Customer Service 866.965.0400

2016 GMC Denali New Car/ Winter Prep

Mythos_S3

Adam’s Polishes Winter Prep on a 2016 GMC Denali

Hello everyone my name is Charlie, I recently started detailing at Adam’s Headquarters in Louisville, CO. My goal is to post write-up’s of the detail’s in order to (A) show you what Adam’s amazing products are capable of, and ( B) help answer any and all questions you may have about the product and how to use it. The first few write-ups may not be perfect as I have never documented my own work before. So please chime in giving me any pointers or ideas you would like to me to show in the future. I hope you enjoy.

This customer recently picked up this beautiful GMC Denali from McCaddon in Boulder, and by recently I mean there were 700 miles on the vehicle. So he called headquarters and requested an exterior new vehicle/ winter prep. Smart guy if you ask me, getting your vehicle protected shortly after delivery is key. When he dropped off the vehicle I was handed the keys and got to work. These are some photos to show you what I was working with.

Please excuse the sideways photos :)

post-13571-0-44214000-1448463999_thumb.jpg

post-13571-0-11801800-1448464002_thumb.jpg

post-13571-0-08398400-1448464005_thumb.jpg

post-13571-0-04145400-1448464008_thumb.jpg

post-13571-0-85844000-1448464010_thumb.jpg

post-13571-0-53798000-1448464013_thumb.jpg

post-13571-0-25687500-1448464016_thumb.jpg

Wheels/Tires/Fenders

I proceed to start the washing process (as you should always do first) with the wheels tires and fenders doing one half of the vehicle at a time. For this step I used Deep Wheel Cleaner, All Purpose Cleaner, a wheel woolie (black), a wheel brush (red), a fender brush (grey), a tire brush (blue) and a lug nut brush (red).

post-13571-0-78067100-1448463945_thumb.jpg

With everything still dry I sprayed down the face and barrels of the wheels with Deep Wheel, and then the fenders and tires with All Purpose. Remember to not let the Deep Wheel Cleaner sit on the wheels very long, a maximum of 4 minutes before rinsing.

post-13571-0-05804200-1448463949_thumb.jpg

When the Deep Wheel reacts with the brake dust it turns purple. So don't scrub them immediately. I scrubbed the face of the wheels with the wheel brush (red) and the lug brush (red handle). Then continued to scrub the barrels with the wheel woolie (black). Once the wheels were done, I scrubbed the fenders using the fender brush (grey) and the tire brush (blue). Finally I rinsed everything and continued to the other side of the Denali.

Wash

On to the hand wash, first I prepped my buckets as well as my foam gun. In my clean soap bucket I put a new wash pad into the bottom and added about 2-3 oz of Adam’s Car Shampoo directly onto the pad and then filled it with clean water. As for my rinse bucket, well I filled it up with clean water obviously.

post-13571-0-17132600-1448462671_thumb.jpg

Now to prep the Adam’s Polishes Foam Gun for ultimate suds action, I added about 2-3 oz of Car Shampoo to the reservoir and filled the rest with warm water.

post-13571-0-86357800-1448462673_thumb.jpg

Starting the wash process I rinsed the car with water to remove as many contaminants as possible. Then came the fun part, the Foam Gun. I Sprayed the whole vehicle down with the foam gun lathering it with suds in order to make optimal lubrication to reduce the risk of scratches.

post-13571-0-81867100-1448462676_thumb.jpg

After the vehicle was drenched with soap I grabbed the wash pad and started scrubbing. When you soap a vehicle you should always wash top down using only straight line motions, never use circular motions. Reason being, straight scratches are easier to buff out as opposed to circular scratches. Also, always rinse the wash pad every couple of panels depending on how dirty the car is and save the bottom third of the car for last or use a different wash pad for these areas as they are always the dirtiest. The less contaminates in the wash pad, the better. When rising the wash pad, I dunk it in the rinse bucket, scrub one side on the grit guard then flip it and scrub the other side followed by ringing out the water before dunking it back in the soap bucket. These extra simple steps can make a huge difference in quality of your paint after just one wash or a one hundred washes. When I was done soaping this huge GMC Denali I rinsed the entire vehicle off. Then I proceeded to the scary step, drying the vehicle.

