Customer Service 866.965.0400

VRT on Door Panels?

avimore

Question

I found a couple threads on this but they were a few years old, so I wanted to get a fresh perspective.

Is there a reason not to use VRT on the interior door panels (plastic)?  Or should I stick to Leather Conditioner?

VRT is water repellent, so I'm thinking when it rains and you open your doors the water should bead off and not leave any streaks like the Leather Conditioner could.

On the other hand, Leather Conditioner has a higher SPF factor and should protect the plastics better.

Thanks for your help.

24 answers to this question

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but for the plastic, you don't like using Interior Detailer?

I don't have the Total Interior Detailer unfortunately.  I usually use Leather & Interior Cleaner to clean interior plastics and then use the Leather Conditioner to provide protection.

Does TID replace the need for Leather Conditioner on plastics?

Does TID replace the need for Leather Conditioner on plastics?

Technically it could - its a wipedown product with a modest amount of UV protection and light cleaners - LC is a wipe in (cream) product which has tons of UV protection and a very light cleaning agent.

Two different products - personally I don't use Leather Conditioner on the plastics at all I just clean and do wipedowns,and use the LC on the most highly abused areas of my interior which are the leather seats.

Two different products - personally I don't use Leather Conditioner on the plastics at all I just clean and do wipedowns,and use the LC on the most highly abused areas of my interior which are the leather seats.

I don't recommend using "conditioners" on non-porous surfaces, ie, Leather Condition is made to soak into the leather.  If you put it on plastic, it's not going to soak in - it's just going to "sit" there.  If that's OK with you, then so be it......it's not necessarily wrong to use it.....it just performs differently on different surfaces.

To the OP, VRT on dashes and door panels works fine but tends to have a little more gloss, so I will "knock it down" with a dry towel most times.  Again, this is personal preference.  Remember, the "V" in VRT stands for vinyl so it always makes me wonder why so many users second guess themselves about using it on their interiors. 

The VRT would be too greasy. Stick with LC or ID

I have used Svrt on door and interior panels before, especially on Jeeps that run with no top. Just wipe them down after applying to make sure there isn't any runs or greasy feeling.

Thanks guys, I definitely want to avoid any greasiness.

Technically it could - its a wipedown product with a modest amount of UV protection and light cleaners - LC is a wipe in (cream) product which has tons of UV protection and a very light cleaning agent.

Thanks.  By the sounds of it, there doesn't seem to be much benefit for me to get TID when I already have L&IC and LC.

Thanks.  By the sounds of it, there doesn't seem to be much benefit for me to get TID when I already have L&IC and LC.

Definitely try the ID if you get the chance though. It's personally my favorite interior product to use, and I use a TON of it with my continually shedding dogs. 

Definitely try the ID if you get the chance though. It's personally my favorite interior product to use, and I use a TON of it with my continually shedding dogs. 

Will do thanks.  Hopefully I get one in a MB or will wait until I run out of L&IC/LC.

To the OP, VRT on dashes and door panels works fine but tends to have a little more gloss, so I will "knock it down" with a dry towel most times.  Again, this is personal preference.  Remember, the "V" in VRT stands for vinyl so it always makes me wonder why so many users second guess themselves about using it on their interiors. 

Stick with LC or Total Interior Detailer for your interior.

NOTE: Adam's Super VRT Tire & Trim Dressing is for exterior use. For interior leather, vinyl and plastic use Adam's Leather & Interior Conditioner or Adam's Total Interior Detailer

Thanks for your input guys.

I actually have personally not had any issues with VRT on my inner panels or dash, however I do use TID first to wipe the sections down and then add a small amount of VRT.  I personally like the shine it adds (tacky or not lol).  If you just want to keep it clean though and have it look original or matte when it comes to shine the TID is your ticket in.  

I use TID for "touch" places (door handles, gear shift, parking brake, controls, blinker, steering wheel, wipers, etc)

I use LC for leather.

I use VRT for everything else (dash, door panels, trim, all plastic surfaces). I love the rich, supple look it gives everything.

Your windows from the factory already filter some UV (windshields and moonroofs offer the most built-in protection). Adding UV protective tint on side windows further guards against UV damage.

Here are a couple of shots when my car had around 50k miles, using the above methods.

FoST Interior 50k 2

FoST Interior 50k 1

Edited by PHOKUS

I have been using SVRT on the door panels of my C6's for several years. For some reason, the rubber\vinyl door inserts on a C6 will tend to turn blotchy\chalky in areas over time. TID and other interior products just cant resolve it so I tried SVRT once and loved it for this application.

Like others have said, just go over with a clean dry towel to remove some gloss and that "slick" feeling it can leave behind. 

It will work fine and if you like extra gloss your going to gain tht benefit as well. I would follow with a clan towel after applying it so it isn't greasy/slick feeling to the touch. The benefit to leather conditioner is the phenomenal smell it has lol. I use the tid and follow with conditioner fo the smell myself

Just wanted to provide an update... TID has become one of my favorite Adam's products!

It provides a really nice clean matte look, the smell is perfect (not too strong) and the anti-static properties are great also.

I will still use L&IC for areas that need the extra cleaning power and LC when needed, but TID has become my go-to product for regular maintenance on the interior.

I would not have tried it if it wasn't for the suggestions on this thread, so thanks guys!