Customer Service 866.965.0400

Americana Paste Wax versus the Competitors

mathews31

Question

This is my first time posting a new topic so please be easy, also if there is another thread that already has this topic I'd be grateful for a redirect. So I started detailing my own car about a year ago when I came upon Adam's Polishes. I was just using some minor tools, like clay and microfiber towels and so recently I pulled the trigger on the Americana Paste wax and a few other goodies. Now because I live in NY I haven't gotten a chance to put them to a full test, but I figured I'd try to at least do a comparison between Americana Paste Wax and a Meguiar's Wax that I saw at a local store. After I finished I found it hard to tell the difference. Below I've detailed what I did. Any tips, expert or novice are welcome.

Keep in mind I have not washed the car since November so that probably played a part, I also did not paint correct because I don't have a machine.

Step 1: Cleaned the area with Mother's Showtime spray (that was all I could think to use, couldn't use water because of restrictions)

Step 2: Clayed the two spots with the same clay bar and wiped with a microfiber towel.

Step 3: Applied Adam's Americana Paste Wax as directed on the container. I left it on for about 5 or 10 minutes and then wiped it off.

Step 4: Apply the Meguiar's Wax in a similar fashion and then wiped off after 10 minutes.

DONE

This was done in my garage in a NY winter.

After feeling both areas and looking at the way they look, I don't really see a difference. Any advice is appreciated...I'm hoping I didn't get jipped for $50 on Americana Paste Wax especially considering I really like Adam's Products

Thanks. 

I think your side by side test is a difficult comparison.  Were there any differences in how easily the wax was applied or removed?  Americana is a wax that's very easy to apply and remove.  There are waxes that don't remove as easily and take a lot of scrubbing.  The cooler temperatures in NY helped stop it from drying too quickly causing it to be difficult to remove.

I'm not familiar with the Mother's Showtime spray.  Is it like a general detail spray?  It sounds as though you did the same prep on both areas.

The other big factor is in how long the wax stays looking good.  That's a test that will take time to determine.  I like the Americana, but my absolute favorite is Patriot.  That's a concourse wax that provides some serious depth of shine.  Overall, I don't think it's as durable as Americana but it definitely offers a depth of shine seldom rivaled.  

Were you able to look at the results in a few different lights?  Garage lights don't always provide the best viewing situations either.  I know when I ceramic coat a vehicle, it looks pretty "blah" in the garage.  Once it's rolled out into the sun though, you need to put your sunglasses on.  Lighting has a way of bringing out hiding differences in finishes.

I don't think you got ripped $50 for Americana Wax.  For the money, I think it's a great wax.

I had the current version of Americana and was impressed. EASY on/off, nice shine.

Then the fine folks at Adams bought back a reformulated Patriot. I couldn't resist...can't wait to try it out!

When you try it, I'd be really interested in a side-by-side because I couldn't justify the price bump. The Patriot wax was out when I bought my wax but I was hesitant.

I think your side by side test is a difficult comparison.  Were there any differences in how easily the wax was applied or removed?  Americana is a wax that's very easy to apply and remove.  There are waxes that don't remove as easily and take a lot of scrubbing.  The cooler temperatures in NY helped stop it from drying too quickly causing it to be difficult to remove.

I'm not familiar with the Mother's Showtime spray.  Is it like a general detail spray?  It sounds as though you did the same prep on both areas.

The other big factor is in how long the wax stays looking good.  That's a test that will take time to determine.  I like the Americana, but my absolute favorite is Patriot.  That's a concourse wax that provides some serious depth of shine.  Overall, I don't think it's as durable as Americana but it definitely offers a depth of shine seldom rivaled.  

Were you able to look at the results in a few different lights?  Garage lights don't always provide the best viewing situations either.  I know when I ceramic coat a vehicle, it looks pretty "blah" in the garage.  Once it's rolled out into the sun though, you need to put your sunglasses on.  Lighting has a way of bringing out hiding differences in finishes.

I don't think you got ripped $50 for Americana Wax.  For the money, I think it's a great wax.

I hope you're right...the funny thing is I just started keeping my car in the garage so I don't think it's even seen rain, to see how the wax holds up weather but I guess I'll also be watching for a time-test. Yeah, Mother's is a sort of detail spray, it comes with the package that I get my clay bars from. Is it better to apply in warm weather you're saying or better in cold water?

I've been using Adam's for over 12 years now and have tried every version of Americana and Patriot that they've come out with.  Before that I used Mothers or Meguiars, even Turtle Wax Ice.  I got "okay" results..............because I didn't know any better. I thought the cars looked as good as they could and that those were the best results I could expect.  