Drying

post-13571-0-77451900-1448462498_thumb.jpg

Once the car was completely rinsed of all soap, I grabbed a bottle of Adam’s detail spray. I sprayed it all over the entire vehicle, to add lubrication for the drying towel. Drying a car is almost guaranteed to leave minor scratches so adding detail spray greatly reduces the odds. When the car was covered in detail spray, I grabbed a Great White drying towel and starting with the roof and working my way down. When using the towel I applied very light pressure to avoid as many scratches as possible. Using only straight motions (no turns with the towel) I used one side to pick up the majority of the water, then I flipped the towel using the other side to pick up the remaining water thus leaving a streak free finish. Also the reason for only using straight motions; it’s more difficult to see straight scratches and they are more easy to polish out. Continue this process until the entire vehicle is complete.

Clay Bar

After drying the car it was time to clay it. Yes that's right even a vehicle with only 700 miles needs to be clayed. So to start out I checked how rough the paint was using a plastic bag. Using a plastic bag increases your sense of touch. So, very lightly I moved my hand in a plastic bag over the paint, checking all panels. The flat surfaces were worse than the vertical surfaces, most likely from sitting on the dealership's lot.

post-13571-0-92679300-1448462414_thumb.jpg

After checking the surfaces I grabbed the Big Blue Clay Bar and inspected it to make sure it was clean and ready to use. I stretched the clay to about the size of my palm and made sure it was flat by pressing it against the paint (shown below). Then using Adam’s Detail Spray (You should probably buy a gallon of this :)) I sprayed a couple mists on the panel to lubricate the clay bar to give you an idea of how much detail spray there is a photo below.

post-13571-0-42499100-1448462412_thumb.jpg

Again using medium pressure and straight lines, I clayed the surfaces after every few panels you will want to flip the clay inside out to get a fresh surface. Just remember to keep the surface lubricated, the clay should slide across the panel like butter in a pan. You don't have to wipe off the panels until you are done. Also, if you drop the clay bar, DO NOT REUSE IT THROW IT AWAY even if it looks fine, it’s not.

Polishing

Once I had finished claying the Denali, it was time to check for swirls and do some correcting.

The car was in pretty good shape but there were some minor swirls on the GMC as shown below.

post-13571-0-15376500-1448461954_thumb.png

I these are small enough swirls that Adam’s Paint Finishing Polish could take care of them, there was no need for Correcting Polish. My polisher choice was the Cyclo, because I didn't need to do a lot of correcting and the Cyclo covers a large surface area because of the two 4 inch pads. I put 4 dots on each white pad and a mist of detail spray to each pad to add lubrication.

post-13571-0-77179600-1448461963_thumb.jpg

Once the pads were prepped I put the machine on the paint and turned the speed to 2. Then turned the machine “on” just to spread the polish around in about a 4 square foot area (2x2). Then turned the machine off and changed to speed to 5. When polishing you want to use cross hatching technique overlapping about 50% each time (shown below). Once i fished the first panel I wiped the polish residue and inspected the paint, this was to make sure the Paint Finishing Polish did the job. Don't forget this step and do the whole car, then realize that you didn't use a heavier polish.

post-13571-0-71214200-1448461952_thumb.jpg

I don't add very much pressure to the machine because you want make sure the pads are spinning as well as oscillating. Sometimes it helps to mark the pad with a straight line using a sharpie on the side. If the pad is not spinning this means you are applying too much pressure or holding the machine at an angle. I polished over each section about 2-3 times, cross hatching each time until the polish was fully broken down. When fully broken down the polish should look oily almost like Vaseline. You should only have to reapply polish every other panel. If you spray the pad to lubricate it and dab it on the panel you should see some polish on there (it looks white). If not you can reapply polish, two dollops should be enough. Here is the finished product.

post-13571-0-67370700-1448461965_thumb.jpg

Paint Sealant

Once the paint correction was done I was ready to apply the Liquid Paint Sealant (LPS). I continued using the cyclo, but switched to the grey sealant pads. I made an “X” on the pad with LPS and turned the machine speed to 3. I placed to machine on the paint and turned it on. When applying LPS all you want to do is apply it and get even coverage there is no need for multiple passes. So after I applying it to all panels I went back and wiped it all off. If there is still residue on the paint you can use a shot of detail spray to help remove it.

