Customer Service 866.965.0400

Nasty tires

chevylovinfordtech

Question

After about 6 washes with violent scrubbing I finally got this crud off of my tires that APC would not even touch, I am told it's clay that is in the air during these desert dust storms

That thing I finally used? It was wheel cleaner that finally was able to break it down. It's not 100% but sure better than it was.

post-13899-0-31268600-1462412397_thumb.jpg

post-13899-0-53301800-1462412435_thumb.jpg

post-13899-0-93850900-1462412510_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

If you live anywhere that there is light colored clay, you will understand just how much it can stain rubber and even plastic to the point harsh chemicals are necessary to remove it.  Here in Oklahoma a large part of our state is red clay that stains tires horribly, even when it's a dry dust in the air.  

However, because the tread, even in areas that do not make contact with the road, is largely still black, it is likely that the discoloration you were seeing is due to Tire Blooming.  Check out the link Chris posted above for tire maintenance information and tips.  

My tires see a lot of dirt that dries out the rubber on jobsites for work so I scrub them each wash to keep them dark and rich even before applying VRT or Tire Shine.  I clean my tires with Simple Green (Diluted 2:1 if not very dirty, 1:1 for standard cleaning, full strength for very dirt tires) as I know it is biodegradable and safe and it takes quite a bit to clean the surface area on my tires so much of it winds up on the ground.

you guys tried Bleche White? it was made by Westley's? now Black Magic stuck their name on it. 

spray it on a dry tire liberally and watch it do its thing. This stuff work. I then scrub with a soft brush. DON'T let it dry on the tire. 

Edited by diamondwhite

I have always had to best success with the B______ White stuff, but I always shy away from it when I get a new truck. It's strong stuff and I worry that it might damage my wheels. I just don't really know.

I have always had great luck with the All Purpose Cleaner. If the tires are really nasty I may just have to do them twice. But if I just stay on top of them then I have no problems.