Customer Service 866.965.0400

VRT vs. Tire Shine

Gevster

Tire Shine vs. VRT  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Which product for a deep matte black tire finish?

Question

I've looked into both considerably but I really still am not 100% sure which one I'm interested in getting. My goal is to have a dark, black, deep matte finish on my tire as though it was brand new, not shiny! The VRT seems to deliver the matte black look I'm chasing but many have said it doesn't last as long as the Tire Shine. The only thing about the tire shine however is that even when applied to create a "matte" finish it still comes out pretty shiny based on pictures and videos I've seen; I personally am against shine on my tires, I think it makes it looks unnatural.

Where I am currently, it's been raining a fair amount, 3-4 days a week and getting to temperatures as low as 25-30 degrees Fahrenheit at nights. In these conditions will the VRT wear off too easily? I have no problem applying the VRT monthly but weekly would be kind of insane. Would appreciate any knowledge and advice, thank you! 

Also I'm new so, nice to meet you everyone!

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

My vote is for VRT in this instance. If it's raining 3-4 days a week, both products are going to wear down more quickly than usual, but you will get more applications out of one bottle of VRT rather than spraying Tire Shine - a few small drops of VRT onto an applicator block can usually cover at least 1/3 of a sidewall circumference for me. I usually apply VRT twice a week on my daily driver - I want it to always look good, and it takes me less than 4 minutes to do all four tires, so I guess that makes me insane ;)

To get the matte look with Tire Shine, you will need to keep rubbing the product in with more effort to knock down the shine to the desired look. Again this is my opinion on the matter and others may offer completely different input...that's what's great about this forum :)

VRT is the most straight forward to what you're looking for. I'm doing a 'new car prep' on a new car over the next few days. After Tire & Rubber Cleaner, I'll air dry the tire and wheel with the sidekick and then throw on a nice even coat of VRT. When I'm done with the detail I'll come back over it, and then maintain with Tire Shine. Ususally when I'm applying Tire Shine, I squirt 2 to 3 shots into a foam block and play ring around the tire. It's not a 'matte' finish, but more of a satin finish. 

That's some nice work and a good look. I've found the the tire and rubber cleaner has been taking multiple passes to achieve the desired result. It definitely hasn't been as easy as the video portrays despite using it on a variety of vehicles. I still use it, I just know I need to work it longer and apply it a couple of times (or more for older tires). Still a good product and glad I have it.

Sounds like VRT is the look you're after.

That's some nice work and a good look. I've found the the tire and rubber cleaner has been taking multiple passes to achieve the desired result. It definitely hasn't been as easy as the video portrays despite using it on a variety of vehicles. I still use it, I just know I need to work it longer and apply it a couple of times (or more for older tires). Still a good product and glad I have it.

On the initial cleaning of a tire I agree. I got good results on the first pass. I did the second pass to get the rest, and most of my foam was white. I did the third pass just because this is a new vehichle prep and I wanted to ensure I started with the best possible foundation.

I will follow up with Tire Shine as my maintenance dressing from here on out until I get new tires.

Oh! And thank you for the compliments.

Edited by stripesace

It usually takes me 2-3 passes on most tire compounds as well, but I have had some tires clean up incredibly fast and easy. I attribute the ease or difficulty of cleaning to several factors - tire manufacturer, driving conditions, type of tire dressings previously applied to the tire, etc. 

Thanks everyone for the replies, awesome friendly responsive community we got here! I opted for the VRT and super excited to use it, thanks everyone again!

I think you'll be very happy with the results, and if not, we have our 110% satisfaction guarantee if you make the customer service team aware of any issues :)

It usually takes me 2-3 passes on most tire compounds as well, but I have had some tires clean up incredibly fast and easy. I attribute the ease or difficulty of cleaning to several factors - tire manufacturer, driving conditions, type of tire dressings previously applied to the tire, etc.

Thanks Dan. The constant feedback here is a big reason why Adam's is so great. The feedback comes from staff and the users. Love the think tank mentality that goes on here.

As a side note, I had sent you a private message asking a few ceramic questions. Just curious if you ever received it?

Thanks

I use both depending what Im doing. Which one of my cars Im detailing or just what some customers want. 

I normally reach for the VRT .. you can control the sheen and have more peace of mind that it doesn't wear off as fast. (waterproof ect) 

My wife likes shiny tires I like a med..to a matte finish

Of all the tire products that I have ever used, VRT is by FAR the nicest product that I have ever used. It gives a fantastic result on my tires. In my opinion is is a bit time consuming to use, and slightly messy as I always use gloves to apply it. But in the end its well worth it. It doesn't sling off and seems to hold up well, not to mention that fantastic appearance it gives my tires. Hope this helps!

Is there any way to get the Tire Shine to stick longer? Seems like as soon as water hits it its gone. I'm one of the oddballs that like the look of a shiny tire. :wacko:

Make sure it's cleaned thoroughly first with Tire and Rubber Cleaner. Then apply liberally, spread out, and let sit. I have some crazy shiny tires on my 4Runner and if the base is clean, it'll last a while.

Added my vote above....I'm all in on the VRT. The results and ease of use just far exceeds everything else I've tried. Even the dilution ideas that are posted in another thread are extremely useful for the various surfaces on my truck.

(Copied from another post)

Dilution Ratios: Super VRT

1:1 – spray-on, low gloss tire dressing or bedliner dressing

2:1 – spray-on detailer for vinyl soft tops, tonneau covers

3:1 - quick detail spray dressing for protecting matte vinyl wraps

Does anyone here have any experience comparing VRT to Chem Guys Vintage Series Satin Dressing? 

I like a rich deep black that's not too shiny and the Chem Guys works well, but I've recently been migrating over to Adam's stuff and was curious about the comparison. 

Thanks! 

VRT has been by far the only completely sling free product I've ever used.  Even if you get a product that doesn't actually sling, you still get some runs from around the lettering and other raised surfaces of the tire.  Not VRT.  This is an important detail.

Having said that, I just used tire shine for the first time tonight and absolutely love the appearance.  Glossy, without being too over the top.  Have not driven to see if I get sling or runs, but appearance is great.  But like others have already said, it'll come down to what mood I'm in.  If I had to choose only one at gun point...probably VRT.

Also used tire & rubber cleaner for the first time tonight.  I was caught a little off guard when I used it to wipe the tires down.  At first I thought it didn't do a good job cleaning because it left the tires very dark and matte looking, not bone dry clean like my other standard APC.  I thought they weren't clean.  But then when I applied my tire shine, no dirt or grime on the applicator at all, so apparently they were very clean.