Customer Service 866.965.0400

Snow brush?

Ekim716

Question

I realize this might not be the right area to post this and also might be a silly question in general but here it goes... Is there good and bad snow brushes? This is regarding the bristles, whether or not they with damage the paint over the course of the winter (Being that I'm in Buffalo) we see our fair share of snow and ice and for months at at time. Is there certain ones that you guys recommend or is there no need to worry. Thanks

20 answers to this question

I let no brush touch my finish . I clear off the windows and that's it

Well in my state (Delaware) you can be ticketed if you don't have your car or truck cleaned off. I know it sux but that is why I have to do a good polish after the winter time. I usually just take the snow off and try to leave a light coat on the paint, that way it helps on eliminating most scratches.

Well in my state (Delaware) you can be ticketed if you don't have your car or truck cleaned off. I know it sux but that is why I have to do a good polish after the winter time. I usually just take the snow off and try to leave a light coat on the paint, that way it helps on eliminating most scratches.

if I had to brush (by law) it would be a boars hair brush

if I had to brush (by law) it would be a boars hair brush

The biggest problem is not the bristles of the brush it's the snow and ice that can kill the paint. I have a softer brush that I use and sometimes it wont move the snow. If at all possible I use the remote starter and let my truck heat uo enough were most of it falls off but it can still scratch as it is falling off.

All snow has to be removed from the roof, hood, and trunk in Pennsylvania too.  Luckily I have a garage and am retired so I don't have to deal with it.  Keep a good coat of sealant and wax on the car all winter and use the brush sparingly and you should be okay.  Just don't force the snow if it's stuck to the paint and DON'T CHIP AT IT! 

In New York, I see a ton of crazy people who one brush off maybe half their windshield and all their other windows and even their lights are covered in snow. But anyways, thanks for all the input. I just put a coat of LPS on yesterday after a pretty thorough wash and clay, might put on a coat of wax over it today since this is the last week that is looking like it'll be in the 50's. 

Do what you need to for the Windows, it's a safety thing. For the paint I always brush the snow off the car, but I leave about an inch of snow on the car.

Same here,don't go all the way to the paint.Finger Lakes here,I feel your pain.

Edited by 1911A1

The biggest problem is not the bristles of the brush it's the snow and ice that can kill the paint. I have a softer brush that I use and sometimes it wont move the snow. If at all possible I use the remote starter and let my truck heat uo enough were most of it falls off but it can still scratch as it is falling off.

I feel you here. My trunk got all scratched up from ice being stuck in-between the spoiler and the trunk. Lancer paint is so darn soft. 

As for snow, you have to remove it here. That, it it is unsafe to leave it. I make sure I have my paint sealed up nicely before winter. When snow hits, I can remove it in a gentle swoop, never touching the paint. Now, if the snow itself has ice/rocks/dirt, it can scratch. If your paint was dirty, it can scratch...

Ideal situation is to have a garage, but sometimes you cannot help it. In those situations, easy does it. Almost no pressure. Let gravity do the work once you "break" the friction point.

Same issue here in CT. You WILL get a very expensive ticket for not clearing the snow off your car.  

I have come across the following item that is a Foam Snow Brush - that is sturdy and won't scratch your car.  

It is the True Temper Scratch Free Snow Brush by the Ames Company.  I think they can be found in Home Depot or ordered on-line through Amazon.

I  clear off the show but leave just a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of snow on the car- it will melt off after the car is heated up- and it won't cause a safety hazard as you drive down the road.  Lord knows we have all been behind THAT person that does not clean their car off and we are dodging ice shards and snow chunks!

L

Click to play video