Customer Service 866.965.0400

REVIEW: New Strip Wash

I was able to test a pre-release sample of the New Strip Wash (this sample did not have the final color or scent).

The sample I had was about 4 ounces, so I put 3oz in the Adam's Foam Cannon, and 1oz in the wash bucket with 2 gallons of water.

Like most of you, I had previously strip washed with 2-3oz of APC mixed in with Car Wash Shampoo.  I had previously tested this solution, and found the pH to be about 9.2.  With just one ounce of the New Strip Wash in 2 gallons of water, the pH was 10.6, making it a stronger solution to strip off the sealants and waxes.

20160813_114248.jpg

The Strip Wash solution worked very well in the Foam Cannon, producing thick foam that had lots of lubricity.

20160813_124923.jpg

20160813_125436.jpg

20160813_125649.jpg

Here is a BEFORE photo of the hood on the Explorer.  This paint only had HGG on it.  You can see that the beads are nice and tall, with the edges of each large bead nearly vertical, showing that the water is being repelled by the sealant.

20160813_124243_C.jpg

Here is an AFTER photo showing the same location on the vehicle.  Note that the beads are flatter, with the edges of each bead spread out onto the paint.  This shows that the water is not being repelled like it was when the sealant was on the paint.

20160813_132356_C.jpg

It is important to realize that that bare, clean paint (like the photo above), can also show some beading, but it is the shape of the beads and how the edges look that determine the level of repellency and whether the sealant or wax is still working, or whether the paint is completely stripped.  Some clear coats, and also on paint that is not new like this vehicle, will exhibit sheeting of the water, where the water lays flat on the surface, and does not bead much at all.  In addition, both bonded contaminates on the surface and/or defects in the clear coat (like swirls) can affect how the water reacts, reducing any beading.

To verify this with the Explorer, I also clayed the hood while the car was still wet, with only the Strip Wash for lubrication, and the appearance of the beads did not change from the AFTER photo shown above.  This confirmed that the Strip Wash removed all of the sealant.

In addition, if you have a recent layer of the more durable Paint Sealant, or multiple layers of protection with waxes on top of sealants, then you might find that you have to re-wash the vehicle with the Strip Wash if you notice that the beads are still tall and round after your first rinse.  Once you rinse after washing, check the beads for appearance.  If they are flat, or do not bead much at all, the protection is stripped.  If not, wash again and then check after the next rinse, repeat as needed.

Question for you Dan,

Since I believe in the ability to strip of this products since it is backed by Adams, my question is what does it smell like? I personally love how the blue one smells and so am hoping the smell of this one is awesome as well?

Thank you Dan!

I'll be 100% honest, I saw this product and thought I'd never find a worthwhile use for this since I Have APC and CS. But after watching Adam's video EFFORTLESSLY remove bug guts and your real world review, I'm blown away! Definitely will have to pick some of this up before my fall details!

I think a good test would be to use a finishing polish on a finishing pad on one side of the hood and compare the beading/sheeting properties of each side. Also could test doing an IPA wipe-down of the hood and see what happens (after the strip wash). A lot of these "strip wash" products have surfactants that mask the water repellency properties instead of truly removing them.

A good sealant is not easily "chemically" removed. Abrasion is usually needed. 

Question for you Dan,

Since I believe in the ability to strip of this products since it is backed by Adams, my question is what does it smell like? I personally love how the blue one smells and so am hoping the smell of this one is awesome as well?

I have not smelled the final version yet.  The test sample I had did not include the final scent.

Thank you Dan!

I'll be 100% honest, I saw this product and thought I'd never find a worthwhile use for this since I Have APC and CS. But after watching Adam's video EFFORTLESSLY remove bug guts and your real world review, I'm blown away! Definitely will have to pick some of this up before my fall details!

You bring up a good point!

While this product is called Strip Wash, it is not just for removing sealants and waxes.  It is also for cleaning off all the crud that a normal, pH balanced shampoo will not.  Bugs, road grime, diesel soot....all the stuff you want to get cleaned off, without a lot of scrubbing, before you do a detail and apply fresh layers of protection.

I think a good test would be to use a finishing polish on a finishing pad on one side of the hood and compare the beading/sheeting properties of each side. Also could test doing an IPA wipe-down of the hood and see what happens (after the strip wash). A lot of these "strip wash" products have surfactants that mask the water repellency properties instead of truly removing them.

