Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning Off Rubber On Lower Panels

scott750

Question

I just went to the track this past weekend and after 5 passes with a burnout each time, I've got rubber all over my rear quarter panels. I was able to knock off about 80% of it by hand.

But is there an easy and safe way to remove the rest? Should I use wd40 and treat it like road tar?

20160206_180332_zpszcwbc1aw.jpg

20160206_144815_zps58dtbplv.jpg

12 answers to this question

I used to race one of my old trucks that I also showed so this came up often. I had a good success rate with wd40. After a couple times of having to remove the rubber and praying I didn't damage the finish, I started using wide masking tape on the rocker panels behind the rear wheels before hitting the track. It doesn't look great but it kept 95%+ of the rubber off my rockers and made cleanup afterwards a breeze. Not to mention I didn't have to worry about scratching it while removing the rubber later.

I've used blue painter's tape for autocross and drag race events, but it does look a little silly.

If I ever get back into drag racing, I think I will try using clear plastidip and spraying about 5 coats on that area and then just peel it off afterward.

I've used blue painter's tape for autocross and drag race events, but it does look a little silly.

If I ever get back into drag racing, I think I will try using clear plastidip and spraying about 5 coats on that area and then just peel it off afterward.

That's a good idea.  And if you tape it off when applying it to give it a hard edge, it will be easy to remove.

Blue painter's tape is what I used to use too and it did look pretty goofy.  But when I was at the track, I swapped my tack set of wheels and tires on to the back of the truck - steelies and drag radials - so the whole truck looked a little goofy.  but I was more worried about making those fast passes :D

Edited by James__

Many of the guys I see autoxing have painters tape protecting the front end and rear quarter panels.

WD-40 will not help beforehand, but it does for cleanup afterward.

Do not use regular masking tape!  Only use painter's tape.  It comes in multiple colors now.  On top of your usual hardware store, check with your local automotive paint supplier.

Pam works okay, but silicone food spray works better:

http://www.westonsupply.com/Weston-Food-Grade-Silicone-Spray-p/03-0101-w.htm

You might also consider Burnout Guard.  It works great with slicks, but I'm not sure how well it will work with regular street tires:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Geddex/432/321/10002/-1

You can also put a heavy coat of paste wax on the quarterpanels before you race, but do not wipe it off until you are done and are cleaning the car up.