Customer Service 866.965.0400

Garage Renovation Questions

lucyisoncloud9

Hi all, I'm new to Adam's products and the forum. I'm not the detailing enthusiast, though. My boyfriend is. I just supply his addiction  :lolsmack: 

We're planning on renovating the garage, but we aren't 100% sure on what the best course of action is. We're going to consult a garage expert, but in the meantime, we want to see what we can fit in the budget. The garage is approximately 20x20, I think.

This is what we're planning on putting down:
Swisstrax's Ribtrax
Laticrete Hydro-Ban for waterproofing the walls, floors, and possibly the ceiling
Behr's Ultra Pure White Hi-Gloss Enamel Paint to go over the Hydro-ban  
Saber cabinets: (4) 2 door upper cabinets, (1) stainless steel work top, (2) 2 door base cabinets
Better LED lighting
Possibly an exhaust fan and an air purifier. 

Do these seem reasonable? We aren't sure about the air purifier. Does anyone else have one? Is it necessary? I'm of the opinion that it'll cut down on dust and help the garage stay cleaner, longer, but he thinks that it's pointless because he hasn't heard of anyone really using one outside of a shop. And do we need the exhaust fan? Will it bring in a draft? The garage is 15-20 degrees warmer than the outside temperature in the winter, and we want to keep it like that. And is there anything else we're missing? 

Probably don't need an exhaust fan unless you plan on running the vehicles inside, or you are doing metal work and grinding, or wood working. If that is the case you could go with more of a dust collecter, for wood and metal working. Any air that is sucked out by an exhaust fan will need to be replaced or made up with fresh air, almost always air from out side, so depending on the size of the fan it could cool down the garage if it's cold outside.

If I'm wrong please let me know!

IMO my garage gets dirty or dusty from having the door open and wind blowing stuff in.

I would suggest a very light gray color for the walls. That way if you do happen to get a dirty hand print on the wall, it's a little easier to hide. At work we have white metal walls and always look dirty, even after we clean. Just having a lighter color on the walls will really help brighten up a garage. Not sure if you need hi-gloss, unless your thinking for clean ups.

Not trying to convince one way or the other, just my opinion.

Edited by neontrucks

LED lighting is wonderful. I replaced all incandescent lamps with LED strip lights last summer. 10 times the light for 1/2 the power consumption.

I always forget about the energy savings, good point! Do yours seem a little shadowy? Have them at work, I think they're mounted to high, that would be hard to do in a home garage. Sorry for the post hijacking.

Is the garage already drywalled?  If not, insulate the walls and ceiling so it stays warmer in the winter, and cooler in the summer.

For detailing, there is no need for an exhaust fan or air filter, but a heater would be a good thing to have to allow for Rinseless or Waterless washing in the garage during winter.

Laticrete Hydro Ban is a product that is used for waterproofing under tile, stone, brick, etc.  It cannot be painted.  Also, on the floor it would have to be tiled over, since it cannot be driven on, or left exposed to weather. 

https://laticrete.com/~/media/datasheets/lds6630_improved.ashx

Unless the garage is going to be used as a wash bay, there is no need for this level of waterproofing.  Just prime the drywall, and then apply two coats of an exterior grade paint. 

Also check to see what it would take to put a utility sink in the garage, and add some wire shelving to use as a drying rack for towels, wash pads, and applicators.

I always forget about the energy savings, good point! Do yours seem a little shadowy? Have them at work, I think they're mounted to high, that would be hard to do in a home garage. Sorry for the post hijacking.

Ceiling height is 12 feet, I mounted three in front portion of garage (2 car garage) and 3 at back of space. All are ceiling mounted and no shadowing, not a perfect setup so I still have to use swirl finding hand held light, for up close paint inspection, but I'm not a pro so it works for my purposes. It's a heck of a lot better than the bare bulb incandescent lights the contractor installed when house was built. The one thing I am glad I insisted on was hot/cold water and floor drains in the garage. Since it's insulated, temp never drops below 45F, even today when it is only 9 degrees out.

Hi Lucy welcome to the forum, will you be using the garage as a wash bay? Seems a bit like overkill. The garage cabinets you chose are basic metal cabinets that really don't have a good warranty. Some manufactures offer lifetime warranties within the same price range. Here is a link they have a great sale right now and you can always find them on sale at Costco.com or overstock.com with free shipping and they have many price points to fit your budget.

http://shopnewage.com/onsales?_ga=1.140587894.55589

I also put in new led lights from Costco and the works just fine, especially for $20 bucks on sale lol

Good Luck

2X on NewAge cabinets. They have several lines of cainets. I have the Pro 3.0 and am very happy with them.

I personally am not a fan of using a residential garage as a wash bay expect for waterless/rinselss type washing. It would be ultra convenient, but what a mess with all the other stuff typically found in a residential garage.

NYC weather is such that insulation would be nice...and a small heater would be great in the winter.

Edited by LT1xL82

I would recommend Racedeck flooring and if you join the garagejournal.com you will get a discount.

I have Racedeck Freeflow in my garage and I really like it.

As far as the cabinets, I have Gladiator garage and they too are nice.

attachicon.gifIMG_3941.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3946.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3933.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3934.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3940.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3943.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3944.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3947.JPG

That,Sir, is an Awesome garage!!!!!!!

I would recommend Racedeck flooring and if you join the garagejournal.com you will get a discount.

I have Racedeck Freeflow in my garage and I really like it.

As far as the cabinets, I have Gladiator garage and they too are nice.

attachicon.gifIMG_3941.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3946.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3933.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3934.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3940.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3943.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3944.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3947.JPG

If I'd have known I could find such an awesome garage back home in WV, I don't know if I would've ever moved away.  ;)

Nice work, Chris!  :bow:  :2thumbs: Lucy, you've got some work to do to catch up!

Thank you all for replying! Sorry for the slow response, life has gotten in the way. 
We're planning on using the garage for occasional washes. 
Evan: I was thinking the high gloss for easy clean up, but grey paint doesn't sound bad. 
Joe and Joel: The NewAge cabinets do look nice. Thanks so much! 

2X on NewAge cabinets. They have several lines of cainets. I have the Pro 3.0 and am very happy with them.

I personally am not a fan of using a residential garage as a wash bay expect for waterless/rinselss type washing. It would be ultra convenient, but what a mess with all the other stuff typically found in a residential garage.

NYC weather is such that insulation would be nice...and a small heater would be great in the winter.

The typical garage stuff are going to be moved out of the garage completely. 

Chris: Holy cow, that's super impressive!!