Customer Service 866.965.0400

First polish machine

Dwhite0960

Question

Ok fellow addicts I do not want to beat a old question to death but I have read plenty on here and just can not decide what is right for me. I am in the market for my first polisher so I can make the wife's car and my truck look as good as they can. I can not decide on which machine makes the most sense for me for the life of me. I used a pc a buddy had yesterday and the vibration seems after doing my full size pickup that it would become bothersome. I think I have swore this machine off the list just due to this reason. I have a 07 ram quad cab and the wife's car is a lexus is250. After I have brought my skill level up to what I the is acceptable I will try and do a friends car here n there for some quick no Uncle Sam cash. I have found a unit called a waxedshine 6" da polisher online seems to get fair remarks but I'm worried it is a pc like machine, so this makes me uneasy although it is $99 so I wouldn't be out a big amount if it flopped and I just used it for a year or so then used it as a back up after that. The rupes and cyclo seem to get everyone's nod for the best around. I have never run a polisher except the other day on a junk yard hood so I am at a pre k knowledge level besides watching all of adams videos. I would love to hear what yall think is the best machine for a newbie that wants to one day transition to doing a few cars on the side. Thanks. Advance for all of the help.

Those look like Chinese knock-offs of the Rupes and other PC type polishers.  

Do you know what size backing plate & pads your friend had?  The 5.5" plates/pads work much better on the PC that the older 6.5" plate/pad.  I don't have a problem with the vibration, so I don't remember if they reduce that.

It mostly depends on what you want to spend, and how you plan to use the machines.  

The PC is most versitle, the Cyclo is very smooth and great for tighter areas (and works larger areas too).  The Flex is the work horse with it's forced rotation.  The Rupes are more specialized machines, with a small (75E mini), large (15ES), and extra large (21ES).  Their backing plates are not interchangeable, so if you have a 15 or 21, you will need another machine for tight areas (same issue with the Flex).     

Those look like Chinese knock-offs of the Rupes and other PC type polishers.  

Do you know what size backing plate & pads your friend had?  The 5.5" plates/pads work much better on the PC that the older 6.5" plate/pad.  I don't have a problem with the vibration, so I don't remember if they reduce that.

It mostly depends on what you want to spend, and how you plan to use the machines.  

The PC is most versitle, the Cyclo is very smooth and great for tighter areas (and works larger areas too).  The Flex is the work horse with it's forced rotation.  The Rupes are more specialized machines, with a small (75E mini), large (15ES), and extra large (21ES).  Their backing plates are not interchangeable, so if you have a 15 or 21, you will need another machine for tight areas (same issue with the Flex).

Michael thanks for your reply, I do believe that the machine that is $99 is most likely from China no doubt. My theory on it was it is cheaper than the pc so if it is similar then I saved a few bucks for the same production. Now for the rupes 15 and 21 what would you say is the best for car and truck work since I own both. Is the 21 going to make it more akward than a useful tool on the smaller lexus? Also I have limited knowledge on the flex from what I read it is harder to operate is this true when comparing it to the others? I think he said it was the 6 or 6.5 plate on his pc btw.

I have tge cyclo and the flex and the flex blows away the cyclo. Cyclo could for some smaller areas but other then that I don't use it anymore. I polished my wife's terrain last week with the flex and I was surprised that my arms wernt feeling to sore. I'll likely add a rupes mini to my arsenal to handle all the small spots

I have tge cyclo and the flex and the flex blows away the cyclo. Cyclo could for some smaller areas but other then that I don't use it anymore. I polished my wife's terrain last week with the flex and I was surprised that my arms wernt feeling to sore. I'll likely add a rupes mini to my arsenal to handle all the small spots

Ryan, is the cyclo just slower at the correction process or do u consider it inferior? Also have you used the rupes machines to compare them to the flex you have. Thanks for your help

Daniel the Cyclo will be slower than the Flex at correcting a finish, but I wouldn't consider it inferior.  This is my take on each machine.

Cyclo = great all around machine, can cover large areas (2) 4" pads and also works well in smaller areas (machine turned so the pads follow one another in a straight line).

Flex = this is a correcting beast, its forced rotation is almost impossible to stop.  In my experience with this machine it can be slightly harder to control in certain situations.  I use this machine for major corrections only. *I personally own this machine and have used it.

Rupes Mini = great for small areas, I use it to trim around door handles, moldings, vents, etc.  Very smooth operation.  This polisher is not a stand alone machine for polishing an entire car. *I personally own this machine and have used it.

Rupes 15 and 21 = Both are great at correcting the only difference is pad size and orbit. I have the Rupes 15, I use this machine when major correction is not needed, for spreading sealant, etc. *I personally own this machine and have used it.

