Customer Service 866.965.0400

Buttery wax and glaze combo application order?

Dwhite0960

Question

I am new to the Adams product line as I am just about to purchase my first few products. I have a new to me lexis is250 f sport in the deep red metallic color which is in rather remarkable shape. I do not believe I need any abrasives to remove any swirls as they are very superficial and you have to really try to see them. After a good wash and clay session do I need to glaze before the wax or do glaze wax and glaze again. I am working by hand as I can not really convince myself I need a da polisher since I have never been one to detail to often but times are changing lol. Any info you have including how to or products I am all ears. I have made a attempt to attach a pic of the car lol. No worries I took care of the fishbowl windows already they are blacked out and looking much better now. Thanks in advance. Daniel

7 answers to this question

First off, welcome Daniel!

There are some posts already here about "new cars" and getting them finished the way you want it.

If you wash, clay, and can see some slight swirls, etc. and don't have a polisher, perhaps some Adam's Revive Polish by hand would eliminate them all before you applied wax, sealant, glaze, etc.?

If you are really just looking to wash, clay and then protect, if it is a daily driver, I would recommend Liquid Paint Sealant over Buttery Wax as the sealant provides longer lasting protection than wax.

You could also apply wax over the sealant, but not the other way around.

I typically apply Brilliant Glaze last, as it will increase the "pop" of shine, but lasts a very short time.

Be sure to check out the Adam's videos for a lot more information on the products and processes to help you make the proper choice for the results you are looking for.

Robert thanks for the kind words. I am rather new to the entire detail world product wise, I used to think there was compound and wax lol. From what I have been reading a sealnt won't bring out the deep dripping wet look that I really think this color car can have. I am not sure if the pic posted or not but I just hand washed it there I have never put a product on this car yet an the paint seems to really pop in the sun. The revive polish you mention, is not somewhat abrasive I am not going to lie i am rather worried about using anything to cut on the car as I think it is in rather good shape to date. If you have a a product lineup suggestion im all ears and if u don't mind giving me application order thanks again

Hi Daniel! Welcome to the forum :) The picture didn't post, other than the one you have as your avatar. You have some great questions!

Even with brand new cars, I will usually need to clay the surface to get them nice and smooth, because they can pick up a lot of contaminants being shipped across the country and sitting on dealer lots. If you feel that's not necessary for your car, then you can absolutely jump to Brilliant Glaze and then Buttery Wax for a nice deep shine and some protection. There isn't really an immediate need to apply another coat of Brilliant Glaze over top of the Buttery Wax - you could wait a few weeks since the Brilliant Glaze is designed to be a shine enhancing product. It doesn't really add any protection like a wax, and it can wash off after a few washes or rain storms, so that is why we recommend applying a wax on top of it. If I'm going to a car show, I will apply another coat of Brilliant Glaze just to give my car that extra 'pop' to the metallic paint! And remember, a little bit of product goes a long way - a few drops of BG on an applicator should be able to cover an entire front fender for example.

Our Revive Hand Polish would be an option after you wash and dry the vehicle and before you apply the Brilliant Glaze, as Robert mentioned. It is a very fine hand polish that would help to clean the paint and minimize some of those very fine imperfections. If you rub the polish between your finger and thumb you can't even really feel any abrasives in it, so as long as you use light pressure with our blue hex grip applicator, you will not create any new scratches or swirl marks on the surface.

I would definitely recommend a two bucket wash method with grit guards, a good pH neutral soap like our Car Shampoo, and quality washing and drying media like our Wash Pads and Great White Drying Towel to keep your finish looking great and to have the least chance of creating swirl marks during the washing and drying process.

Please let us know if you have any other questions :)

Daniel,

Attached a few links to the Adam's videos which may help you in making a choice.

Revive Hand Polish

http://adamspolishes.com/video?video_id=11

Layering Products

http://adamspolishes.com/video?video_id=28

Two Bucket Wash

http://adamspolishes.com/video?video_id=22

Dan also provided great information, so watch these and see if they help you make the right choice for your needs.

Robert and Dan thanks so much for your excellent help. Dan I must of not explained myself very well it is my intentions to do a good clay session to the car prior to any products are applied as I can feel a bit of roughness on the surface. Dan I have some hex logic pads laying around in a detail bag from a guy I work with they are new in the package so if it's avoidable I would rather not buy more pads until I need to. What would you say is equivalent to the blue applicator you spoke of for the revive polish. I use meguiars ultimate car wash for the cleaning I have it readily avalible for free at work and I feel it is adequate enough, I have no show car nor do I plan on trying lol. I am goin to do the following steps and yall let me know if I'm out of line. 1- wash by hand 2 bucket method, 2- hand dry I have a waffle microfiber towel already, 3- clay the car using meguiars ultimate quick detailed and clay bars, 4- revive hand polish planning on white hex logic hand applicator unless I'm incorrect here, 5 brilliant glaze, 6 buttery wax, 7- ice cold beer and recliner with ice pack on elbow lol. Thanks again guys it's exciting getting back into loving a car again had a beater for a few there.

My Impala was the same color as  your Lexus. After claying (with Adam's Detail Spray and Clay Bar) i used Revive by hand, then Glaze and then wax.  I always used Buttery Wax. It looks great.  Then I tried the Americana which lasted longer and gave me better results, and recently bumped up to the Patriot. This is the absolute best stuff.  Long lasting, great shine.  And I still do the majority of the work on my cars by hand. Now I own two lighter colored cars and the H20 Guard and Gloss is my  new favorite stuff on these light colors. You're off to a great start.  Enjoy that Lexus! And have a beer for me!

Hey Daniel, I would say your order looks to be ok. Here is what I would change based on me being a converted box store product user. I would get Adams car shampoo, I still have a jug and a half of Meg's ultimate and I won't use it on my lawn mower after using Adam's. I don't know anything about the applicator you mentioned but the blue hex grip is made to go with the revive and it is only 8 bucks. While your in the applicators get a red hex grip for the brilliant glaze. Buttery is a great product but if this is a daily driver I would use liquid paint sealant or h2oG&G as the durability will be increased from weeks to months. If you want to rub on it some more you can always top either of those with buttery. Just my $.02 from a guy with a tote full of "box store" products collecting dust now that I have fount the light.