Customer Service 866.965.0400

How often do you use orange foam pad over orange mf pad

Z06Seal

Question

Hey everyone,

Been awol from here for some time. Actually just clayed and sealed the Stingray and cleaned up the wife's car yesterday and today.

Well I just bought me a 2011 CL550 that I'm picking up from TX Monday and I'm pretty excited. I had the car checked at a third party mechanic and he rated the car 8/10 with some white specks on the paint (paint overspray?) I will see the condition when I go on Monday to get it. I'm not too worried about it.

Car is 5 years old and has about 50K miles. It was also a lease so I'm expecting the paint to be in "car washed couple times a month" condition. Probably lots of swirl marks etc. It's a black car too, so it will be obvious to see...

anyways... Got me thinking. I usually never achieve where I want to be unless I start off with the orange mf pads. I can never go right to the orange foam pad and do my thing. 

so it got me curious. Do you guys usually go right the MF pad too when the car needs that 1st time good polishing on dark colors? Ever get away with just starting on the orange foam pads?

I'm not sure if I'll do PFP because I've usually had enough after 1 step lol. orange mf to foam already is 2 steps and just too much for me. I start to lose interest and just usually want to finish the job. but we will see. 

Goal is to make the car look like new from outside.

edit to add: I forgot to mention I use a flex and a PC for the smaller spots

Edited by Z06Seal

8 answers to this question

What type of machine are you using Emir? I usually two step my black cars. Black is just really difficult to get perfect. But it really depends on what you are happy with. I typically use the orange foam pad with the Flex and finish with white foam and PFP. The point being start with the least aggressive method. I have one stepped it on my black car as well, but the paint had previously been corrected and that was a one step with the white foam and PFP and a dab or two of Revive.

What type of machine are you using Emir? I usually two step my black cars. Black is just really difficult to get perfect. But it really depends on what you are happy with. I typically use the orange foam pad with the Flex and finish with white foam and PFP. The point being start with the least aggressive method. I have one stepped it on my black car as well, but the paint had previously been corrected and that was a one step with the white foam and PFP and a dab or two of Revive.

Oops, forgot to mention. I use a Flex. 

Yeah I usually start with the least aggressive (usually start off with PCP and foam) but I always reach for the MF pads instead. I just feel like the orange foam pads don't cut much unless the car is practically new (and I buy all my cars new except this CL because I can't afford a new one LOL) which goes to say something because I still go get the orange mf pad lol

Some paint respond better to foam than others, depends. I don't even bother trying PFP when I do correction. I start with orange foam and if I don't like the result in 1 pass, I try the MF orange and see where it brings me.

Most car only requires me to do either 1 pass of orange foam or 1 pass of orange MF and I always follow with white foam. If I need more than 1 pass of either orange, I start to swear.

I also have the Flex

I would say try slowing down your arm movement some with the orange foam and see if that makes a difference. I think it might surprise you. If you are already moving slow and steady then maybe you will have to bump it up to the mf pads. Either way just start with the section/panel that represents the overall condition of the paint best and do a 2x2 section. Then you will know.

I typically just do one or the other. I also use the flex. I've had great luck just using the foam or the mf on a couple of black cars and have achieved damn near perfect results so I don"t find it necessary to move onto the PFP and white pad.

Guest washemup

Mercedes paint is very hard, the microfiber pad and your Flex should do the trick if paint is swirled up.

It's a good thing you have the Flex, it's correction power is needed for paint this hard.

Once you get the swirls out, finishing is a breeze.

Edited by washemup