Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing After Dealer Installed "Luxcare"

Wiscoboy

Question

Hello All:

I am a newbie on this forum but have recently began using Adam's products for washing my new 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Like any other happy car owner, I would like to keep this baby looking great for many years to come and thus far am very satisfied with the Adam's products that I have purchased.

Over the past 2 weeks I have been heavily educating myself on detailing and car paint maintenance.  Unfortunately, if I had the knowledge of what I know now, I would NOT have have ended up getting the "Luxcare" application included with my new car purchase. They applied it roughly 3 weeks ago.  I was skeptical of this service the whole time but now I think it's pretty much a rip off.  

With that being said, winter is rapidly approaching here in Wisconsin, and from what I've read, I should be washing, claying, sealing, and protecting my vehicle before the harsh weather hits.  Would you guys recommend strip washing whatever they applied on my car and starting over or should I just wash it normally, clay the thing and use LPS or G&G  to maintain it through the season?  Thanks a bunch for your input, lot's of knowledgeable people here!

7 answers to this question

You should see if they'll give you a spec sheet or some info on the product they used. When I bought my Raptor a few years ago, it was before I knew about Adams and I opted for the stealership paint care package too, and they gave me a sample bottle of what they used. It turned out to just be a cheap sealant that apparently costs 500 bucks to apply. You're better off stripping off whatever they applied, and sealing it yourself.

Edited by Mariner

I'm sure its just a blah paint sealant.

It's called Point of Sale items and its pure profit for the dealership - happens a ton at Chevy/GMC, Jeep, etc - I see it the most at American car dealerships for whatever reason, probably because the take off on the sticker price of the car is usually deeper than non-American brands and the dealer needs to make it up with more POS items sold at each vehicle - 

We should really sticky this for potential new members because threads come up like once every other week with people's new cars and asking "what kind of protection is XXX that my dealer installed on my new car is it a coating can i touch it should I keep warranty with it" etc -

Edited by Ricky Bobby

I apologize for redundancies, I know how it is on forums with repeat questions.  I was just trying to see if there was any harm in leaving whatever sealant they have on there and just claying over it and topping off with G&G.   If not, I will probably just strip off whatever they had on there and start from scratch like a few of you recommended.

Again, many thanks for your assistance guys. 

I apologize for redundancies, I know how it is on forums with repeat questions.  I was just trying to see if there was any harm in leaving whatever sealant they have on there and just claying over it and topping off with G&G.   If not, I will probably just strip off whatever they had on there and start from scratch like a few of you recommended.

I think I would do a little research first on exactly what was applied to your paint first.

If it is a type of sealant I think I would do a Strip wash and start new with Adam's.

Claying will remove some if not all of the sealant anyway, so you may as well just strip it completely and start fresh with Adam's.

No worries man just strip it and go as usual - I just feel bad because it burns me that people get duped/sold into buying these things with their new cars, even if the dealer says its "free" you are paying for it some how -