Customer Service 866.965.0400

VRT vs. Tire Shine

Gevster

Tire Shine vs. VRT  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Which product for a deep matte black tire finish?

Question

I've looked into both considerably but I really still am not 100% sure which one I'm interested in getting. My goal is to have a dark, black, deep matte finish on my tire as though it was brand new, not shiny! The VRT seems to deliver the matte black look I'm chasing but many have said it doesn't last as long as the Tire Shine. The only thing about the tire shine however is that even when applied to create a "matte" finish it still comes out pretty shiny based on pictures and videos I've seen; I personally am against shine on my tires, I think it makes it looks unnatural.

Where I am currently, it's been raining a fair amount, 3-4 days a week and getting to temperatures as low as 25-30 degrees Fahrenheit at nights. In these conditions will the VRT wear off too easily? I have no problem applying the VRT monthly but weekly would be kind of insane. Would appreciate any knowledge and advice, thank you! 

Also I'm new so, nice to meet you everyone!

Appearance out of the 2, I like VRT. 1 application(1 coat), it had a good shine which I like and even coverage! lasted 2 weeks, but that's only because I drove thru a monsoon for 60 miles at the 2week mark, some of the vertical ridges of the front tires was still present, the rears...the vrt was completely gone.

I currently have 1 application(coat) of tire shine on, it wore off after 30-40 miles of driving, and was then only apparent in the vertical ridges.

Edit edit edit

June 4th

After applying tire shine more liberally, it has lasted over 300 miles of driving. About 60 of that was on wet roads, with light to drizzle rain. And this milage is over an 8 day period.

The tires still look great! Some wear around the inner edge and outer edge, but i def feel the tire shine has outlasted VRT.

Both products look similar when applied, and keep that look for a good but, as mentioned above the VRT held up til it rained, wondering how tire shine will do in super heavy rains.

First pic is when i applied it, second and third pic is 7 days later.

post-15891-0-54052000-1496599615_thumb.jpg

post-15891-0-65204000-1496599625_thumb.jpg

post-15891-0-85744900-1496599635_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nickfire20

I haven't used Tire Shine, but I've been using VRT for a while now and I can say that I absolutely love the appearance it gives on a freshly cleaned tire.  IMO its the perfect shine-balance.  Not too glamorous and not too matte/satin.  I've tried several other brands of tire dressing and I always come back to VRT

This thread is just what I was looking for!

Added my vote above....I'm all in on the VRT. The results and ease of use just far exceeds everything else I've tried. Even the dilution ideas that are posted in another thread are extremely useful for the various surfaces on my truck.

(Copied from another post)

Dilution Ratios: Super VRT

1:1 – spray-on, low gloss tire dressing or bedliner dressing

2:1 – spray-on detailer for vinyl soft tops, tonneau covers

3:1 - quick detail spray dressing for protecting matte vinyl wraps

This is great!

Has anyone used in n out spray on tires? I’m thinking specifically for tires with blocky sidewalks like the BFG AT KO2. I used to use an off the shelf tire foam, and it was actually great, I’d be interested to see what in n out spray would be like

VRT is my first choice for tire dressing.  I think it gives the perfect level of shine along with that clean look, without any sling.  :wub:

I use it on my Hellcat and have never had any issue with sling, even at speeds that may or may not exceed the speed limit in any of the continental United States.   ;)  :rolleyes:

This thread is just what I was looking for!

This is great!

Has anyone used in n out spray on tires? I’m thinking specifically for tires with blocky sidewalks like the BFG AT KO2. I used to use an off the shelf tire foam, and it was actually great, I’d be interested to see what in n out spray would be like

No, but I can guess it may be become a somewhat pricey endeavor.

For blocky, off road tires, here's a great video from the Shine Doc on a process using TS. I'm pretty sure you could do much the same with VRT...

[yt]

[/yt]

In and out spray works great for off-road tires!

Thank you!

No, but I can guess it may be become a somewhat pricey endeavor.

For blocky, off road tires, here's a great video from the Shine Doc on a process using TS. I'm pretty sure you could do much the same with VRT...

[yt]

[/yt]

hmm... I suppose it could, I saw that video and the process seemed a bit involved... I'll try it though

1 hour ago, tomsch63 said:

Great thread! I too could not decide between the two so I just ordered both. I also plan on using the VRT for black trim detail after each wash. Will be fun to try both products on the tires and see what I prefer. 

You’ll be glad you did. They both have their place in my arsenal. I’d also recommend you get some In & Out Spray , too.

love vrt for the dark "new/real tire" look. a little of it goes a long way and if you feel you have used to much and are not satisfied with the matte look you can use a mf towel and buff some off to achieve that look you want. 

in one of the mystery buckets i got In&Out spray and  have used it once on trim and have never had to use it again. love it.

Edited by SVillalon

And both it is! :) I'm going to play around with the VRT before my 4hr drive to Carmel CA to see how it holds up. Once I'm back of course it will be a complete 2 bucket wash with wheel cleaner followed up with HGG. At that point I'll try out the tire shine. Love all the options! 

Old post but was thinking...Ive seen a few members mention diluting the VRT 1:1 for tires.   But has anyone actually used it and any pics of results on a set of tires???  Just curious how the VRT would even mix evenly w/water?? I have both TS and VRT but was curious to experiment.  

32 minutes ago, SSilver07 said:

Can the tire shine be diluted? It would spray out a little bit easier if it wasn't as thick in my opinion.

I've never done it, but just about anything can be diluted. You'll likely lose some longevity, though. But if you want to try, unles someone else almost assuredly has and could weigh in, go for it and see what you think.

But if you're having trouble with overspray, etc., like I used to, something I found works really well is to spray the TS directly into the applicator vs. onto the tire. Saves product and a lot less messy.