Customer Service 866.965.0400

Confusion About Rinseless Wash Dilution Ratios

Texas Moe

Question

Okay, I did my first Rinseless Wash the other day and my pickup came out great.  But I was confused about dilution ratios because math is not my friend.  I've been all over this thread about ratios (http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27546-pro-tip-dilution-ratios/?p=432809) so I knew that the proper dilution was 16:1.  So for the 32 oz. spray bottle, I calculated that I would need just under 2 oz. of RW.

The confusion came when it was time to fill my wash bucket.  I used the same ratio as above which burned up a crap ton of product.  What confused me was that Dylan and Adam both use much smaller amounts of product (1-2 oz. per gallon) in the wash bucket in the below videos.

I clearly used too much product in the wash bucket because, I think, I was confusing the Rinseless Wash "spray" (similar to the Detail Spray or Waterless Wash) with the Rinseless Wash "process".  I'm sharing this for three reasons:

1. To make sure I finally understand the process
  2. So other rooks can learn from my mistake
  3. To ask if there is a set dilution ratio for the RW wash bucket

As you can imagine, my pickup is really shiny.

22 answers to this question

Mark,

You are correct, the 16:1 ratio is designed to be used as a Waterless Wash alternative.  When performing a rinseless wash with a bucket of water, the correct ratio is 256:1 which equals 1oz of Rinseless Wash for every 2 gallons of water.  If you would like, I have put together a dilutions ratio spreadsheet along with a list of common product dilutions that I would be more than happy to send you.

Edited by James__

James hit it for the bucket dilution...

But if the math is confusing just think of it like this... 16:1 dilution ratio is just this, for every 16oz of water you add 1oz of product. So for 32oz (actually 34oz) add 16oz of water then add 1oz, repeat.

I suggest to always read what the bottle says... that would have solved your problem

This - and for what its worth, yes the 16:1 is the "wipe down" or "pre soaking" dilution of Rinseless.

In the bucket itself you need a much less dilution, you can use 1/2 oz to 1 oz per gallon max.  Its not an exact science, but I wouldn't use over 1 oz per gallon in the bucket, if you are using tap water.  If you are using distill or DI water in the bucket you only need 1/2 oz per gallon.

HOWEVER

Rinseless concentrates are very user friendly.  One guy may be using 1/2 oz per gallon with great results, while someone like you may have added more than was necessary and was still happy with the results.  More polymer and concentrate in the bucket makes for a slicker solution and a glossier finish.  So start with whats on the bottle for a starting point, but if you want to use some more in the bucket, by all means go for it.  Always nice to hear results from people going outside the box.

Usually if you are using more concentrate you are adding more cleaning power, more slickness and gloss, and you may also be adding more cleaning power to your bucket of towels.  However, using more is not necessary to get great results. 

I have used a concentrate which advertises 1/4 oz per gallon but the owner states that he sometimes uses 1 oz per gallon for more slickness and gloss.  Rinseless is very user friendly, hope you liked it.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Mark,

You are correct, the 16:1 ratio is designed to be used as a Waterless Wash alternative.  When performing a rinseless wash with a bucket of water, the correct ratio is 256:1 which equals 1oz of Rinseless Wash for every 2 gallons of water.  If you would like, I have put together a dilutions ratio spreadsheet along with a list of common product dilutions that I would be more than happy to send you.

James, thanks for the clarifications and the offer of the spreadsheet.  Yes, I'd love a copy of the spreadsheet if it's not too much trouble.  I think I've seen it posted in other threads so I might be able to find it by search.

I suggest to always read what the bottle says... that would have solved your problem

Tim, I have to admit that this is one on me, for sure.  I'm on these boards daily (sometimes hourly) and I've watched all the videos and read all the threads that I could find about the RW.  It never once occurred to me to check the bottle for instructions.  A good lesson for me.

So start with whats on the bottle for a starting point, but if you want to use some more in the bucket, by all means go for it.  Always nice to hear results from people going outside the box.

Usually if you are using more concentrate you are adding more cleaning power, more slickness and gloss, and you may also be adding more cleaning power to your bucket of towels.  However, using more is not necessary to get great results. 

I have used a concentrate which advertises 1/4 oz per gallon but the owner states that he sometimes uses 1 oz per gallon for more slickness and gloss.  Rinseless is very user friendly, hope you liked it.

Jason, I did like the product very much and the process was just what I was looking for.  For some reason, the two bucket wash just never appealed to me so it's nice to have such an easy alternative. 

Also, I appreciate the advice you give about thinking about RW in different ways.  Not just the different uses, but the different concentrations, too.  I will definitely play around with the concentrations.

Mark,

Hi James can I get in on this spread sheet as I have a problem with ratios aswell. Thanks

Tim, I have to admit that this is one on me, for sure.  I'm on these boards daily (sometimes hourly) and I've watched all the videos and read all the threads that I could find about the RW.  It never once occurred to me to check the bottle for instructions.  A good lesson for me.

Happens to all of us! People sometimes like to make things more complicated than they need to be when a quick read on the back of the bottle is all that's necessary. Not like you hurt anything, just a few dollars of wasted product. Live and learn

Mark,

If possible, it would be great if I could receive a copy of your chart. I'm not the best when it comes to ratios either lol.