Customer Service 866.965.0400

Headlight restoration

Dwhite0960

Question

Decided since I was bored today I would attempt my first stab at making headlights clear. I used my test victim beater as always. It's 16 years old and sat under a walnut tree most of its life before I meet my wife. I would say it got washed by rain and that's about it lol. I have never wet sanded before so that was also a first. It's not perfect but it's a vast improvement. I used grits 220, 320, 600, 800, 2000. I had to go down to 220 to remove this funk I know typically 600 is about as far as you go on a headlight. I sprayed the light with clear coat x3 and finished with a follow up 2000 sanding then buff and polish. I used a sealant to try and protect as much as possible. I will be testing some paint correction next on the ole rocket, it will make for killer 50/50 shots. Any tips you can offer I'm all ears.

post-13607-0-17660400-1480631934_thumb.jpg

post-13607-0-83118000-1480631951_thumb.jpg

post-13607-0-39663700-1480631971_thumb.jpg

24 answers to this question

Thanks Chris they a far from perfect but once I got all the oxidation off there were tons a stress cracks in the plastic so I just did what i needed to for driving safety and left it alone. I will get the dri side next and then it's off to the truck which are just starting to show some issues so I'm sure it will be much smoother

Bump.

I plan to correct my daily's headlights in spring. So the recommended polish after wet sanding would be Adam's Heavy Correcting Compound followed by Finishing Polish. Is that the general consensus? I have all three polishes--so just clarifying between Heavy and Correcting. Will seal and wax once done. (Apologies if I missed it in another thread.)

Link below is what I have and have used.  It does advertise that it won't leave brush marks.  However when I first used it, it was almost 100 degrees outside and it was a one shot deal.  Going over spots more than once left brush marks.  I'm certain it was due to the outside temperature.  It is best applied when cooler.  I did get it right, but it took removing the stuff and starting over.  It was work.  I will be doing the headlights on my DD and my kids truck this spring with the same kit.  It works well.  I bought the kit at a local automotive paint supply store. 

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/Headlight-Restore-Kit.html

Edited by LFairbanks

Once they are polished you will need to add protection every few months, or re-polish as needed.  I can only get about 5 months protection from any sealant.  

There are headlight coatings available but most require sanding to completely remove the factory coating.   

I may give the brush clear coat Chris recommended a try the next time.

You could probably get away with just buying the "Diamond Finish" product.  I didn't find the "Klean" really necessary.  The salesperson that sold me the stuff told me to sand off all of the old finish on the headlights with 1200 grit.  Then go over it with 1500 grit, then apply the clear coat.  I too would say there is more than enough to do 4 headlights as is advertised in the link I posted.  There is also a video in the link if you scroll down.

Some may associate their headlights needing to be cleaned up by the cloudy look.  Mine on my DD aren't cloudy looking, but the clear coat is obviously failing on the headlamps.  If you have this happening it will look a lot like what it does when it fails on paint.  

Well, spring came and went and so did summer. Here it is fall and I finally worked on my 08 Astra headlights today.  Just Heavy Correcting Polish and microfiber pad didn't touch the hot mess of my headlights.  So I proceeded to I fumble through the wet-sanding. I got progressively better/ halfway acceptable as I went (I think?). I used 600, 800, 1000, 2000, 3000 grit. Then polished with the microfiber and Heavy Correcting, then Correcting w/ orange pad, followed by Finishing polish and pad using a SK Mini. I put sealant down afterward. Will probably put PPF on them. No awards to win here, but 100% better, and pleased! :pc: 

Takeaways: 1. I didn't have a blue foam pad, and think that would have been just the ticket after the microfiber pad.  I'm going to use my $5 scratch-off coupon to justify my shipping for getting the pads ordered and delivered before my next larger order. 2. I started polishing using my 3 inch orbital (non Adam's) and I was left a little "wanting," if you will.  I used my Pop's SK Mini (which I gave him for his bday) and I am a little jealous.  It's way better than mine. 3. I have put PS down only by hand before today.  Never again.  It was way better by machine. Was able to get the right amount, so buffing off was super easy. (I have the old PS.) 

IMG_2349.JPG

IMG_2355.JPG

IMG_2373.JPG