Nice thing about dip is its easy to redo. Screw up paint, and it's a whole nother story! And with dip you can change whenever you want. Dipping takes talent too, btw.

I've shot some for friends before. I am aware of what it takes to lay down. It is pretty damn easy and forgiving compared to real paint. IMO no talent needed, especially with a good HVLP gun.

Again I'd rather have real paint. it is easier to keep clean, looks better and isn't ruining the car scene.

Plastidip, bags, and wheels are not builds. Contrary to what palstidip kids think

Sorry you are misinformed, maybe do some research. While the examples above aren't my style, lately they've had some cool stuff coming out. Their newest product that hasn't been released yet can be compounded and polished and treated as car paint - while still being completely removable. It is glossy. Saying it peels in 6 months or less is also blatantly false, don't know where you got that info from. It is intended to be removable, that is what's great about it, it's not a cheaper alternative to paint unless you want it to be. If it was just a "cheaper alternative" people wouldn't be doing their super cars with it. I used it to black out my emblems (gloss black) and you couldn't tell it wasn't paint - and when I want to sell the car I can peel it off and give it back to the owner in stock form. I'll attach some pictures of more normal looking plasti dip jobs. 

http://imgur.com/a/Uq4o2

Not misinformed at all. I've done plenty of research on it and shot plastidip for a friend before. I've seen the stuff that can be done and it reminds me of chameleon paints from the 90's. FFS I am in the VW/Audi scene. I am more than aware of what can be done with plastidip. I probably saw 100+ dipped cars 2 weekends ago at H2Oi.

plasti dip has come so far in such a small amount if time its incredible. DYC has been coming out with some amazing products and I'm seriously exited for the future of the product. Ive used it on pretty much every car I own. 

I personally use goo gone to remove any left over plasti dip once I peel it off. I just spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes, and then pressure wash the plastic dip off once the goo gone has melted it. It works great for things like wheels there it isn't always feasible to reach into all the little nooks and crannies with your fingers.