Customer Service 866.965.0400

It happened

SumBeach35

Question

It finally happened to me....burned through the clear coat for the first time ever.

So the girlfriend tells me yesterday that her dad hit her mirror on her '17 Ford Explorer. She shows me and there is some scuffs and a deep scratch right above and over the body line on the black painted portion of the mirror cover. So I get the Rupes mini out with a pad and start working it, I get the imperfection put but notice that a part of the body line on the mirror cap looks weird thought the compound. That's when I realized what happened. I polished it and the scuffs and scratch is gone but now I have the maybe 1/2-1" portion of the body line on the mirror cap that looks dull black.

Without getting it completely repainted, any way to touch it up with new clear? Could I just re-paint the whole mirror cap and then wetsand it?

25 answers to this question

Have always been concerned how easy it would be to burn through the clear using any of adams orbital polishers. Sucks that u had this happen, but luckily it is just the mirror cap. I would check with the dealer. My wife ripped the side mirror completely off her 2012 jeep grand cherokee backing out of the garage. Purchased a complete replacement oem painted mirror for $250 at the dealer. Still pricey but being oem painted/heated/power mirror I was expecting higher cost

You could go visit a quality body shop and see what they would charge to repaint it.  Paint labor is relatively cheap in comparison to mechanical labor.  

Or you could attempt to do it yourself with it being such a small area.  You should be able to find a body shop supply place that will mix your paint code into a rattle can.  Along with purchasing a can of clear coat.  They will tell you exactly how to do it.  Link below may be helpful too.

http://3mcollision.com/how-to

Edited by LFairbanks

Have always been concerned how easy it would be to burn through the clear using any of adams orbital polishers. Sucks that u had this happen, but luckily it is just the mirror cap. I would check with the dealer. My wife ripped the side mirror completely off her 2012 jeep grand cherokee backing out of the garage. Purchased a complete replacement oem painted mirror for $250 at the dealer. Still pricey but being oem painted/heated/power mirror I was expecting higher cost

To clarify,  its not Adam's polisher, just one that they sell.   The Rupes polishers are strong but it was my error that caused it to happen.  I should have tried polish first and not went right to compound with a semi aggressive pad. i also should have taped off the edge to reduce the chance of burning through.  all those mistakes equals the results i am left with.

If it's allready damaged and needs a repaint there is no harm in experimenting. Sometimes deeper scratches are best left alone . Some compounding or light wetsanding and live with making it better but not perfect . Sorry to hear about the damage .

Buy a new cover.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2017&m=Ford&mo=Explorer&initSearch=1&keyword=mirror%20cap#Search

Not knowing what Trim or the VIN of the Explorer is I couldn't find the exact part but it didn't look like it would cost more than $60

Edited by Kingsford

Generally, side mirror caps are cheap, but you have to tear the entire assembly apart to get the cap off. I found it easier and cheaper just to buy a new mirror assembly when the side mirror on the van met a mailbox.

Cost less than you might think. Plus you can resell the old one to recoup some of the cost.

I did this to my wife's brand new (back then) '15 Pathfinder. There was a small spot on the door edge and I went to town with it and couldn't remove the scratch. Next thing I know, I'm seeing gray primer! I was so mad.... We had to car for maybe a week.

It's still there and entire door needs to be repainted. It's a lease so I have to take care of it soon. Sucky sucky,,,

I have always become buddy buddy with my service writers at the dealers I use, for the holidays I get them a small token of appreciation and in turn they usually hook it up when I need things done. Come to think of it, this usually happens to me at many places I shop, it pays to be nice and thankful.

So moral of the story, when you take it in for a oil change, ask, it won't hurt and they sometimes look the other way and take care of the problem for you.

I wouldn't go as far as to say "this is why I don't have a polisher," but polishing makes me really nervous. My car is brand new, and it has no swirl to it, but it won't stay that way forever. I'm going to have to do a TON of research on how to use a polisher before I use it on my car! 

Sorry to hear about the accident, OP. Just so I'm clear, you were using a pad that was too aggressive for the job? I always read, "start with the least aggressive solvent or pad and move up." Is that what happened here? Best of luck!

That just might be the right answer for me! I'll probably sit on the decision for a while.

keep an eye on the garage sale section . Guys may sell to help finance and upgrade to a more powerful machine. The cyclo is not quick to wear out so u can get a good deal. That's how I got mine and I couldn't be happier . Gl

keep an eye on the garage sale section . Guys may sell to help finance and upgrade to a more powerful machine. The cyclo is not quick to wear out so u can get a good deal. That's how I got mine and I couldn't be happier . Gl

Thanks for the heads-up. I've gone back and forth between purchasing one and not purchasing one. I also feel like if I'm going to do it, I might as well get a mid-level product for longevity - particularly because that Cyclo is expensive!

Thanks for the heads-up. I've gone back and forth between purchasing one and not purchasing one. I also feel like if I'm going to do it, I might as well get a mid-level product for longevity - particularly because that Cyclo is expensive!

it is but it's very smooth and comfy to use and is extremely well built . It's certainly not the most powerful but it's no slouch either. It can handle anything I throw at it it just may take an extra pass to get there, which is fine because A, I'm not in a hurry ,this is a hobby for me not a business and B, because the goal for me is to leave as much clear as possible on my finish.i don't think you will regret the purchase of any polisher honestly there is just so many uses for one

Thinner paint on plastic etc - you said you had a Mini, you probably didn't need the 12mm orbit - what pad and polish were you using, I would have done least aggressive first method, with white foam and white polish and checked work to see how it did - 

If the white foam and white polish took it past the clear I'd be shocked

Thinner paint on plastic etc - you said you had a Mini, you probably didn't need the 12mm orbit - what pad and polish were you using, I would have done least aggressive first method, with white foam and white polish and checked work to see how it did -

If the white foam and white polish took it past the clear I'd be shocked

Solid advice on least aggressive to most aggressive. I think we often tend to lose that concept. We test a heavily damaged spot that we think takes the most work, settle on a process to fix it...then we carry that process around the entire vehicle. Not that you need to do a panel by panel test and process, but a quick glance at the surface you're working and you should have an idea of how aggressive you need to go with it compared to that heavily damaged area you tested to start.

Looking back on the incident,  i broke the cardinal rule mentioned by Adam in one of the videos.....I polished angry and to make it worse, i was pressed for time too.

BRC & Ricky Bobby-  i didn't use least aggressive first.  If i remember correctly and since it is my mini, i was using a green Rupes pad and Adam's correcting polish then went to the yellow Rupes pad and Adam's finishing polishing.  Green pad is where it broke through and then i polished around the damage with the yellow pad.

Really was just a complete screw up by me that thankfully was on a cheap piece of plastic and it very small and hard to see unless you know exactly where to look. I haven't replaced it and not sure i will.  might be a good reminder to see every time i wash her SUV.