Customer Service 866.965.0400

Review: Tire and Rubber Cleaner

SYMAWD

Question

Here is what I started with.  It hadn't been cleaned in a long time.  I kept on rinsing and repeating the process until the foam no longer turned brown.

IMAG3817_zpsvvnaijf5.jpg

IMAG3818_zpsoe5aejdm.jpg

Sprayed on.

IMAG3819_zps2dn6wzcm.jpg

Scrubbed with stiff bristle brush.

IMAG3820_zpsuqnyygev.jpg

Round 2:

IMAG3821_zpsz5auxh3j.jpg

Round 3:

IMAG3822_zpswsrw0ipt.jpg

Round 4:

IMAG3823_zps1aoiz5b8.jpg

Round 5:

IMAG3824_zpskrgbcv5n.jpg

Final result:

IMAG3825_zpsoyj5smk0.jpg

IMAG3826_zpsoirexeef.jpg

16 answers to this question

So it took 5 applications for it to give you that result?

Yes.  A lot came off after 1 application, but I figured if it was turning brown still, dirt was still being removed.

nice review, I just ordered this, how much would you say you used? I see the bottle but I'm not sure how much it's filled when it comes.  And how much of an visual difference would you say there was between round 1 and round 5?

And to anyone who might be thinking 5 applications sounds like a lot, I've had to go over dirty tires 5 or 6 times to get white foam with Tuff Shine.  And from my experience with Tuff Shine, visually I didn't notice much difference if I cleaned it until the foam was white. But it made a big difference if I was putting something like Tuff Shine Tire Coat on.   When my box is delivered I'm going to try a single cleaning with this then some Adam's tire shine - will post a review.

Edited by quebert

nice review, I just ordered this, how much would you say you used? I see the bottle but I'm not sure how much it's filled when it comes. And how much of an visual difference would you say there was between round 1 and round 5?

And to anyone who might be thinking 5 applications sounds like a lot, I've had to go over dirty tires 5 or 6 times to get white foam with Tuff Shine.

The first picture is before I used it. Now it is just above the top of the Adam's logo on the label. That is for 1 tire.

Nice review. 

A quick tip for the others worried about using up this product to quickly,  Use APC and let that do the initial heavy lifting.  Come back with tire & rubber to clean up behind it. 

I do something similar with other products that I use to clean tires..

Thanks for the review Matt. I used it yesterday again on an old Silverado that I drive daily.

Like my first test, I wanted to try it against the other brand that's been around forever so I did one side with it and one side with the new Adams Tire and Rubber Cleaner. Both got applied and scrubbed with blue wet brush. When dry I could see that neither product cleaned the brown 100% but well over 90% and I am sure it would have been perfect on a well maintained vehicle. These tires are about 2 years old and have never seen anything but a pressure washer :(

My only complaint is my old standby is $13 a gallon and the Adams is $45.

I was hoping to use it for removing wax from trim but have not been successful at that yet. I have a little patriot wax on some bumper trim on wife's car and two applications of the TRC has not removed it completely. I would say its 50% gone and am going to work at it again today.

All in all I think its a good product but doubt I will use much because of price.

I was hoping to use it for removing wax from trim but have not been successful at that yet. I have a little patriot wax on some bumper trim on wife's car and two applications of the TRC has not removed it completely. I would say its 50% gone and am going to work at it again today.

How textured is the trim and what are you using to clean it (towel/brush/etc) ? I haven't used TRC yet but in the past for the situation you're in I've had good luck using an old toothbrush.

Actually my technique was the issue.  The trim was smooth plastic but the dimples were deeper than I thought. I soaked the wax stain and let it sit for a couple minutes and rubbed HARD in all directions with a microfiber which only removed it partially. I soaked a microfiber again today and coated it and let it sit for a few minutes and quick  rub with the cockpit brush and it was gone.

Couple pictures attached. One was after yesterdays hard microfiber scrubbing and the other is after the cockpit brush,  Note  I was just testing on the top right part of that bumper pad so the remaining stuff you see has not been touched.

