Customer Service 866.965.0400

Super VRT Help

DRossow

Question

Applied Super VRT sparingly yesterday, let it set for several hours while I worked on other parts of the truck. I went back over the trim with a utility towel to remove any left over product. Everything seemed dry at the end of the day, this morning after a rain storm, I go out to my truck to this. What is causing this?

post-13129-0-22822300-1448139847_thumb.jpeg

Do you have any H2O Guard and Gloss? I treat all my black plastic with it. It will protect it and make it look like SVRT is on it. I used to use the Quick Sealant but that is going away. In and Out spray is an aerosol version of SVRT.

Edited by Thorsager

I had that happen the first time I used SVRT on my bed rail caps on my truck. It ran down the side after a light rain. After that as I still used SVRT on them I just did not have the sponge to saturated with it and I also used a microfiber towel to knock it down right after I put it on and never had the problem again. I just used H2O GG today for the first time and it does seem to make the trim pop a little.

Thanks everyone, I will keep all recommendations in mind. Next time I will try to use the microfiber applicator instead of the foam block, to prevent over saturation of the foam block. I usually use H2O G&G but skipped it this time in order to do some light polishing on a few areas.

starting to wonder if they are using different plastics for different areas of the trucks as my bed rails had no issues but had the same thing happen on my door handles, not forever but they did have it happen. I just wiped up with detail spray and life was good for me. 

starting to wonder if they are using different plastics for different areas of the trucks as my bed rails had no issues but had the same thing happen on my door handles, not forever but they did have it happen. I just wiped up with detail spray and life was good for me.

They do use different plastics in different areas, most of it comes back to cost. If they can use a little bit cheaper make up of plastic say in the cowl area because it never has people grabbing it or pulling on it they will. That's pretty much across the board on all brands. Just my .02 Edited by blcksilv08

If you're applying to hard plastic it's usually a good idea to take a towel to it afterwards to knock off any excess - this would help prevent running when it gets wet. More porous materials like tires and weatherstrip can better absorb the dressing and wouldn't require this extra step. Should wipe right off the paint though

They do use different plastics in different areas, most of it comes back cost. If they can use a little bit cheaper make up of plastic say in the cowl area because it never has people grabbing it or pulling on it they will. That's pretty much across the board on all brands. Just my .02

I am then wondering if there is something that they use IN that plastic that causes issues. 

I am then wondering if there is something that they use IN that plastic that causes issues.

The actual chemical make up of the plastic I would think has a roll in it along with if the surface is smooth or textured. A quick Google search brings up all the different plastics used in automotive manufacturing.

Did you clean the plastic well first with APC?

Is this necessary each and every time you want to dress the plastic?  Which I usually like to do every time I wash.

I haven't noticed running on my current cars, but when my new truck arrives it will have plastic bed rails as well as various other parts and would hate to have take the time to scrub the plastic each and every time.

No it's not necessary to clean the plastic every time you want to dress it with SVRT, but I would definitely recommend it prior to the first application of SVRT, because you want to get any previous products off of it for the SVRT to work best...especially if the dealership puts anything on there as part of their pre-delivery inspection.

Then you can continue maintaining it with SVRT, cleaning periodically with SVRT when necessary.

Did you clean the plastic well first with APC?

Is this necessary each and every time you want to dress the plastic?  Which I usually like to do every time I wash.

I haven't noticed running on my current cars, but when my new truck arrives it will have plastic bed rails as well as various other parts and would hate to have take the time to scrub the plastic each and every time.

It should not be required each time, but maybe a few times a year.  

The reason for the initial APC cleaning is to remove any old dressings that could affect how VRT works.

No, but if this is the first time the OP used it.  He didn't mention how often he uses it.

Not necessary every single time but if you have runs then it's either excess product or the trim wasn't cleaned enough to absorb the dressing. My trim gets deep cleaned 2-3x a year and dressed every 2 months or so. You'll notice after the initial one or two times you deep clean the trim that it will stay looking good for longer and you don't have to dress it as oftn

Not necessary every single time but if you have runs then it's either excess product or the trim wasn't cleaned enough to absorb the dressing. My trim gets deep cleaned 2-3x a year and dressed every 2 months or so. You'll notice after the initial one or two times you deep clean the trim that it will stay looking good for longer and you don't have to dress it as oftn

great info.  thanks.  I am finding the SVRT to be a really versatile product and like the matted OEM look it gives my plastic trim