Customer Service 866.965.0400

Stained leather seat. Any ideas?

Drive XR7

Question

I got take out from my favorite Indian restaurant, and noticed later that some of the curry leaked out of the bag and stained my seat. This is on my old DD so it could be worse, but I'm still not thrilled. I tried Leather and Interior Cleaner, but it made no difference. Any other products or techniques I should try?

post-11084-0-84697300-1448551960_thumb.jpg

post-11084-0-55690800-1448551983_thumb.jpg

12 answers to this question

The proteins found in curry powder bind to whatever they touch, and the spice can discolor fabrics in the same way that a dye will.

Leather can be difficult to clean because it reacts temperamentally to different kinds of chemicals. You can remove a curry stain to a purse, car seats or leather jacket, but the cleaning process will take time.

Things You'll Need

Vaseline

Baby powder

Clean cloths

Apply a generous amount of Vaseline to the curry stain. The Vaseline will be absorbed into the leather and begin to force the stain out. Rub the area thoroughly with a cloth until the stain begins to disappear.

Spray water lightly onto the stain to moisten the area. Do not use too much water or saturate the surface because water will leave its own stain on the leather.

Cover the area with baby powder. The baby powder will absorb the remainder of the stain. Let the powder sit for 12 hours.

Use a slightly damp cloth to clean the baby powder from the leather.

If any of the stain remains, repeat the process.

I got take out from my favorite Indian restaurant, and noticed later that some of the curry leaked out of the bag and stained my seat. This is on my old DD so it could be worse, but I'm still not thrilled. I tried Leather and Interior Cleaner, but it made no difference. Any other products or techniques I should try?

Jason, any luck removing the stain using Robert's instructions?

Also, to prevent this from happening, I use a seat protector that is made to go under car seats.  This one had a back portion too, but I cut it off so only the seat bottom is covered.  When someone needs to sit in this seat, it folds up in quarters and fits in the door pocket.

20151128_121824.jpg

Surprised you don't. My fingers and brain have been slightly disconnected today. 

Truth be told, I have!  :D

But normally don't, depends on if they have dirty pants.

When the truck was still fairly new, I went out to a jobsite to meet a painter about a water tank.  His truck had a big trailer with equipment on it, so he could not drive the goat trail up to the tank.  He asked if he could ride with me, and he is a good guy so I said sure.  He did sit on the seat pad, and was afraid to touch anything else in the truck, so he sat there leaning forward so his back would not touch the seat because he was afraid of getting anything dirty.  :lol:

I do joke with some female co-workers about having to wear a hair-net if their long hair is down.  And glitter is not allowed, no joke.  :angry:

Truth be told, I have!  :D

But normally don't, depends on if they have dirty pants.

When the truck was still fairly new, I went out to a jobsite to meet a painter about a water tank.  His truck had a big trailer with equipment on it, so he could not drive the goat trail up to the tank.  He asked if he could ride with me, and he is a good guy so I said sure.  He did sit on the seat pad, and was afraid to touch anything else in the truck, so he sat there leaning forward so his back would not touch the seat because he was afraid of getting anything dirty.  :lol:

I do joke with some female co-workers about having to wear a hair-net if their long hair is down.  And glitter is not allowed, no joke.  :angry:

Who doesn't think Dan's truck needs some sparkle????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4vDZ_QYZ8g

Guest washemup

The Vaseline and Baby powder will work.

I do upholstery work for a living, and during the course of material being, cut, sewn, moved to the frame, and upholstered to the frame, accidents happen. For leather or vinyl, Mohawk Ink Remover is fantastic for most all stains, except something like a permanent marker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG4pjoG27_s

Edited by washemup