With that being said I have different machines for different purposes, I have owned 2 PortaCable machines, they aren't bad but I decided a while back to stop buying tools multiple times (both portacables had problems).

If you are looking for a single polisher to due, entire vehicles I would recommend the Cyclo.

Have not used a rupes. I would say the flex is couple steps up on the cyclo. Slower at correcting that's for sure. I would say you can't go wrong on either the flex or rupes. Maybe go with the rupes 15 if it's going to be your only tool. If you go look at the front and rear fenders on a gmc terrain they were hard to do with a forced rotation polisher. The polisher got away from me and I almost hit the car with it lol. Cyclo or a smaller polisher would have worked better. To me it's seems difficult to only have one polisher lol

If I could do it again I'd got the flex first then ordered a rupes mini.

Daniel,

See the attachment for information related to all of the polishers currently sold by Adam's. This was posted earlier this year, and should assist you in making a determination of what polisher meets your specific needs or requirements.

attachicon.gifmachine_comp.pdf

Thanks Robert, I had not seen that gem of a spread sheet yet. I am leaning towards the rupes 21, with that being said should I go with the newer version or wait and see if this model is discounted any? I like the cyclo but it seems it's only good for moderate correction and I know my truck has some seriously rough patches. Thanks again for everyone's excellent answers.

Daniel,

There are several great points being made here. I can tell you the Cyclo can correct some fairly moderate damage.especially with the MF pads. Like Darrell, I have experience with several of the Adams polishers. If you are looking for just one polisher, I would lean towards the Cyclo. It is very versatile and very high quality as well. You said your truck has rough patches. Do you have pictures or can you go into more detail?

The Flex is a heck of a machine and I would agree you could get it and a Mini and pretty much be covered on most vehicles and situations. But if you just get one, I would lean towards the Cyclo with the Rupes 15 a close second. And yes I would wait for the new version of the 15 if you go that way. I know it seems like I am putting the Flex down. I am not, I am just thinking of your experience and what you are using it for along with the fact it seems you want just one. Technically, I think each polisher has a place if you do enough detailing. If you were doing a lot of cars and speed was the ultimate goal along with being able to correct hammered paint frequently, the Flex would be it.

Daniel,

There are several great points being made here. I can tell you the Cyclo can correct some fairly moderate damage.especially with the MF pads. Like Darrell, I have experience with several of the Adams polishers. If you are looking for just one polisher, I would lean towards the Cyclo. It is very versatile and very high quality as well. You said your truck has rough patches. Do you have pictures or can you go into more detail?

The Flex is a heck of a machine and I would agree you could get it and a Mini and pretty much be covered on most vehicles and situations. But if you just get one, I would lean towards the Cyclo with the Rupes 15 a close second. And yes I would wait for the new version of the 15 if you go that way. I know it seems like I am putting the Flex down. I am not, I am just thinking of your experience and what you are using it for along with the fact it seems you want just one. Technically, I think each polisher has a place if you do enough detailing. If you were doing a lot of cars and speed was the ultimate goal along with being able to correct hammered paint frequently, the Flex would be it.

Jamey thanks for the input. I am so torn its a large purchase for me since the price points are high. The flex sounds like it can hammer out some beautiful results but seems it isn't versatile besides just correction. Is it to much for the lps after the correction has been finished to my liking? I think from what I am gathering the 15 is more tight space friendly so it will be more useful on multiple vehicles. The next twist I thought of was if I do the flex or 21 rupes I could get a cheapo China knock off and slam a 4in pad on it for tight spots maybe. Any thought on this?

If it was me, I would wait for the Rupes 15 Mark II, then for the tight spots pick up a used Porter Cable-type or new HF unit (around $60 with discounts, but will need some mods to get the best results).

Could I inquire on these mods lol.

If you're a novice, I wouldn't go with the Flex. It's a great machine with the forced rotation, but it can really fight you sometimes because it never slows down. I personally love the Rupes machines, but I have never tried a Cyclo. My personal choice would be a Rupes 15 and a Rupes Mini, but it doesn't seem like that is in your budget right now.

Try finding someone in your area and maybe they will let you test one out?

The only person I know that does good work with a rupes is a total d bag unfortunately. I tried to ask some basic questions about what products he would recommend before he told me I pay him to not know that.

Well I am still trying to decide what im going to do. I did some you tube vid of the machines in action to get a idea of how big they were on the panel of a vehicle. I think I am leaning towards the rupes over the cyclo. My issue now is the 15 or the duetto with the rupes, I think the 21 is just going to be large for the small lexus the wife has. I am only going to buy one machine for the time, if things pi up and I need more tools i would do so. If you folks were getting just one machine should it be the duetto or the 15. From what I read the correction power is comparable but I like the idea of just a hair smaller unit but I'm not sure if it is as smooth as the 15. Thanks for all the great information once again. Im ready for the sale this week!