So I would say it does a mighty fine job :)

post-13932-0-45665300-1467557801_thumb.jpg

post-13932-0-86861500-1467557805_thumb.jpg

Yes.  A lot came off after 1 application, but I figured if it was turning brown still, dirt was still being removed.

great review wish I saw this before thanks I guess I will keep trying it . I know they usually have great products I know I think I have them all and hey are all great very satisfied with Adams

Also want to add it works much better than APC on exhaust tips.

I like the looks of clean exhaust tips,  but my Trailblazer SS is running a pretty obnoxious camshaft and trying to keep them clean for more than 10 minutes is futile.

Metal polish works great but I dont feel like doing it every day or even every wash.  APC barely cuts any of it off. Soaking it with Tire and Rubber Cleaner and wiping it out with a rag did a respectable job with little effort. Plenty good enough for the 10 minutes of glory it will see before I turn them black again !

So I might start soaking my exhaust tips before I do my wheels and see how that goes.

post-13932-0-54414100-1467581799_thumb.jpg

post-13932-0-84615700-1467581802_thumb.jpg

Today I gave the truck a regular wash.  As I said, I dont put a lot of effort into the tips as they turn black pretty fast on this thing.

The first thing I did was spray rubber and tire cleaner on the exhaust tips. Then I foamed the truck completely and washed the tires and rims with shampoo. Then hand washed the body.

As I came around the back I just ran my finger around the inside of tips and once around the outside. Surprisingly the black soot came off easily after soaking.  Its not 100% but good enough if I am not going to a show.

So that will probably be part of my weekly wash now. Use this first to give it some soak time.

I did go ahead and use metal polish and then LPS on the left side only. I want to see if it helps stay cleaner.

post-13932-0-50376000-1468001006_thumb.jpg

So that last picture (close up) is the final result after 5 applications?

Did you compare it to T-S? Did you use the T-S brush?

Thanks

That last picture is the final result.  It's clean and not brown, but it's also not black.

Also, the tire itself would likely never look new since it's been driving around on NJ and Philly streets for a year.  On my car with a tire coating, you can see missing spots from whenever the sidewall scrapes against potholes and I believe that is also what happened with this tire causing some on the uneveness in its look.

I haven't used T-S in a long time, so I really can't say how it would have compared on this particular tire.  I used a CG carpet brush which is very stiff.

Edited by SYMAWD

I use a T-S brush on my tires every time I scrub. I like the white bristles to see when your brush is clean and the low profile is better for scrubbing than the long bristles on the blue Adam's brush.

Even with white foam, APC did not rinse my brush clean.

Tire and Rubber Cleaner is much improved and will rinse my brush 95% clean.

A large improvement and it being paint and trim safe has me wondering why APC is still in the lineup. IMO it's a bit redundant. Even on well maintained tires it doesn't rinse as clean (your tire brush) and does not hold a candle to the cleaning power of something like MFR diluted 3:1 to clean polishing pads, wax and sealant applicators, etc.

Great job on the new formula - there is another APC on the market I use and out of the bottle at $35/gallon it gets the tires clean on the first try and the brush clean when rinsed out. And it is completely safe on interior at full strength but preferred to be diluted 3:1 (you almost never need full strength cleaners on interiors). It is also completely safe and non caustic - as this new TRC formula claims to be.

The new TRC has come very close and is a large improvement in my opinion of the now "obsolete" APC

My 50cents...

Edited by Ricky Bobby

The price is the only thing that will keep me from using T&RC as an APC replacement. I too use MFR on pads and applicators, have for a while. Its funny you mention your brush because I was commenting to myself last night that I don't remember my tire brush being this blue since I bought it. I'm starting to investigate other tire brushes because with the lower profile tires on my Camry, the big blue brush is a bit much. I wish they'd come out with one for smaller tires. Same for w fender brush for close fit fenders. 

I'll be curious to test T&RC diluted 1:1 as a maintenance tire cleaner to stretch it out, but I tend to agree that T&RC is now redundant to APC, however, the price point for an APC is very high.