Customer Service 866.965.0400

Getting Started with Adam's products on a new car

mark1210

Question

Hello All,

I recently purchased a brand new car that dark in color (graphite metallic) and want to preserve the paint and make it look as great as it can possibly be.  I'm in Texas and the sun can be pretty brutal - my 06 Accord which I recently sold, started to have clear coat failure about 7 years ago and would like to do whatever I can to prevent that on these car.  

Glancing over the products is a little overwhelming - not quite sure what I need exactly and the order of the process.  My main concern is the exterior and thats the products I'm looking to get feedback on if I could.

I noticed some repeating advice in other threads but also some contradictions - for my particular application is this a good start

Adams Shampoo

Clay Bar

Buttery Wax 

Anything else I'm missing perhaps?

Thanks

17 answers to this question

Don't beat yourself up on your 06 Accord. 06s Hondas are notorious for clear coat failure. My 06 Civic did it too.

I'd also replace the buttery with paint sealant and I'd start with a 2 bucket kit which would include 2 buckets, wash pads and shampoo. 2 bucket wash is the fondation of swirl free vehicles.

+1 on putting down a good layer of sealer, maybe two layers.  Wax on top would be completely optional but I would maintain with HGG every 3rd wash or so.  That will ensure you are not losing any protection.  

On brand new vehicles, I will wash, clay, light polish, and seal.  The polishing isn't necessarily to remove swirls and paint defects, but rather to enhance gloss and ensure the surface is prepped to lay down the sealer.  

Keeping it well maintained is a lot easier than fixing the paint later.

A couple more items help keep the paint as swirl-free as possible:

• Grit Guard (at least one)
  • 2 wash buckets (the Adams's Gamma Seal bucket it great, but not required)
  • DS
  • Great White MF Drying Towel (get 2 or more)

One other question that comes to mind...

I used the clay bar, 2 step polish and did the sealant...car is looking tip top.

I haven't used the H2O G&G but will once it rains or the car needs a quick wash.

Aside from that though, how often should I polish and re-seal? Or, is the answer now that it's been sealed all I need to do is stay on top of using H2O G&G and that will suffice?

thanks =)

I bought a new white 4Runner last month, and the second day I had it after the dealership had freshly "detailed" it, I strip washed with Car Wash Shampoo and APC, clay barred, and used LPS on the paint and wheels. A couple days later after it's next wash, I used HGG on the paint and wheels, and topped off the paint with Patriot Wax. I also used Glass Cleaner and Glass Sealant all around. Needless to say, water still beads up on the paint and water runs right off the windows. I love it. Detailing your vehicle really gives you a sense of accomplishment.

For your new car I would go with these two items. 

For long term protection add a base layer of this

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/waxing-and-glazing/adam-s-liquid-paint-sealant.html

Maintain with this. 

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/waxing-and-glazing/adam-s-h2o-guard-gloss.html

Can't get any easier.  A sealant will handle the climate better. 

Only correct when you have swirls starting to appear. In a perfect world with a perfect washing technique you should only have to correct a car once but it doesn't happen like that lol.

Once a year is usually the average and you can touch up some areas as you do if required

I am glad this topic was brought up again, saves me from searching for it. Wife just bought a new Golf wagon and the dealership doesnt even give it a detail. Just pulled the vinyl off and washed it. So I just ordered (about an hour ago) LPS and a few other items to add to my old stock of products. Will be going over it well this weekend if the weather permits. Thanks for all the tips everyone. 

I am glad this topic was brought up again, saves me from searching for it. Wife just bought a new Golf wagon and the dealership doesnt even give it a detail. Just pulled the vinyl off and washed it. So I just ordered (about an hour ago) LPS and a few other items to add to my old stock of products. Will be going over it well this weekend if the weather permits. Thanks for all the tips everyone. 

You'll be amazed on how much better your own detail will visibly look when you're done. I bought a new white SUV and after my own Adam's strip and detail, I was able to see a difference. Not to mention the peace of mind!

You'll be amazed on how much better your own detail will visibly look when you're done. I bought a new white SUV and after my own Adam's strip and detail, I was able to see a difference. Not to mention the peace of mind!

I hear you on that. I just picked up a used Subaru WRX a few weeks prior to the VW. And just washed, clayed and put some old MSW( thats Machine Super Wax, for those that remember Adams old stuff), just to coat it for the time being. And it looked 10x better than it did. I just got my order of goodies and am going to strip and detail it again with the new stuff.