Customer Service 866.965.0400

Swirls...

Ls1transam

Question

So I buffed a door out on a 2007 Avalanche. It wasn't the factory paint. The door has been resprayed. There was a lot of sanding marks and haze left. So after waiting the 60 days recommended I buffed with the orange pad and correction polish. The door was really close to perfect. So I stopped and put Sealant on there. The truck has only been washed once since and it was by me. I used clean wash pads and a foam canon with the 2 bucket method. All Adams products. When I wash i use back and forth motions, and the same for when I buff off Sealant or wax. But now there are swirls in the door, like in a circular motion. I'm wondering if maybe I didn't remove all the swirls like I thought, maybe the polish was filling them in and over time and washing the old polish came out. Or since the truck is black it needed finishing polish after the correction polish. Or maybe the gray foam pad put the swirls in it while I was applying Sealant. I'd take pics but the truck is dirty at the moment. Just a little frustrated.

8 answers to this question

The clue is the swirls are circular.   Before you started, where the sanding marks in a circular pattern, or show pig tails?  What kind of machine did you use with the correction polish?

Black almost always needs to be finished off with a finer polish.   Repaints almost always (in my experience...) softer than the factory paint job.   So, fully expect to do a 2 step polish process on repainted panels in black.

I'd recommend a milder polish and a soft foam pad, using a RO polisher if you have one.   Moderate speeds, do a small section as a test spot first.    

​Agree with Chris's comments above.

​Either not removed completely initially, or also it may have happened if you used incorrect drying method when it was washed.

Photos would really help to get you the moist accurate response.

2 things come to mind.

Being repainted the body shop would use a wool pad with an aggressive compound, usually on an air powered buffer to buff the sanding marks out of the fresh clear coat. This almost always leaves spiderwebs in the clear. Which will still take some work to get completely out.

Second thought is. Using detail spray while drying helps dry it easier and quicker. From my experience doing it both ways.

​Agree with Chris's comments above.

​Either not removed completely initially, or also it may have happened if you used incorrect drying method when it was washed.

Photos would really help to get you the moist accurate response.

That made me giggle too much  :lol:

Could be from the orange polish.  My Subaru had a very soft paint and I ended up having to do a 2 step polish to finish it.  It looked just like to are saying, circular swirls, everywhere.  Once I used the fine polish it looked perfect though.

That made me giggle too much :lol:

Could be from the orange polish. My Subaru had a very soft paint and I ended up having to do a 2 step polish to finish it. It looked just like to are saying, circular swirls, everywhere. Once I used the fine polish it looked perfect though.

I would say you're right. I'm just paranoid I caused the swirls when washing and drying, or from the gray foam pad I used to apply Sealant. Even though I wash in back and forth motions. I don't see how that could make circular swirls though lol.

I would say you're right. I'm just paranoid I caused the swirls when washing and drying, or from the gray foam pad I used to apply Sealant. Even though I wash in back and forth motions. I don't see how that could make circular swirls though lol.

If your worried, make sure to clean out all your pads good now.  Who knows.  Maybe something small got trapped in one.