Once I started learning from Adam, and following the videos and using the products, I found out just how crappy my car's paint was. I didn't get everything all at once, but started with what I knew to do at the time and then added products as I learned how to use them.  Like I said, I think I've used every reintroduction of Americana and it's always been good, then better, but this newest incarnation is the best yet.  It goes on so easy,  wipes off even easier, and leaves a shine like no other.    I put the Brilliant Glaze on underneath the wax for the deepest shine and best protection.  The glaze will bring out the best shine in combination with the Americana (you can use a sealant instead of the glaze if that's what you prefer), but you're going to find a huge improvement over the Autozone and Pep Boys stuff.  I never thought I'd ever spend $50 for a little pot of wax, but I think I made a great investment.

I use to use the stuff Autozone and Advanced auto parts had on the shelf. That was a long time ago. However, the Shine factor they gave my car was really really good. Side by side comparison on one panel and you couldn't tell the difference in a cheap wax or Adam's. But do the whole car in one wax, strip it and then do the whole car in Adam's wax and take a pic and see. And make sure the lighting is the same. That's when I started noticing Adam's has more Shine, and makes the metallic in my paint really pop. Plus, the durability and hydrophobic properties with Adam's is better for me. I'm not some Adam's fan boy either. There are 2 other companies I use along side Adam's and that is a deadly combo for Shine! So, I don't think you've made a mistake buying the Americana. I'm gonna try it soon myself. And offer it to customers this season when i detail their car.

Americana and Patriot are two of the best waxes on the market. I left the company you had mentioned due to the fact that the product (wax or sealant) was done in less then a month. The majority of shine comes from cleaning (wash, clay, polish, etc) Wax/sealant/coating is like the icing. However, 3 months down the road your vehicle will still clean up easy and have a great shine with Adams. Also try Adams Detail Spray when you clay! You will see a big difference compared to the brand you used.

Here is a comparison of Patriot and Americana. The Yellow Jacket has Patriot and the Hellcat has Americana. Another important point is that they both go on and off super easy.

post-7699-0-94898700-1486558999_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thorsager

Americana and Patriot are two of the best waxes on the market. I left the company you had mentioned due to the fact that the product (wax or sealant) was done in less then a month. The majority of shine comes from cleaning (wash, clay, polish, etc) Wax/sealant/coating is like the icing. However, 3 months down the road your vehicle will still clean up easy and have a great shine with Adams. Also try Adams Detail Spray when you clay! You will see a big difference compared to the brand you used.

Here is a comparison of Patriot and Americana. The Yellow Jacket has Patriot and the Hellcat has Americana. Another important point is that they both go on and off super easy.

attachicon.gif009.jpg

I think you've almost caused me a conflict of interest because I personally love Dodge and after seeing the way those Challengers look I'm almost about to drop the $100 on the Patriot wax. I think I'll have to wait and see after I do the whole car, and then also see after a a time frame, I may have been a little impatient because I was expecting to see results immediately, such as when you feel a car after claying it, but I'm in for the long haul I guess I'll just have to wait and see how the results hold up after a few months. 

I've been using Adam's for over 12 years now and have tried every version of Americana and Patriot that they've come out with.  Before that I used Mothers or Meguiars, even Turtle Wax Ice.  I got "okay" results..............because I didn't know any better. I thought the cars looked as good as they could and that those were the best results I could expect.  

Once I started learning from Adam, and following the videos and using the products, I found out just how crappy my car's paint was. I didn't get everything all at once, but started with what I knew to do at the time and then added products as I learned how to use them.  Like I said, I think I've used every reintroduction of Americana and it's always been good, then better, but this newest incarnation is the best yet.  It goes on so easy,  wipes off even easier, and leaves a shine like no other.    I put the Brilliant Glaze on underneath the wax for the deepest shine and best protection.  The glaze will bring out the best shine in combination with the Americana (you can use a sealant instead of the glaze if that's what you prefer), but you're going to find a huge improvement over the Autozone and Pep Boys stuff.  I never thought I'd ever spend $50 for a little pot of wax, but I think I made a great investment.

Can I use a sealant if I don't paint correct? I've always been confused about that. I've actually been looking into a Rupes LH21 but I can't justify the money even if it isn't the Mark II. I'm also concerned that it wouldn't be able to get the swirls out of my black car. I looked for a forum post with any information from anyone using a Swirl Killer on a black car and can't seem to find any, so I've been looking to see if after that maybe the Americana will show its worth...  :blink:

You can certainly use a sealant if you don't paint correct. Although I would advise that you at the very least, Strip Wash and Clay prior to sealing. Perhaps even apply Revive Hand Polish after claying, and then another quick wash. After this, the sealant has a much better surface to bond to and you'll get the longest lasting durability. 

Personally, I have never tried the Americana. However, I do have some of the older Patriot and it's the easiest on and off wax I've ever used. It gives my white SUV a little extra pop. 

