Customer Service 866.965.0400

Can I use the old 4" pads on the Rupes 75 mini?

landshark

Question

As title said. I still have some unused previous generation 4" pads, those with a plastic rim at the back. Would those pads fit on a Rupes 75 mini? Or I'll need all new Gen5 pads?

Want to take advantage of the Black Friday sales and finally get the Rupes mini. :)

6 answers to this question

Sorry Robert, I have to disagree on this one. I just spoke with Dylan and it is NOT recommended to use our previous generation 4" pads with the plastic rim on the Rupes Mini. While they do barely fit over the backing plate, the plastic rim prevents full adhesion of the Velcro and can make the pads come off of the machine at 12mm of orbit. It has too much strength for the older pads, and as Dylan stated, it would be a "good way to have a really bad plate to paint accident", which you would absolutely want to avoid. Yes, the Cyclo uses the same diameter backing plate and the older generation pads are safe to use on it; but it also oscillates at a considerably lower speed than the Rupes Mini.

I've personally tried out the 4" orange foam pad on the Mini before for some very small spot correcting for the Winter Prep Tundra write-up that I did, pressing down very firmly on the pad, but I could still feel it want to flex and wobble a little if I did not have the pad face perfectly flat with the surface.

So we cannot safely recommend this as an option. For less than $33 dollars with the BF15 code right now, you can get 2 Gen5 4" orange foam and white foam pads, as a much safer alternative.

I stopped using my older 4" pads with paint polishers because of the plastic ring. I use mine with a Chicago Pneumatic DA for HLR and thats it. If something bad happens, oh well its a headlight. It can ether be polished out or replaced for a lot cheaper than repainting a panel.

Edited by Kingsford