Customer Service 866.965.0400

I thought there were a consensus that Adam didn't want to come out with a paint coating because he wouldn't be able to follow it with the 110% guarantee? I have no interest in a coating, but those of you that do, there are plenty of installers with A+ ratings that would love to install one for you. I'll take my chances with LPS.

I thought there were a consensus that Adam didn't want to come out with a paint coating because he wouldn't be able to follow it with the 110% guarantee? I have no interest in a coating, but those of you that do, there are plenty of installers with A+ ratings that would love to install one for you. I'll take my chances with LPS.

The more I think about it, the less I like coatings as well. I'd be ok with one if it were only rated at say a year or so. And it was layerable. I personally don't want a finish on my car doesn't need waxed or whatever for X amount of years. I like waxing, sealing and things of that nature. Only having to wash my cars would be boring.

Coatings are great, for certain people. I have had a coating on my car for 1.5 years and I don't think I'll ever have one again unless its for a garage queen supercar that never gets driven.

The more I think about it, the less I like coatings as well. I'd be ok with one if it were only rated at say a year or so. And it was layerable. I personally don't want a finish on my car doesn't need waxed or whatever for X amount of years. I like waxing, sealing and things of that nature. Only having to wash my cars would be boring.

I once thought the same thing until I tried a coating. I went with a coating that allows for waxing if I choose. The protection cannot be beat for vehicles that live outside (which all 3 of ours do). I will never go back to a sealant at this point. Even with a coating that doesn't keep me from buying a ton of Adam's products. I still use HG&G. Absolutely love the new Americana. For me it makes life easier to maintain a sharp looking ride without a ton of work and effort.....I am lazy. :P

I once thought the same thing until I tried a coating. I went with a coating that allows for waxing if I choose. The protection cannot be beat for vehicles that live outside (which all 3 of ours do). I will never go back to a sealant at this point. Even with a coating that doesn't keep me from buying a ton of Adam's products. I still use HG&G. Absolutely love the new Americana. For me it makes life easier to maintain a sharp looking ride without a ton of work and effort.....I am lazy. :P

A coating that allows waxing sounds like something I would be interested in.

All coatings "allow" waxing... there isn't a ban on it :)

The issue is that the hydrophobic nature of the coating would be compromised by layering a wax over the top... the primary reason you would want a coating on the paint of your vehicle is its ability to shed contamination and moisture from its surface. Inhibiting that feature somewhat defeats a large part of the primary purpose of applying a coating in the first place. A quality coating product from a reputable manufacturer is going to be FAR more hydrophobic than a wax could ever hope to be... add to that the fact the wax itself would behave like a surface contaminant and the coating would not allow it to adhere very well to the surface.

It would be like taking your non-stick frying pan, and applying something to it that made things more likely to stick. Just isn't logical.

Edited by Dylan@RUPES

The issue is that the hydrophobic nature of the coating would be compromised by layering a wax over the top... the primary reason you would want a coating on the paint of your vehicle is its ability to shed contamination and moisture from its surface. Inhibiting that feature somewhat defeats a large part of the primary purpose of applying a coating in the first place. A quality coating product from a reputable manufacturer is going to be FAR more hydrophobic than a wax could ever hope to be... add to that the fact the wax itself would behave like a surface contaminant and the coating would not allow it to adhere very well to the surface.

It would be like taking your non-stick frying pan, and applying something to it that made things more likely to stick. Just isn't logical.

As always... very well said Dylan!

• 3 weeks later...

Bump!

With the new product releases coming out, it would be nice to see a spray wax/sealant! I know we probably won't see a coating now or anytime soon, but it would be nice to see a product that is a step down from a true coating. I'm getting very excited about the new possibilities that could be released. Ahh!! This anticipation is building up.

And that's exactly what I meant.

Can someone please clarify the difference between Paint Sealant, and a "coating?" It appears as though the "coating" is something that would be put on the car to make the paint last longer than even the Paint Sealant - but that's about the extent to which I understand. Thanks!

Can someone please clarify the difference between Paint Sealant, and a "coating?" It appears as though the "coating" is something that would be put on the car to make the paint last longer than even the Paint Sealant - but that's about the extent to which I understand. Thanks!

Most coatings are almost an addition to the clear coat, and require mechanical abrasion (polishing) to remove.  A coating should last for several years, and require minimum maintenance.  It takes more care to install than a sealant. 

Most coatings are almost an addition to the clear coat, and require mechanical abrasion (polishing) to remove.  A coating should last for several years, and require minimum maintenance.  It takes more care to install than a sealant. 

Thanks, Michael. You really know your stuff.