Tire and Fender Dressing

When I use Adam’s Tire Shine I like lots of gloss, so here is my method of applying. I spray the tire liberally and let it soak while spraying down the other tires. Then I come back and using a Hex Grip Tire Applicator I spread the Tire Shine to a nice even Gloss. After spreading the Tire Shine, I use Detail Spray to wipe down the wheels to remove and overspray from the tire shine.  If you don’t like to much gloss, you can spray Tire Shine directly on the applicator and then spread it. As for the fenders I always use Adam’s Invisible Undercarriage Spray (IUS). Whether they are cloth or plastic IUS makes the fender nice and black. All you have to do is spray liberally for a nice even matte finish. Here are the before and after photos.

post-13571-0-48051600-1448465191_thumb.jpg

post-13571-0-24918700-1448465194_thumb.jpg

Trim and Rubber Dressing

The two products I use to make trim a nice rich black is, Adam’s Vinyl, Rubber and Tire Dressing (VRT) as well as In and Out spray. These two products are easy to use and don't leave a greasy residue. I use In and Out spray for the trim around the windows, and the trim below the windshield. I spray it evenly across the trim and use a microfiber to remove any residue and blend the dressing. As for the VRT, I used a foam block and applied it to the step up bars. Apply VRT directly to the block and fold the block together to evenly distribute the dressing. Then I simply the spread the VRT on to the piece of trim I was working with. Work it in until it is an even finish. Make sure you apply these products before doing the windows. Here is the finished product.

post-13571-0-88113900-1448465196_thumb.jpg

Applying Glass Sealant and Cleaning Glass

post-13571-0-46998300-1448465265_thumb.jpg

Adam’s Glass Sealant is a must have for any vehicle and can be applied to all windows. When applying Glass Sealant you should clay the glass first making sure there are no contaminates on the glass. Using a Microfiber Applicator put about 10 drops of the sealant onto the applicator. It doesn't take much. Apply the sealant evenly using cross hatching technique. Allow the sealant to haze up.

post-13571-0-32298100-1448465268_thumb.jpg

Buff off the residue using Adam's Glass Cleaner and a Blue Glass Towel. When properly applied water should bead off in a ridiculous fashion and wipers become almost useless in the rain.

In my opinion this is the best way to clean glass without any streaks. Fold the towel into Quarters. Spray the window with Glass Cleaner. Wipe evenly in straight lines. then flip the towel to the dry side and buff any remaining residue in the same straight lines.

Final Results

This GMC Denali came out great even though it only had 700 miles on it, it still needed some love. Now it is prepped for winter and in showroom condition. Please feel free to ask any and all questions you may have. I am here to answer them. Thanks for looking.

post-13571-0-94362300-1448465273_thumb.jpg

post-13571-0-93688900-1448465284_thumb.jpg

post-13571-0-31380000-1448465291_thumb.jpg

post-13571-0-58033000-1448465297_thumb.jpg

post-13571-0-86900100-1448465309_thumb.jpg

post-13571-0-55727400-1448465313_thumb.jpg

post-13571-0-75109400-1448465321_thumb.jpg

post-13571-0-88570500-1448465325_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mythos_S3

Great write up, very informative. Certainly like seeing the products in the shot showing what you used. I think the photo of how to polish a panel is a great shot and a good explanation of how to do it. 

If I was to pick at all at it, and because you asked, I would have taken photos of how much product you put on an applicator for a given area or group of areas. 

Also great photos overall, I would say the last ones of the completed vehicle are a little over exposed, thou that is easy to do with a white vehicle in a lit bay with the sun coming in on it. Its all in the camera for that one, thou a little technique adjustment or perhaps a different setting could help improve these shots. 

