Customer Service 866.965.0400

Remove sunscreen / sunblock stain from leather?

8675309'SS

Question

The task: Remove suspected sunblock stain that has been on leather seat since summer. Sunblock was probably waterproof (not sure if that makes a difference or not.) I plan to try diluted 1:1 LIC before full strength, then follow with Leather Conditioner. Going to use microfiber towel, but thought maybe cockpit brush to agitate?

Thoughts? Tips?

post-15306-0-26831700-1483143979_thumb.jpg

12 answers to this question

Yes, yes and yes.  :lol:

Your plan is solid.  Try the diluted Leather & Interior Cleaner first with a microfiber towel.  If that does not completely remove it, use the product full-strength with the towel.  If there is still some residue left, then agitate with the Cockpit Brush, then wipe with the towel.

Once clean, follow up with the Leather Conditioner to restore the leather and add protection.  Also note that keeping the leather well conditioned helps reduce any further stains like this, as the offending product does not tend to soak in if the leather pores are already filled with conditioner.

The below pictured sunscreen was noticed two weeks after returning from a week on Hilton Head Island in June. It was baked on and attached to the leather where Interior Detailer made no difference to its appearance. Leather & Interior Cleaner mixed to a PH of 8 took it off easily using only an Edgeless Utility Towel.

Sunscreen:

IMG_2703resize_zpsmeuu1dis.jpg

No Sunscreen:

IMG_2705resize_zpsyydgde4l.jpg

Sunscreen:

IMG_2704resize_zps870byp9u.jpg

No Sunscreen:

IMG_2706resize_zps2f2zixct.jpg

Leather & Interior Cleaner mixed to a pH of 8 took it off easily using only an Edgeless Utility Towel.

Here is my honest speeding train of thought when I read that: Who seriously tests the PH? --> I don't even have a pH tester. --> Who does? --> Dave, and pool owners duhhh (never had a pool or hot tub)--> Actually...Knowing the pH of solutions IS the basis of knowing how to clean them. (I rarely think of my cleaning in terms of acidic and alkaline. The labels make it too easy to not even think about the chemistry.) The precision is not unlike volume measurements vs. weighted measurements in baking. Weight is always more accurate. (Takes break to check prices of pH testers online. Looks up soil testers too.) --> Am I the only one on this forum without one? --> Wait a minute, I think I read somewhere you are an Adam's product tester, aren't you? --> ???? ????????

Thanks for your help! :)

LOL!

Yes, I do some product testing for Adam's, but that's not why I have a PH meter. My day job is in the Dairy Industry and part of my responsibilities are to work through quality issues on dairy farms. The PH meter is used to test the strength of cleaners, acids, and sanitizers, as well as the PH of the water they're starting off with to clean their milking equipment.

Added bonus is it can help me better mix water into Adam's chemicals to know what strength I'm using. Mixing Leather & Interior  Cleaner 50/50 with water is fine, but what's the PH of the water you're mixing it with: 7 neutral? 6 or lower, acidic? 8 or higher more alkaline? Without being able to test, consistency can be gained by using a known water source; Distilled Water.

Edited by BRZN

LOL!

Yes, I do some product testing for Adam's, but that's not why I have a PH meter. My day job is in the Dairy Industry and part of my responsibilities are to work through quality issues on dairy farms. The PH meter is used to test the strength of cleaners, acids, and sanitizers, as well as the PH of the water they're starting off with to clean their milking equipment.

AH HA! That is awfully handy. :) I used distilled water for my dilution. Heading out now. I'll report back on if I was successful.

After safety test, I proceeded with the cleaner. No results. ???? I'm thinking at this point it's so dry that the leather is just sucking up cleaner and it's not getting softened to lift off the stain. Is that possible? I then applied LC 3 times letting it soak in between each application, and it improved each time. It appears much better. Pic below is an hour after last go round with LC. I'll see what it looks like in the a.m.

post-15306-0-09281800-1483240258_thumb.jpg