A good sealant is not easily "chemically" removed. Abrasion is usually needed. 

Agreed, that's why I clayed it after the strip wash, and compared the difference in the shape of the beads.

Would this a better alternative when washing our polishing pads? instead of All Purpose Cleaner?

It might, if used straight out of the bottle.  Would be worth a try to see how it works on the pads.

Would this a better alternative when washing our polishing pads? instead of All Purpose Cleaner?

I could not say...I haven't tried the product yet. But, it sounds plausible.

FWIW, I have switched from APC to MFB&R for washing pads. It works REALLY well as a spray diluted 3:1.

Agreed, that's why I clayed it after the strip wash, and compared the difference in the shape of the beads.

Claying will still not completely remove a sealant. Claying is very mildly abrasive which is why it can be done without scratching a vehicle. A light polishing is the only true way to fully remove a sealant. I'll test for myself if you don't have time to do it - but there will be a difference.

Hopefully I can find some time to do a test for everyone.

Claying will still not completely remove a sealant. Claying is very mildly abrasive which is why it can be done without scratching a vehicle. A light polishing is the only true way to fully remove a sealant. I'll test for myself if you don't have time to do it - but there will be a difference.

Hopefully I can find some time to do a test for everyone.

True, and it would also depend on the type of sealant, and how old it is.  I would think that if someone were going to strip the paint to polish or start fresh, then the sealant might be near its end-of-life, making it easier to strip with a chemical product.  Certainly a fresh coat of sealant would be much harder to strip off.

In my case, claying would have been enough to remove the 2-month-old HGG on the paint that I tested it on.

Some of the other people tested this product on Paint Sealant.  I think they may post their results here eventually, as a couple are working the Carlisle show this weekend.  Their feedback on the testing is why I added the paragraph of possibly needing to re-wash to strip sealant or multiple layers of protection.  I saw some of their pics of water laying flat, not much beading at all, after using the Strip Wash.

I look forward to seeing what you find out with your testing on sealants.  I only had this sample for a short time, so was not able to test it with other conditions besides the HGG on the Explorer.

As I posted above, this new product also cleans better than a pH balanced shampoo, so you do get that benefit of likely having a cleaner paint surface to polish on, even if you don't get a complete strip off a sealant with just the wash.

I have a question about this strip wax would you be able to use this on a car that has expel paint protected film on it without any problems

Thanks

Yes, Strip Wash can be used on XPEL.

The XPEL film can be cleaned with Bug & Tar Remover, Isopropyl Alcohol wipe-downs, and even lacquer thinner. All these products are quite harsh compared to Strip Wash.

Yes, Strip Wash can be used on Xpel.

The XPEL film can be cleaned with Bug & Tar Remover, Isopropyl Alcohol wipe-downs, and even lacquer thinner.  All these products are quite harsh compared to Strip Wash.

ok thanks Dan just had the front and rockers done on my vette and then this product came out just wanted to be sure what I can use on it I know about washing and waxing

But thanks again

So I don't want to sound like a rookie but is this strip wash suppose to replace the shampoo in my personal detail process? Do I use it in just my foam gun and use the shampoo in my bucket? I know the video shows it in both gun and bucket, but i'm just curious if it would cause harm if crossed? Once again sorry to sound like a rookie but I want to make sure I clean my baby right :D

As the video said you only use it when you want to strip the wax and any contamination (bugsguts sap) so you can start fresh on a clean slate you can use it in a foam gun foam canon with a two bucket wash its not to replace your regular wash only when you want to strip off your old wax

As the video said you only use it when you want to strip the wax and any contamination (bugsguts sap) so you can start fresh on a clean slate you can use it in a foam gun foam canon with a two bucket wash its not to replace your regular wash only when you want to strip off your old wax

oh okay that makes sense. So its like a once a month kinda deal or what not. Perfect thanks so much! looks like I don't need to use up my shampoo :D

oh okay that makes sense. So its like a once a month kinda deal or what not. Perfect thanks so much! looks like I don't need to use up my shampoo :D

Once a month would be seriously often for a strip wash...a couple times a year would be more common. 

Edited by LT1xL82