Customer Service 866.965.0400

DIY Detailing Cart Bottle Holder Tray

avimore

Question

I recently purchased a detailing cart and wanted to find a solution to keep my bottles secure and prevent them from moving or tipping over.  I thought I would give it a shot and build something myself seeing as I had a specific design in mind.  Here are some details of the project...

Started with a heavy duty steel 3-tier cart and added the Adam's 'A' to class it up:

29332390313_72e260c2e6_c.jpgIMG_20160916_1 by avimore, on Flickr

Added some shelf-liner to all three levels for some padding and protection:

29845143892_1b45d94df0_c.jpgIMG_20160916_2 by avimore, on Flickr

Got a piece of wood cut-out to fit exactly on the top shelf.  Then measurements carefully drawn up to fit 21 bottles:

29958906925_454c65a186_c.jpgIMG_20160916_3 by avimore, on Flickr

Cutting the holes out was easier than I expected and luckily the wood held up well:

29332395383_9024e301b0_c.jpgIMG_20160916_4 by avimore, on Flickr

29845152772_b6b2dce199_c.jpgIMG_20160916_5 by avimore, on Flickr

Sanded and ready for paint:

29665173300_8bb063b9a5_c.jpgIMG_20160916_6 by avimore, on Flickr

The fit turned out perfect and very sturdy:

29845155622_f93b29a714_c.jpgIMG_20160916_7 by avimore, on Flickr

29332399583_4f5c62f09a_c.jpgIMG_20160916_8 by avimore, on Flickr

Used a couple coats of Satin Black (I tried Gloss Black at first but it was too shiny):

Edited by avimore

Thank you all for the responses, this was a fun little project.  I will provide some more details as requested but please let me know if there's something I've missed or anything else you would like to know.

I think it's important to mention that I live in Australia, so I have converted all prices to USD as a guide.  As far as the detail cart, I know that Adam's does sell one of their own so I won't post any links as I don't want to break any rules.  Please send me a PM and I can provide details for those that are interested.

Wow! Nice job. I like how you even made a special spot for the GS.

Thanks!  I thought I would include a spot for the GS seeing as it worked with the symmetry of the tray... otherwise my OCD would not have allowed for it  :D

Looks awesome!

Very nice cart

Nice!

Nice work on the cart it came out terrific. I have a gravel driveway so I have no use for a cart but if I did need one I would stel some ideas here.

I like it! Make me one! lol

Looks great! Thanks for sharing!

Very nice craftsmanship.

Thank you!

Nice job. I have Adams latest cart and wish it had more holes.

You may wish you had added a couple larger size holes for the larger bottles.

But love it !

Thanks!  I thought about adding a couple larger size holes for the 32oz bottles, but I currently don't have any that size.  Luckily the 16oz and 8oz bottles have the same diameter, so there are no issues there.

I'm sure there will be a version 2 in the near future and no doubt the design will change to incorporate larger bottles.

Outstanding job very impressed. Can you tell us the total cost?

That cart is Awesome!!.

Gonna need some details as I would like to make one as well.

Where did you get the cart and $? If you don't mind.

What size hole saw did you use?

Is this for personal use or for a detailing Bus.?

awesome. more details please.

Thanks guys!

The cart is for personal use only and the total cost was roughly $120.  The cart came in at around $60 (i got a small discount as I picked it up at the warehouse).  Send me a PM and I can give you more details of the cart.

For the holes I used a Bosch hole saw cutter set which was on sale for $12:

Edited by avimore

Thank you all for the responses, this was a fun little project.  I will provide some more details as requested but please let me know if there's something I've missed or anything else you would like to know.

I think it's important to mention that I live in Australia, so I have converted all prices to USD as a guide.  As far as the detail cart, I know that Adam's does sell one of their own so I won't post any links as I don't want to break any rules.  Please send me a PM and I can provide details for those that are interested.

Thanks!  I thought I would include a spot for the GS seeing as it worked with the symmetry of the tray... otherwise my OCD would not have allowed for it  :D

The only thing it's missing is a Holden sticker!

The only thing it's missing is a Holden sticker!

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info Ed. I now have enough ammunition to make mine. Just as soon as the wife quits looking at me funny. :huh:

Glad I could help.  I know what you mean, I got a blank stare, shake of the head, then she walked away  :D

Excellent!   :2thumbs:

Great work, that is awesome!

Thanks guys!

Edited by avimore

I forgot to mention on the original post how I got the wood tray to hang on the top part of the shelf and not sink to the bottom.  The simplest solution I could think of was by using the existing screws that hold the cart together.  I just ended up buying 4 longer screws and added them to each corner, giving me a base that the wood rests on:

29845194542_498ef87be2_z.jpg[/url]

Thought this might be useful for anyone wanting to use a similar setup.

Edited by avimore

I forgot to mention on the original post how I got the wood tray to hang on the top part of the shelf and not sink to the bottom.  The simplest solution I could think of was by using the existing screws that hold the cart together.  I just ended up buying 4 longer screws and added them to each corner, giving me a base that the wood rests on:

29845194542_498ef87be2_z.jpg

Thought this might be useful for anyone wanting to use a similar setup.

I thought that was what I saw in the first post. Great looking cart and near enough to Adam's red it already matches everything they put out.

I thought that was what I saw in the first post. Great looking cart and near enough to Adam's red it already matches everything they put out.

I thought the same thing about the color when I first saw it.  Unfortunately I don't have access to the Adam's cart here, so this was the next best thing I could find.