Customer Service 866.965.0400

How many pads?

Ls1transam

Question

I looked for a animist thread and couldn't find it. Although in sure it's been asked. How many pads does it take to do correction on a whole car? Say the size of my 2000 Transam. Just one orange microfiber and one white pad?? Or will more be needed just for the sake of saving time?

17 answers to this question

Really depends upon condition of paint, size of vehicle, and the environment where you will be doing the correcting in.

Typically I recommend at least (2) of each pad, and that would be the minimal.

You always want to have enough to perform the task at hand, but if you stop, or a pad gets dropped or "loaded with polish" and becomes less effective, having extras on hand makes finishing the job in a timely manner easier.

I can see why having more pads is time effective. That's kinda what I was thinking too. Pads are expensive. I don't do this for a living, it's just a hobby. I'll have to buy pads as my budget allows. I'm still learning anyway.

John,

Think of pads the same as a polisher. A tool to be used  for paint correction.

With proper usage and care, they will last a long time, especially if not used excessively.

Probably the most common item overlooked by those detailing for hobby, or on occasion, is "what do I do if it is late, and I am not completed, but don't have another set to start again when time permits?"

You would have to clean those pads previously used, then wait until they were dry enough to start again. Typically, leaving them overnight to dry is not long enough to ensure proper usage again the next day.

John,

Think of pads the same as a polisher. A tool to be used  for paint correction.

With proper usage and care, they will last a long time, especially if not used excessively.

Probably the most common item overlooked by those detailing for hobby, or on occasion, is "what do I do if it is late, and I am not completed, but don't have another set to start again when time permits?"

You would have to clean those pads previously used, then wait until they were dry enough to start again. Typically, leaving them overnight to dry is not long enough to ensure proper usage again the next day.

What I've found is a 50/50 mix of APC/Water in a Kwazar spray bottle works great for soaking and cleaning.

Once finished with the pad, spray the 50/50 mix onto the pad liberally, then stick the pad in a freezer ziplock bag until you clean them later.

Use warm water and work the cleaner in with my thumbs, then rinse and squeeze the water out with my thumbs again. Repeat until clean. Lay them flat on a dry terry cloth towel, and squeeze them flat against the towel to get most of the water out. Then place them in front of an indoor fan on the towel overnight. They are usually completely dry the next morning.

Edited by PHOKUS

I think having 1 or 2 pads is straight up crazy. It comes to a point where the pad no longer will do any correction work because it's saturated with product inside the pores.

I would say at least 6 pads. 1 for hood, 1 for trunk/roof, 2 for each side of car. I know pads aren't cheap, but having 1 pad is just crazy. even 2...

More is better but almost one per panel is overkill in my opinion. 2 is enough for most of us, if you have 3 or 4 go for it but most of us won't buy $400 worth of pads just for one car

I just think after doing the hood, roof alone the pad stops to slow my process.

Edited by Z06Seal

I've got one microfiber pad, orange foam pad and white finishing pad. I ordered 2 more orange pads and another white pad. Im only doing my car, and maybe a buddies car so I won't be under a time crunch. I can take all day if I need to so.

I think having 1 or 2 pads is straight up crazy. It comes to a point where the pad no longer will do any correction work because it's saturated with product inside the pores.

I would say at least 6 pads. 1 for hood, 1 for trunk/roof, 2 for each side of car. I know pads aren't cheap, but having 1 pad is just crazy. even 2...

Just how much product are you using? To correct a sedan I'll ​maybe use 1oz of product. I used to use Detail Spray to prime and dampen the pad. But I've moved to distilled water in a spray bottle. It works MUCH better and I may even be using slightly less product. ​

ive def used one of each pad (orange foam) & (white foam)  to do a whole car with no issues at all. and have dont this with multiple cars. as long as you keep cleaning the pad from panel to panel you should have no problems at all. and i get great results 

Coming from a background in professional detailing and now working for a company that is engaged entirely in surface restoration theres just a couple of things to consider:

The more aggressive the operation the more stress is placed on the pad - heavy correction work beats up pads, so your compounding phases will eat up pads rather quickly, so if you have some pretty serious defects to work on have lots of spare pads.

The more aggressive the operation the more residue management you have to contend with - as you are doing heavy correction work your pad is being loaded up not only with compound, but the byproduct of abrasive actions (clear coat and paint). To remove deep defects you need to remove more material, the more material you remove the more your pad loads up, the more your pad is loaded the less effective it is. Its considered best practices to replace those pads more frequently during the heavy cutting phases.

Keep those 2 things in mind as you decide how many pads to have on hand. At a MINIMUM no one should have fewer than 2 of every pad just out of common sense. If you drop a pad or a pad comes apart you need to have a backup at a minimum to keep going. If you are planning heavy correction work (i.e. - our first full paint correction) I recommend at least 4 pads for your cutting phases so you can at least divide the car into 1/4 chunks and work it that way.

For your finishing work you are doing much less aggressive work, and removing far less material, so 2 pads for your finishing is generally enough. Also consider though - you will do fine polishing work more often as a touchup exercise (at least you should) so if thats the case then having a couple of spares on hand isn't a bad idea either.

The one place I think you can generally get away with 1 or 2 pads is your LSP steps (glazes, waxes, sealants) - its not cutting any material so you have no residue management to deal with, the action is low stress on the pad so no issues there, and in the worst case you can jump to hand application if you lose a pad in the process (not an option in the cutting and finishing phases).

My 2 pennies worth - that and $6 will get you a latte at Starbucks. Cheers!

-DvK