Customer Service 866.965.0400

About to place my first order in 10 years

Mytundra

Question

Question....I have a tundra. It's my daily driver. I don't want/need it to look like a show car. The paint Is in decent shape already. Just want to freshen it up. My question is...do I need to apply a glaze before applying buttery wax? I plan on doing the paint correction and machine polish after that. Didn't know if I needed to put glaze on before the wax or if I went straight to wax would that be okay? Input appreciated! About to drop 300$ on supplies. And that's not including a polisher that luckily I already have. The truck is white and a 2011. So not too old and flaws are hidden pretty well. Thanks!

19 answers to this question

Given your stated parameters (i.e., daily driver, not a show car, freshen up only, white paint), I'd skip the BG and wax.

You'll get better "bang for your buck" by going with Liquid Paint Sealant after you correct/polish the paint.  BG provides an outstanding shine, but offers no protection.  Wax provides a great shine with limited protection.  Liquid Paint Sealant provides a good shine with great protection.  If you're set on BG and/or wax, layer it on top of Liquid Paint Sealant for the best of both worlds.

Edited by Norton

Given your stated parameters (i.e., daily driver, not a show car, freshen up only, white paint), I'd skip the BG and wax.

You'll get better "bang for your buck" by going with Liquid Paint Sealant after you correct/polish the paint. BG provides an outstanding shine, but offers no protection. Wax provides a great shine with limited protection. Liquid Paint Sealant provides a good shine with great protection. If you're set on BG and/or wax, layer it on top of Liquid Paint Sealant for the best of both worlds.

Ditto! I was just typing the same thing but mistakenly closed the window. I followed this regiment (ironically on Norton's suggestion) on my son's daily driver with beautiful results. Since his was the experiment (I'm new to Adam's), time to do the same on mine. Edited by falcaineer

The kit I'm getting includes the butter wax. Guess I can use that on my wife's minivan. Haha. So go from polishing straight to sealant correct. Or could I wax then seal? Or is that pointless. Or seal then wax since I'm getting the wax in the kit either way anyway

The typical regiment most people follow is Strip Wash, Clay, Polish, (I like to strip wash again to remove polishing oils), then seal with LPS. After it cures, top with HGG or wax.

Good catch, Dustin. That's what I did, too, except I did an alcohol (50/50 with water) wipe down after the polish vs strip wash, and didn t use the HGG/wax, which I didn't have or want to use. Following this, Jonny, you won't be disappointed. Don't forget your wheels (Wheel Cleaner) or tires (Tire & Rubber Cleaner). Good luck!

Edited by falcaineer

The typical regiment most people follow is Strip Wash, Clay, Polish, (I like to strip wash again to remove polishing oils), then seal with LPS. After it cures, top with HGG or wax.

This is mostly what I did, minus the polish. My truck is only one month old so the paint the is nice. Buttery wax gave it a real nice shine, next wash I will glaze to compare shine.

This is mostly what I did, minus the polish. My truck is only one month old so the paint the is nice. Buttery wax gave it a real nice shine, next wash I will glaze to compare shine.

Good point. When I did my first detail on my new 4Runner this year, I applied Revive Hand Polish in place of machine polishing. That removes oxidation, and can be used in substitute of polishing if the paint is in good shape and doesn't need correction.

Brilliant glaze doesn't last very long at all, and offers no protection. You'd be better off applying it over Buttery and getting the best of both worlds :)

Just remember that glaze has solvent in it and will degrade any wax or sealant protection you put on beforehand.  So, I would use the glaze before any wax or sealant.  The Brilliant glaze is a superb product and hides the smallest paint imperfections after you do a paint correction.  Also remember that wax and sealant are only protectives.  The mirror shine comes from eliminating swirls.  Wax and Sealant do not improve the gloss achieved in a good paint correction followed by Brilliant Glaze.  

Just remember that glaze has solvent in it and will degrade any wax or sealant protection you put on beforehand.  So, I would use the glaze before any wax or sealant.  The Brilliant glaze is a superb product and hides the smallest paint imperfections after you do a paint correction.  Also remember that wax and sealant are only protectives.  The mirror shine comes from eliminating swirls.  Wax and Sealant do not improve the gloss achieved in a good paint correction followed by Brilliant Glaze.  

I was always told that the product with the shortest life was to go on last. If it went on before a wax, then the wax on top of it would degrade with the Glaze, which in turn would be a wasted application. 

I'm not a detail professional, but I have consulted professionals on this topic.

I was always told that the product with the shortest life was to go on last. If it went on before a wax, then the wax on top of it would degrade with the Glaze, which in turn would be a wasted application. 

I'm not a detail professional, but I have consulted professionals on this topic.

This has been a long debated topic here lol. People get great results either way. I put the glaze under the sealant then topped with patriot 6 hrs after my sealant was applied. I got a strong 6 months out of the sealant and the only reason I reapplied was due to it being time to get a winter prep done before it got to cold. Either way you do it you will have great results.

This has been a long debated topic here lol. People get great results either way. I put the glaze under the sealant then topped with patriot 6 hrs after my sealant was applied. I got a strong 6 months out of the sealant and the only reason I reapplied was due to it being time to get a winter prep done before it got to cold. Either way you do it you will have great results.

Fair enough :) personally, I have never even used Brilliant Glaze. My SUV is white.. lol I don't think it would do me that much good.

It's official. Placed my order. Got the adams essential kito, paint correction and polish combo, paint sealant, 3 cans of in and out, black white and orange foam pads and some of the car strip. Ready to get the truck right!

Sounds like a great order Jonny! Make sure to ask any questions you have. Lots of good folks here willing to help.

Good point. When I did my first detail on my new 4Runner this year, I applied Revive Hand Polish in place of machine polishing. That removes oxidation, and can be used in substitute of polishing if the paint is in good shape and doesn't need correction.

Brilliant glaze doesn't last very long at all, and offers no protection. You'd be better off applying it over Buttery and getting the best of both worlds :)

I will give that a try