Customer Service 866.965.0400

H20 Guard and Gloss then Clay Bar?

mdsmith6207

Question

I'm planning on doing my first clay bar on my car this upcoming Friday. However, I really like using the H20 Guard and Gloss to help my car dry better. I'm concerned that putting this layer of protection on my car will hinder its ability to pick up small particles in the clear coat with the clay bar. Do I have to go with the usual Detail Spray as my drying assistant or would this be an acceptable proceedure as well?

9 answers to this question

Personally if you're going to clay, I'd do a strip wash first. Then you're at the bare paint anyways and can maximize the particles you pick up in the clay, using Detail Spray or diluted Rinseless as lube. Like stated above, you don't even need to dry after the wash. Just apply a little lube and clay away. Then wash and apply G&G afterwards.

I was hoping to get strip wash with either of the mystery boxes I received, but alas I was not lucky enough and just have to deal with it. What would you recommend to get the sealant/wax off from previous weeks (it has been over a month since last G&G and 2 weeks since last wax)? But am I missing something? Shouldn't you dry the car ASAP to prevent water spots, even if you are clay barring the car immediately afterwards? If not, thats going to save me quite the nice little step.

Counter productive. Dry with Detail Spray or Rinseless Diluted.

Also claying may lead to small scratches and swirls in the paint because of the contaminants that it picks up. This is why I only clay if I plan on polishing afterwards. 

I was hoping to get strip wash with either of the mystery boxes I received, but alas I was not lucky enough and just have to deal with it. What would you recommend to get the sealant/wax off from previous weeks (it has been over a month since last G&G and 2 weeks since last wax)? But am I missing something? Shouldn't you dry the car ASAP to prevent water spots, even if you are clay barring the car immediately afterwards? If not, thats going to save me quite the nice little step.

To make a strip wash you can add a few ounces of all purpose cleaner to your wash. That's how we did it before strip wash was released.

If you're going to clay, the water spots that could develop should come right out easily enough with some detail spray.

Like was mentioned above, I'll rarely clay if I don't plan on polishing. When I polish I'll wash, clay and polish before any residue gets removed. Depending on the paint, I'll glaze before sealing too and that would go on right after polishing so I won't wipe until that step.

I will use a blaster and blow water from seams and trim though as well. That way I don't get the annoying water drips after I've worked hard to restore or protect a finish.

Enjoy the process.

I was hoping to get strip wash with either of the mystery boxes I received, but alas I was not lucky enough and just have to deal with it. What would you recommend to get the sealant/wax off from previous weeks (it has been over a month since last G&G and 2 weeks since last wax)? But am I missing something? Shouldn't you dry the car ASAP to prevent water spots, even if you are clay barring the car immediately afterwards? If not, thats going to save me quite the nice little step.

If you have no Strip Wash, then mix in 3-4oz of All Purpose Cleaner in with your Car Wash Shampoo, and that will work just as well. And no, you don't have to dry after the strip wash. Even if you get minor water spotting, you'll either clay them off or wash them off after your secondary wash.

Jason is right above though. If you're claying, you may get minor swirling so may want to consider polishing as well. If not, it's not the end of the world. You'll just have to polish down the road.

Dang lol, Shane beat me to it by a few seconds. 

Edited by Mariner

Forgive me, I forget not everyone uses DI water. Do you have a shaded area to work with?