Customer Service 866.965.0400

Quick question about pads for the Rupes 15mm

DwDrummer

Question

My wife bought me a Rupes 15mm last year for my birthday and I've yet to have time to use it. I bought a car this past weekend and it's time to try it out!:) Do I use the backing plate that it comes with from Rupes, and is the 6" Gen5 the correct pad? That's what I have and it looks too big. Just wanted to make sure before I open up the pads. I've been trying to contact Adams and no one is answering the phones today. Any help will be greatly appreciated, would like to start working on the car this afternoon.

Thanks,

DW

8 answers to this question

If you have a Rupes 15, you can use the 5.5" or the 6" pads with it.  I've used both with mine and have had no issues.  My machine is a Mark II if it makes any difference (it shouldn't).

Interesting you said they aren't answering the phones today.  I'd sent an email to them regarding an order and some other questions and haven't received a reply yet.  I placed an order Monday morning and was hoping it would have gotten out by now...but it still shows it as processing.  Looks like I won't have the product I thought I would for the weekend sadly.  Kind of messes up potential plans a bit.  Oh well, it is what it is.  Just surprised if nobody is there that they didn't put a notice out saying so.  I haven't had a delay like this from them that I can recall.  Usually it's a day or so max before an order ships.  And rarely more than a few hours before receiving a reply to emails.

I have a 15 and the pads work fine on it. Be careful not to build up to much heat in them. I know the crew was working hard on Monday i was there to pick up a few things and it was crazy busy in there. I am guessing due to the sale and the release of the new machine. 

Thanks for the help guys! My rupes is the Mark II as well. Look forward trying it out this afternoon. I will be coming from a Porter Cable 7424 so I'm hoping this machine will correct a lot better and faster. What speed do you work on?

Sucks about your order being delayed, hopefully it can ship out today! Adams has always been great to deal with and have always answered the phones and been available most of the time for chats.

Edited by DwDrummer

I think you'll find the Rupes a much better and easier to use machine than the PC.  I tend to polish at speed three or four.  I don't use five often since I feel it just spins too fast and doesn't necessarily polish.  I'll start slow and then turn it up until I'm seeing the results I'm looking for.  There is a point where there is too much speed.  When laying down sealant or glaze, I use it on one.

I'm hoping it's just a fluke thing that's causing the delay.  We will see.  Worst case scenario is I can do the prep work this weekend and then leave it ready for coating whenever they get the kits out to me.  The only saving thing is that this is for my own garage queen and not a client vehicle.  Small victories, or something like that!

Just heard from Ashley and she's pushing it out to the warehouse for me!  Doesn't mean I have it for the weekend, but possibly! 

And you're welcome.  And don't forget to post up some photos of your work when you get to use that machine!

Good deal man! Hopefully they upgraded shipping for you so you can get it by the weekend! Will try to do that, car is hugger orange so might be hard to catch the 50/50. Going to try to do the hood tonight and possibly continue to polish a little I'm sure....once you start it's kind of hard to stop especially when you see the results lol!:D

There is a little learning curve with the Rupes.  You use it like other DA polishers, but your technique may need some refinement first.  The Rupes like to be kept very flat.  You may not realize how much you tilt a PC, so may want to shoot a video of you doing a flat panel.  I was very surprised that I do not keep the pad flat when I saw my video.  And as Shane said, run it slower.  Such a smooooth machine!