Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clear Bra Question

shane@detailedreflections

Question

Hey guys. Quick question about cars that have a clear bra. I know this has been asked before, but it seems as though there's a bunch of conflicting information which leaves me wondering what the current best practice is.

For a vehicle with a clear bra, my understanding is that the finishing polish can be used on it to remove imperfections? My gut says correction polish is most likely too abrasive for the vinyl. Outside of that, I know it layers with sealant and wax like any other part of the vehicle. Will it take a glaze as well?

Thanks for the help.

16 answers to this question

I would not compound clear bra. I don't know if glaze will hurt it or not . It's my understanding that glaze has some solvents in it ,so for that reason I would not use glaze on clear bra . I would just finish Polish it and live with the result . Then put some sealant on it

Yep!

As for polishing, at the most, I would use Revive, by hand, with a non aggressive foam pad like a blue hex. Personally, I would not touch paint protection film with a machine or more aggressive polishes.

At least some films, Xpel Ultimate for one,  do not deal well with products that contain solvents. Brilliant Glaze contains a small amount of solvent. Some people have used it successfully on Xpel Ultimate...I still haven't tried. Honestly, I don't feel a great need...naked the film looks really rather good, and topping with Americana has keep me happy. 

I have clear on both of my cars and I don't treat it any differently than the rest of the car.  Both of my cars are white.  The only problem I have with the clear bra/tape is around the edges.  Dirt will build up there faster than anything, so I have to keep after it with DS. But I don't  use anything special on it.  Only thing is, I don't use a machine on it at all. 

Xpel Clear Bra on my 2006 GTO since spring of 2008. I treat it just like the paint. I've machine polished it with Paint Finishing Polish using White Foam Pads on the Porter Cable with speed setting of 3. I've clayed it, and regularly use Brilliant Glaze on it. It still looks pretty much like it did when installed eight years ago.

Xpel Clear Bra on my 2006 GTO since spring of 2008. I treat it just like the paint. I've machine polished it with Paint Finishing Polish using White Foam Pads on the Porter Cable with speed setting of 3. I've clayed it, and regularly use Brilliant Glaze on it. It still looks pretty much like it did when installed eight years ago.

It sounds like you have had great success maintaining the Xpel. 

I have clear on both of my cars and I don't treat it any differently than the rest of the car.  Both of my cars are white.  The only problem I have with the clear bra/tape is around the edges.  Dirt will build up there faster than anything, so I have to keep after it with DS. But I don't  use anything special on it.  Only thing is, I don't use a machine on it at all. 

Which bra do you have on the CTS and Vette?  I am thinking about getting the 3m one installed since they are the only one I can find for the V's

3 M.  And make sure they put the NEW stuff on that came out in February.   It comes with a 7 year warranty.  Be sure and ask the installer about it.  The old stuff only had a 3 or 5 year warranty.   I'm happy with it so far. 

I don't know who actually makes the film that Lotus used, but they market it and sell it under the name "Star Shield" if I'm not mistaken.  I know Lotus doesn't make it.....lol

I can probably call one of my Lotus contacts and see if they have any info.  I sponsor the local Lotus club and have worked on many of the owners' cars and haven't had any issues with polishing it (and sealing it) as Dave mentioned in his post.  PM if you want.

On 10/12/2016 at 5:03 PM, Rich said:

3 M.  And make sure they put the NEW stuff on that came out in February.   It comes with a 7 year warranty.  Be sure and ask the installer about it.  The old stuff only had a 3 or 5 year warranty.   I'm happy with it so far. 

3M is okay, but be careful, they have been known to yellow quickly. Rich is correct, the new stuff is suppose to be better, but for the money, I would go with XPEL. It has a 10 year warranty and guarantees it will not yellow. That is what I have deciced to go with on my car.