Customer Service 866.965.0400

FedEx is Strange

Rich

So my order got shipped from Colorado on the 4th, I live in Johnstown Pa which is 63 miles SE of Pittsburgh.  Yesterday my package went 181 miles EAST of me to Columbia Md  and now today, it went past me again and is now 100 miles north WEST of me in Grove City Pa. At one point..........it was actually as close as 30 miles!  And according to Fed Ex tracking, it's still going to take 3 more days to get here!  Where could they possibly send it next??  Maybe Philly?  Or NY?  Any guesses?

:confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :lolsmack:

So my order got shipped from Colorado on the 4th, I live in Johnstown Pa which is 63 miles SE of Pittsburgh.  Yesterday my package went 181 miles EAST of me to Columbia Md  and now today, it went past me again and is now 100 miles north WEST of me in Grove City Pa. At one point..........it was actually as close as 30 miles!  And according to Fed Ex tracking, it's still going to take 3 more days to get here!  Where could they possibly send it next??  Maybe Philly?  Or NY?  Any guesses?

:confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :lolsmack:

Maybe it was mis-loaded and taking a tour of the East Coast.  Wouldn't surprise if that were the case.  I had a package that came FedEx and was here locally two days early and they held onto it until the scheduled delivery date.  

I got a package today from PA (I'm in MT) and I ordered it Friday afternoon.... But it was on UPS...what can brown do for you!?

It wasn't shipped from PA.  It was probably drop shipped from some place close to you, with a return address of PA.

Edited by LFairbanks

Our Christmas present from my parents a few years ago took almost 3 weeks to get to us, 2-3 days from Ohio to Vancouver, then approx 2 weeks of going from Vancouver to Portland to Seattle and back to Portland. The last part, it went back and forth from Vancouver to Portland a couple times before being delivered.

It wasn't shipped from PA. It was probably drop shipped from some place close to you, with a return address of PA.

It actually was...it came from the PA warehouse and I knew that before I placed the order... I'm in MT... Nothing is close to me lol

It actually was...it came from the PA warehouse and I knew that before I placed the order... I'm in MT... Nothing is close to me lol

You mean people actually LIVE in Montana??  Of their own free will?   :lolsmack:

You must have had it sent next day air.  No way that it was sent ground from Pennsylvania to Montana with a transit time of the weekend.  Volume at UPS isn't processed on the weekends.  Time in transit is based off of business days.

I have seen stuff sent over night from the Western US to France on a Friday and arrive on Monday however.

post-706-0-16888300-1455023487_thumb.png

Edited by LFairbanks

I have had similar instances where something has shipped fast over the weekend.  Provided that the package was processed on Friday before COB, it very well could have made it there even by ground.  No processing will happen during the weekend but the packages don't all just stop in their tracks once the weekend comes.  If it was already processed and being sent before the weekend, the package would have continued to ship through the weekend allowing it to arrive at its destination on Monday.

Longtime (too long) FedEx employee.  There are too many factors that could result in what looks like 'crazy' or inefficient routing of a particular shipment.  Like BluedogGMC stated, the handing off to USPS can further complicate things.  If you want to PM me your tracking information, I'll be glad to take a closer look.

I can take a look at it for you as well Rich.

I was most likely shipped as FedEx SmartPost. We just started using this shipping option about 2 months ago as a more affordable shipping method, but it does add longer ship times for when FedEx hands off the package to USPS.

Shipping costs in general are high for heavy detail products, and we know it's not fun paying that extra amount. Maybe we should do a poll to see if people would rather have smaller discounts and free shipping or bigger discounts and increased shipping costs? Right now we're trying to do a happy medium of both.

Dan,

I think the way Adam's handles shipping is fair. We have the option for free shipping often, discounted shipping at a slower speed, or faster shipping by paying more. It comes down to how bad the buyer wants it to come in sooner than later. If FedEx SmartPost was the only available shipping option, it would be a serious problem as it is an inefficient shipping method (by no fault of Adam's!). However, it is a cheaper alternative that the buyer can opt for if they wish to, at which time they accept that the shipping time will likely take a week or even longer depending on location. The way that FedEx and USPS handle packages when working in conjunction with each other is goofy but I don't see a problem with it as a cheaper option the buyer can select. (Maybe add a disclaimer on the shipping page for SmartPost stating it may drastically increase shipping times?)

Edited by James__

I agree with James.  :iagree:  If you want it that badly, pony up for the quick shipping.  I can't honestly find a time that I had to have something by a certain day.  If I did, I'm sure I paid extra to ensure its prompt arrival.  

Plus, if you buy enough gallons, it can't ship SmartPost anyways!   :jester:

USPS is fun for me.... We live 60 miles south of Chicago on the Illinois Indiana border. Anything coming from North of us goes from Chicago, travels through our county on I-57 to Central Illinois  where the Champaign sorting center is, back up I-57 to our town. It's a logistics nightmare. 

Agreed.  I'm not complaining about the shipping.  I just found it amusing that it has gone past where I live twice already and still won't get here for another two days.  I thought it went from Colorado to Baltimore and then to Grove City Pa, but upon looking more closely, it went back to Grove City OHIO!  Even further west. I understand that it all has to do with distribution centers or processing center locations, but wouldn't you think it was more logical to just send it to Ohio and then Pa and skip Baltimore???  I understand now why things freeze.

I guess that's why I was a steelworker and not a logistics guy.

But I wasn't complaining about the shipping.  Just found it funny.

That is pretty funny Rich.  I wasn't implying that you were complaining at all, just adding to what Dan had suggested.  It's amusing to see how "addicted" we all are....it's as if we are driving the packages around ourselves with how closely we track them.  

Agreed. I'm not complaining about the shipping. I just found it amusing that it has gone past where I live twice already and still won't get here for another two days. I thought it went from Colorado to Baltimore and then to Grove City Pa, but upon looking more closely, it went back to Grove City OHIO! Even further west. I understand that it all has to do with distribution centers or processing center locations, but wouldn't you think it was more logical to just send it to Ohio and then Pa and skip Baltimore??? I understand now why things freeze.

I guess that's why I was a steelworker and not a logistics guy.

But I wasn't complaining about the shipping. Just found it funny.

Yeah, I absolutely agree with you! I know you weren't complaining, I was replying to Dan when he said something about exploring different avenues on pricing shipping.

FedEx can be quick when they receive and deliver the package. But if they have to hand it off to USPS... Then they may as well have given a monkey a marker and a map and followed his suggested route...

Edited by James__

FedEx can be quick when they receive and deliver the package. But if they have to hand it off to USPS... Then they may as well have given a monkey a marker and a map and folloed his suggested route...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: