Customer Service 866.965.0400

How much wheel cleaner is too much?

lamb110

Question

I did this at first too, what I've switched to doing is, do the wheel cleaner as you've done. and use some H2O G&G or Liquid paint sealant to help keep dirt off of them and/or much easier to clean after. I just use some car shampoo and my wheel woolie!

LPS on my wheels and regular shampoo at wash time. Fortunately all my wheels as basic and easy to clean.

The only reason I have wheel cleaner on my cart is for removing paint contamination. Its too expensive for me to use on wheels.

Wheel Cleaner, Sealant, followed Shampoo maintenance washes works for me!

When using Wheel Cleaner, the amount used depends on how dirty, how big, and how much of the wheel is being cleaned. My Corvette has 19" front, 20" rear diameters and 10"/12" widths respectively. Do all 4 wheels, including the barrels, and the better part of a 16 oz. bottle of Wheel Cleaner is GONE! 

I use it every time I do the rims. I spray very little on the rims and use my lug nut brush to spread it out. If I need more I spray more that way I don't go through a ton of product like I did the first time I used it.

I have not used the new product, so keep in mind my experience is still with the previous version. 

I can easily get 4 or more applications on my F250 form a 16oz bottle. I use about 5 sprays per rim and have the standard 5 spoke design. I used to use it quite often until I learned about the paint sealant on rims trick, now, barely need it at all. 

I also HIGHLY recomend the wheel wooly, and for really trashed rims (never cleaned) the turbo stick to get into the barrels of the wheel.  

+1 for sealant and car shampoo to clean wheels. I am cleaning the car at least weekly so it never builds up.

I only used a little wheel cleaner for paint decontamination, so what I do is dilute it 1:1 with water and use it to clean my girlfriends as of yet un-sealed wheels or those of friends who stop by and want to do a wash. The stuff is pretty strong, I would only use it at full strength for really trashed and neglected wheels.

I don't use it on my wheels because I want to maintain the sealant and G&G.

Edited by butters

i dilute the wheel cleaner both new wheel and old deep wheel cleaner 1:1 to save some in the long rung as it still workgs great with no issues, your just making you cleaner last longer!

I did that recently on some wheels on my father in law's car. It still worked great at 1:1 and they were pretty dirty.

How are you guys applying the sealant or G&G onto the wheels? After they're clean and the same way you would do it on the paint? Thanks!

Also, I have black, satin wheels. Do you think that using G&G or paint sealant will be a problem? 

I used the following process for applying G&G to my wheels (the only place I really used it in my recent details):

- Spray G&G directly only the wheels

- Use a soaking wet microfiber to spread it around the wheels

- Use a dry microfiber to buff off

The process itself is pretty simple and works well.  I try to keep the wheels sealed since it makes cleaning them that much easier.  If I let it go for a while, I have to use DWC again to clean them and reseal.

I used the following process for applying G&G to my wheels (the only place I really used it in my recent details):

- Spray G&G directly only the wheels

- Use a soaking wet microfiber to spread it around the wheels

- Use a dry microfiber to buff off

The process itself is pretty simple and works well.  I try to keep the wheels sealed since it makes cleaning them that much easier.  If I let it go for a while, I have to use DWC again to clean them and reseal.

Any thoughts on how the G&G will work on black, satin wheels? Do you ever follow up with LPS?

I haven't used it on satin wheels, but I can't imagine it would be an issue.  I don't feel the need to follow up the G&G on the wheels with LPS since the G&G is a sealant already.  I just keep up on it's application since it's so quick and easy to apply.  By spraying it instead of spreading it like the LPS it's easier to get even coverage on the surfaces of wheels. 

I'd have no issue using G&G on a satin wheel and I think you'd be happy with the results.

A 16oz bottle is more than enough for my 3 daily drivers to last a year. I usually only need it in spring and fall, when I reapply my LPS.

Would not have guessed this, but great to know. I'm already on my second bottle after a few months, so probably using too much. I'll apply LPS next detail and save some money...for the next MB sale (just bought multiple). Ha.

Wanted to put these up in my post yesterday, but Photobucket was having issues.

Anyways...

These wheels hadn't been cleaned for three months, I cleaned them Sunday. I used just shy of 16 ounces of wheel cleaner to go from the first pic to the last. My guess; 4 ounces on the fronts, and 3 ounces on the rears. Faces, spokes and barrels cleaned. I snapped some shots of the LF:

IMG_0784resize_zpsr0w28tod.jpg

IMG_0785resize_zpsvxx7eeys.jpg

IMG_0786resize_zpstnvxrpcf.jpg

Again, there's too many variables to state how much product is too much.

Edited by BRZN