Customer Service 866.965.0400

Hello All! I know that Adam's has Paint Sealant that's easy to use. The question I've seen come up a couple times regarding a "coating". A long lasting ceramic type coating. I've heard that it's possible that the Adam's team might be working on one. I really want to know... Does anyone have a little inside information? Am I the only one who would like to see Adam's come up with a paint coating?

This is one rumor I really hope comes true. I have a coating on my car now, but it's coming off this spring. I've got some cquartz waiting to be applied, but it will go by the wayside if Adam's releases something! Come on AP!!!

I'd love for Adams to come out with one finally. I know awhile back they did not believe in such a coating, but then they started working on it (or appeared to be). With the release of wash and wax, I have high hopes a coating is coming soon.

With my luck, it will be right after I finally splurge on CQUARTZ  :lolsmack:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the bump, but would love this idea. My bumpers and hood are getting painted here soon, then I'm doing a paint correction followed by a coat of LPS, and was thinking about how good it would be if Adam's got into the coating game. Would certainly buy it.

I appreciate the BUMP. I would like to keep this post active. Maybe if we can get enough men and women on board, we might receive! I am really crossing my finger (and toes) hoping for a coating! I would hope a minimum of 12 months, but would like to see 18-24 month coating!

I'm also itching for something like this. I recently learned that some coatings are advertised at 9H hardness - right after I took a stone to the hood that gouged 1/4" of paint off. Can't help but think 9H would have prevented it...

A coating might not have prevented this, but certainly minimized the damage. I know Adam's Polishes would be new to the "coating" game, but I highly doubt the first version would have a 9H hardness. Not necessarily because they can't, but with a coating this HARD, it certainly wouldn't be user friendly. Most coatings that achieve this type of hardness can ONLY be removed by wet sanding! I guarantee that if AP releases a product like this we would see: Ease of use, 12-18 months of protection, Under $75 price point (I hope). 

A coating might not have prevented this, but certainly minimized the damage. I know Adam's Polishes would be new to the "coating" game, but I highly doubt the first version would have a 9H hardness. Not necessarily because they can't, but with a coating this HARD, it certainly wouldn't be user friendly. Most coatings that achieve this type of hardness can ONLY be removed by wet sanding! I guarantee that if AP releases a product like this we would see: Ease of use, 12-18 months of protection, Under $75 price point (I hope). 

Don't get sucked into the pencil hardness evaluation of coatings, its a red herring. Its a topic thats far more in depth than what I'm going to get into here, but the long and short is the "9H" claim thrown around by so many products is effectively useless as its not validated and honestly has very little real world benefit due to the low amount of film buildup by most products.

In my experience with a glass coating, which ranges from 3-5um thickness on a paint gauge, is that it helps reduce or minimize the depth of swirl marks etc. If your wash or drying process was to swirl or marr a non-coated car it will probably do the same to a coating. The nice thing about a coating, especially a thick one, is that it preserves the factory paint and clear coat so if you were to marr it, you could polish it out and reapply protection with possibly removing very little of the clear coat. That is how I see it atleast

Edited by wely324

Certainly that is true, my point is this - there is no standard by which coatings are measured and a pencil hardness test is easily manipulated by the coating thickness. If you do the deep dive with some of these products, and assuming they even actually did the test and will provide the information the 9H rating only comes in at a thickness of 25µ or more which is an unrealistic thickness to recreate on the paint of a vehicle. At the more realistic level of 5µ the hardness evaluation can drop by 4 levels or more.

Again - red herring.

Facts - can a coating provide increased resistance to light swirls and marring? Absolutely! Does a claim of 9H make one coating harder than another? Absolutely not unless both coatings are compared at their ACTUAL applied thickness for a set number of coats for the comparison.

Edited by Dylan@RUPES

I'm also itching for something like this. I recently learned that some coatings are advertised at 9H hardness - right after I took a stone to the hood that gouged 1/4" of paint off. Can't help but think 9H would have prevented it...

Certainly that is true, my point is this - there is no standard by which coatings are measured and a pencil hardness test is easily manipulated by the coating thickness. If you do the deep dive with some of these products, and assuming they even actually did the test and will provide the information the 9H rating only comes in at a thickness of 25µ or more which is an unrealistic thickness to recreate on the paint of a vehicle. At the more realistic level of 5µ the hardness evaluation can drop by 4 levels or more.

Again - red herring.

Facts - can a coating provide increased resistance to light swirls and marring? Absolutely! Does a claim of 9H make one coating harder than another? Absolutely not unless both coatings are compared at their ACTUAL applied thickness for a set number of coats for the comparison.

Stephen,

Dylan over at Rupes explained this in a far better way than I could. I am not sure what brand you found that is rated a 9H. I'm assuming it was a high priced coating?

Dylan,

Thank you very much for your explanation. I couldn't even pretend to have as much knowledge. I know that some manufactures create a coating that turns so hard, that they say you have to wetsand to remove any highspots (After it has fully cured). This just sounds like a bad idea from the start. Since AP doesn't currently manufacture a coating, can you tell me if the CQuartz UK edition, (They claim better performance in cold weather) is a good choice. I did recently buy this coating, but I haven't applied the coating yet. I have a 12 month coating on now and I want to apply in Spring.

Stephen,

Dylan over at Rupes explained this in a far better way than I could. I am not sure what brand you found that is rated a 9H. I'm assuming it was a high priced coating?

Dylan,

Thank you very much for your explanation. I couldn't even pretend to have as much knowledge. I know that some manufactures create a coating that turns so hard, that they say you have to wetsand to remove any highspots (After it has fully cured). This just sounds like a bad idea from the start. Since AP doesn't currently manufacture a coating, can you tell me if the CQuartz UK edition, (They claim better performance in cold weather) is a good choice. I did recently buy this coating, but I haven't applied the coating yet. I have a 12 month coating on now and I want to apply in Spring.

There are dozens of coatings already on the market using the 9H claim already, its not uncommon. Some even have gone so far as to claim "HARDER THAN 9H" which is somewhat amusing if you know the pencil hardness scale. Anyways - its not a new marketing tactic, its mostly BS that the seller knows the average consumer won't go do the trouble to prove/disprove.

my point is this - there is no standard by which coatings are measured a.

Facts - can a coating provide increased resistance to light swirls and marring? Absolutely!

DVK Quick question.

After performing a paint correction would Strip Wash be a recommended step to remove any polishing residue prior to applying a coating?

All my vehicles are coated. Actually ended up pitching my sealant. Doesn't make since for me to use a sealant when all my vehicles live outside.

It was hard to use a non Adams product but the added protection has made it worth it.

Edited by Antv20