It is hard to show shine on white (having a white truck I understand this) but you certainly got her to show off her shine after some love. Great job on the detail! 

Excellent write-up Charlie, very informative and great job of breaking it up into logical steps and sections :)

Between Charlie doing details at HQ and me doing them on the east coast, expect to start seeing a lot more thorough write-ups like this one on here, especially as we get closer to Spring!

Excellent write-up Charlie, very informative and great job of breaking it up into logical steps and sections :)

Between Charlie doing details at HQ and me doing them on the east coast, expect to start seeing a lot more thorough write-ups like this one on here, especially as we get closer to Spring!

Awesome, they certainly are great reminders and ways to check your own method to ensure you are not only doing it the best way but the most efficient way as well. 

Great write up, very informative. Certainly like seeing the products in the shot showing what you used. I think the photo of how to polish a panel is a great shot and a good explanation of how to do it. 

If I was to pick at all at it, and because you asked, I would have taken photos of how much product you put on an applicator for a given area or group of areas. 

Also great photos overall, I would say the last ones of the completed vehicle are a little over exposed, thou that is easy to do with a white vehicle in a lit bay with the sun coming in on it. Its all in the camera for that one, thou a little technique adjustment or perhaps a different setting could help improve these shots. 

It is hard to show shine on white (having a white truck I understand this) but you certainly got her to show off her shine after some love. Great job on the detail!

Thanks for the feedback! Next one I will try and get proper amounts and how long they should last. It's difficult for me because once I start I just keep going. So I often miss key documentation.

As for the photos, the lighting was terrible, you should see the originals. I'm not much of a "photoshopper" to say the least lol

A good read. THANKS!

I really like that you titled the sections (Tire and Fender Dressing, Paint Sealant...) [/size]and embedded pictures in the relevant sections.[/size]

I'm curious, how long did that take and roughly how much does a service like that cost?[/size]

Thank you I think organization is key!

This took about 4-5 hours. It was $200.

Let me know if there is anything I missed that you would enjoy for the future.

Nice write-up Charlie, and good work on that Denali.  :2thumbs:

I am curious why you did the Trim and Rubber Dressing after the polishing and sealant?  I always have a heck of a time not getting product on the trim when machine polishing and when doing a machine application of a sealant or wax.

Do you usually tape the trim, or are you just really good at not getting it on the trim?  :D

Thanks for the feedback! Next one I will try and get proper amounts and how long they should last. It's difficult for me because once I start I just keep going. So I often miss key documentation.

As for the photos, the lighting was terrible, you should see the originals. I'm not much of a "photoshopper" to say the least lol

Appreciated on the amounts, I know that a lot of times in the videos they are mentioned but sometimes just put on quickly and gone is the view. 

As for the pics, try closing the overhead door and see if getting only one temp of light helps. Also not sure of the camera but try a couple different settings or change the white balance, 

Nice write-up Charlie, and good work on that Denali. :2thumbs:

I am curious why you did the Trim and Rubber Dressing after the polishing and sealant? I always have a heck of a time not getting product on the trim when machine polishing and when doing a machine application of a sealant or wax.

Do you usually tape the trim, or are you just really good at not getting it on the trim? :D

Thank you!

I should have reorganized that. I always do it before the paint work, but I wanted to group all of the paint items together. Next time I will be sure to include that.

Also, if it was full paint correction I would most certainly tape off the trim. It was only a quick one step on a daily driver, so I was just cautious and stayed away from the trim.

Should have stated both of those! Thanks for the feedback.

Amazing write up!! I'll be doing all of this on Friday minus the polishing! Going to be the last 60 degree day for awhile and its time to winterize!

Thank you! Be sure to post some pics of your ride when you are done! And feel free to ask any question you have!

Appreciated on the amounts, I know that a lot of times in the videos they are mentioned but sometimes just put on quickly and gone is the view.

As for the pics, try closing the overhead door and see if getting only one temp of light helps. Also not sure of the camera but try a couple different settings or change the white balance,

I will either do that or just move the vehicle outside! It was shot with my iPhone 6S+ You would think that would suffice. Haha

Thanks again for the ideas.