Customer Service 866.965.0400

Radiator/Intercooler full of bugs

AvsBest

Question

As you see on the picture I don't have a lot of space to work with and don't feel like taking the facia off just the clean it.

Should I use a garden hose? A pressure washer? Any other products like APC?

Please note that I have pretty much the entire Adam's library except Wash and Wax and Strip Wash.

I saw a video somewhere which suggested using a bug/tar remover, spray liberally on the intercooler and rinse off with garden hose. Obviously the engine has to be cold...

Suggestions?

post-12101-0-64772300-1473883613_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

Yes, a spray on, spray off bug/tar remover would be your best bet. Try shooting the garden hose from the engine, towards the front. Then try the front foe the remainder. Also, look into a "cool cleaner" used for A/C fins....should be similar to your radiator and intercooler, but I don't know how it holds up to paint.

So should I spray APC on it first, is it safe?

Many APC products do not play well with aluminum. I'd also be concerned about the pressure washer. Use it with care, radiators and intercoolers are not the most robust parts to be found in a vehicle. If it were me, I'd try a sprayer on the end of a garden hose before the pressure washer. Definitely spray the water in the opposite direction of airflow.

A pass with a vacuum cleaner from the front, before water hose/pressure washer, may help.

The owners manual/dealer may have some suggestions.    

Do not put a pressure washer to it. I most certainly guarantee you will damage the fins. Steady stream of water through a garden hose from the engine side.

This can happen if you get the pressure washer too close.  From the back side is definitely the best way, but probably not always possible.  I have had success before spraying at a distance and holding the sprayer at a 45 degree angle to the radiator.  If you do bend the fins you can buy a tool just about anywhere that will straighten them.  Just have to make sure you get the right one.  There are different thickness' for lack of a better way to explain it.  Google "radiator fin comb".