Customer Service 866.965.0400

Trying some new products

hemi1300

Question

Couldn't help myself with the sale and new products hitting the site. Ordered 2 washboard grit guard inserts and decided to grab 12 of the new single soft towels. Hopefully these new towels don't lint like the old one's, have noticed recently my ss towels that are not that old, have been linting with ds wipe downs which is quite aggravating, so I mainly just use them for polish removal now

16 answers to this question

If towels begin linting like that, it's possible they have some contamination in them. How often do you wash them and what is your wash process/what do you use to wash them with?

With all of our premium plush microfiber towels, it is best to wash them before first use to make sure any possible extra strands of fiber from the manufacturing process are removed :thumbsup: 

If towels begin linting like that, it's possible they have some contamination in them. How often do you wash them and what is your wash process/what do you use to wash them with?

With all of our premium plush microfiber towels, it is best to wash them before first use to make sure any possible extra strands of fiber from the manufacturing process are removed :thumbsup:

This ^^

The towels are still manufactured in an industrial process, likely as a large sheet then cut into smaller appropriate sizes so there will always be some excess material that is not connected to the towel itself.  I always run mine through a couple wash cycles prior to use because I know there is very little that is as aggravating as pushing around lint while I try to remove it from a freshly detailed truck.

Yes I washed them before use. Use microfiber revitalizer every wash and wash only the white single softs and double together. Weird bc I have never had any lint issue with the orange or grey towels, just seems to be the single soft I sometimes have a problem with a bit of linting

My single softs lint real bad too, wash them with revitalizer & boiled them also. I've pretty much phased them out & use double softs for everything. 

Does it take a while to de-lint new towels?

I like to dry with the double softs and mine are still linting pretty bad too.  When i got them I washed in plain water on warm.  Now I wash after every use. My method is lay them out flat, spritz with Adams Microfiber solution, flip and spritz other side. Let sit about 30 minutes and wash in warm.  Dry until almost dry but not totally then air dry overnight the rest of way and store until next use.

Its really not bad but I always end up with lint in corners and a lot of it on glass. I would rather not do glass cleaner and glass microfiber towels every wash.

Thought maybe this is just part of the territory for fluffy towels :P

Super Plush towels that are 800+ gsm (double soft is 1100gsm for example) will almost always lint a tiny bit on glass, which is why I use utility towels, all purpose towels, or waffle weaves on glass personally - go over the glass with the double soft to dry the bulk and then if you have the 16x24 waterless waffle weave towels give a final wipe with them on the glass for lint and streak free.  You shouldn't be getting much if any linting on paint however.

If the lint is EXTREME, may be another issue - my Double Softs and Single Softs barely lint at all and my washing/drying regimen is similar to yours

Edited by Ricky Bobby

If the lint is EXTREME, may be another issue - my Double Softs and Single Softs barely lint at all and my washing/drying regimen is similar to yours

Definitely not extreme. They are great towels but I do get some lint. I will switch towels on glass for the final wipe down.

I just wondered if that went away.

Its because the glass has microscopic pores and pits in it that "grab" on the plush fibers of the towel - that is my theory

Same thoughts. No matter how smooth glass feels, once it gets out into the world and hit by dust and dirt at 60 mph, I would think it would be jagged.

We can find out! I have a digital microscope I can use to look at my windshield at 100-200x.

When your MF towels start linting try boiling them.......

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27969-faq-how-do-i-take-care-of-my-microfiber-towels/

BOILING YOUR TOWELS:

Over time your microfiber may become contaminated past the point it can be completely cleaned using traditional methods. Typically this will present itself during use - drying towels will begin to feel less absorbent. Plush towels may lint slightly or smear products more than remove them. This is an indication that the fibers are 'full' either from residues deposited during use or things like fabric softener accidentally introduced during cleaning.

In any event, if your towels begin to loose their performance or just don't feel as good as they did new boiling is the solution, the last resort, to bring them back. NOTE: this process applies only to towels and microfiber without foam cores or backing. Never boil pads or applicators. 

• Fill a large cooking pot approximately 2/3rd full of water and bring to a boil
  • Add approximately 1-2oz of distilled white vinegar per gallon of water and stir
  • Place a few of the towels to be treated into the pot, maintaining a slow boil
  • Stir continuously with a large spoon, avoid letting the towels rest against the bottom or sides for too long
  • After about 60-90 seconds in the boil, remove the towels using tongs and rinse under cool water
  • Wash using the "Regular Cleaning" guidelines outlined earlier and they should be as good as new.

NOTE: Should boiling fail to bring absorbancy to a towel or the towel continues to lint then you are most likely dealing with a towel at the end of its lifespan. Retire the towel to less important tasks and replace with a new one for future use.