Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clear Coat Pen

Erictski

Question

anyone have experience with any of the various clear coat pens on the market?  Supposed to be for filling larger/deeper scratches that are more than swirl marks.  Just curious how well these products work if you would put it on then polish it with correcting polish.

6 answers to this question

I never knew they made such a thing.  

ive seen quite a few.  I have a couple deeper scratches that aren't through to the base coat.

they are like a pen/marker.  they have them online or even at the car dealerships and auto stores like NAPA but I have never tried one. 

Thought about trying it on my old car I plan to sell just to see how it works.

Thought about trying it on my old car I plan to sell just to see how it works.

I do the same thing with my truck.  My wife thinks I'm trying to resurrect it or something, but I tell her I'd rather screw up that one even more than make her pretty NEW car look bad.  Gotta test on something!

If you go that route, post up some before and after pics.

If you're expecting something smooth and barely noticeable, you'll be disappointed.  I've seen lots of cars come through my shop with mediocre attempts by owners filling in light scratches.  To get something thin enough to "fit" into most scratches, it won't let any clear (or paint) flow through it.  The best technique is to fill it and then smooth it as best as possible either chemically or physically by sanding.  Both of which may not be best suited for the average DIY'er as you run the risk of inflicting more damage to surrounding areas.  

- Darryl

If you're expecting something smooth and barely noticeable, you'll be disappointed.  I've seen lots of cars come through my shop with mediocre attempts by owners filling in light scratches.  To get something thin enough to "fit" into most scratches, it won't let any clear (or paint) flow through it.  The best technique is to fill it and then smooth it as best as possible either chemically or physically by sanding.  Both of which may not be best suited for the average DIY'er as you run the risk of inflicting more damage to surrounding areas.  

- Darryl

THANKS DARRYL.

Looks like I may have to do a little more research/youtube search on these products.