Can I use a sealant if I don't paint correct? I've always been confused about that. I've actually been looking into a Rupes LH21 but I can't justify the money even if it isn't the Mark II. I'm also concerned that it wouldn't be able to get the swirls out of my black car. I looked for a forum post with any information from anyone using a Swirl Killer on a black car and can't seem to find any, so I've been looking to see if after that maybe the Americana will show its worth...  :blink:

A couple of thoughts.  Yes, you absolutely can use sealant without correction.  The sealant simply seals the paint.  It doesn't have an affect on correction or not. 

As for polishers, for a regular user, you can't go wrong with the Adam's Swirl Killer and Swirl Killer Mini.  You'll spend less than you would for a Rupes 21 and have plenty of power and durability for home use.  I don't think you could go wrong.  I'll also add that I don't have a Rupes 21, but I can't say I see a huge use for that size machine.  I use a Cyclo, Rupes 15 MKII, Rupes Mini and a Nano and haven't ever felt the need for "more" polisher.

One thing we all need to remember here is that shine ultimately comes from the condition of the paint, not the wax. The wax is there as a protectant. I don't purchase wax to make my truck shine, I purchase wax to add protection.

I have the older Americana and I have not had any complaints about it. It goes on and comes off easy.

The question you asked in your quote have been answered already so I'll say this. If I were you I would buy the Rupes. I have a Rupes 15mm MKll and I love it. But the Swirl Killer will get you great results and will correct any Paint with the right pad and polish combination. Get your paint looking good then put whatever wax on it you like. I heard a quote saying this, "Use what you like and use it often."

This is a quote from the site........

Americana Premium Carnauba Paste Car Wax is made in very limited quantities by an American working man, for the American working man or woman! Similar grade waxes are selling for $100, $175 even $1,500, but none of them will out-shine Adam’s Americana. We back that claim with a 110% money back guarantee. 

That being said to get the best shine you need to clay & polish first, just waxing alone won't get the best shine or wet look, it will only give you protection.

Americana is a great wax!

Longevity is also a requirement as well.  Yes, many waxes are going to make the paint look the same.  How long the wax protects is what really matters.  Check the way the surface handles water over the next 3 months and see which side performs better.

Interesting discussion,  I understand that the polishing stage is primarily responsible for the overall appearance of the paint.  But, in my opinion, the right wax/sealant on properly prepared paint does make a difference.  Why would anyone choose Patriot over Americana  if the wax didn't offer increased depth and/or gloss?  Certainly not for the increased protection.   I have both new and old Americana and the old Patriot.  Daily driver's I normally use liquid paint sealant with an occasional topper of Americana.  My garage queen gets a coat of Patriot whenever I feel the need.  I like the new Americana.  It goes on and off so nice.  Anxious to try the new Patriot but I still have a tin of the old Patriot to use.

Interesting discussion,  I understand that the polishing stage is primarily responsible for the overall appearance of the paint.  But, in my opinion, the right wax/sealant on properly prepared paint does make a difference.  Why would anyone choose Patriot over Americana  if the wax didn't offer increased depth and/or gloss?  Certainly not for the increased protection.   I have both new and old Americana and the old Patriot.  Daily driver's I normally use liquid paint sealant with an occasional topper of Americana.  My garage queen gets a coat of Patriot whenever I feel the need.  I like the new Americana.  It goes on and off so nice.  Anxious to try the new Patriot but I still have a tin of the old Patriot to use.

How do you find the paint sealant working for you...I feel like your argument is actually true, because for some reason I don't see the Americana Paste Wax or any other wax doing any "protection," I feel like it just adds a layer of shine and hydrophobicity.

How do you find the paint sealant working for you...I feel like your argument is actually true, because for some reason I don't see the Americana Paste Wax or any other wax doing any "protection," I feel like it just adds a layer of shine and hydrophobicity.

I like the liquid paint sealant. I apply it about twice a year to my to my wife's vehicle and my daily driver. I also use guard and gloss every few washes on both vehicles. I don't want to say it will last X amount of months because that will vary greatly depending on where you live, how often the vehicle is washed, and whether or not it is garaged. If protection and durability are your main objective, the coatings seem to be the way to go. I have no experience with Adams coating but will be trying it in the future.

Why would anyone choose Patriot over Americana  if the wax didn't offer increased depth and/or gloss?  

I'd be interested in this one.  Seems Americana gets most of the praise and publicity.  Wonder if most but the purest of purist sway away from Patriot just due to price?  

ABSOLUTELY the right wax will transform even the most perfect corrected paint!

I'd be interested in this one. Seems Americana gets most of the praise and publicity. Wonder if most but the purest of purist sway away from Patriot just due to price?

Americana does get a lot of praise since it's their staple wax. The Patriot is more expensive. That alone will sway some people. Just like some people will use Buttery since it's less expensive. The Americana Wax is a great wax. Goes on easy and comes off just as well. It also offers an extra layer of protection. The protection comes from a layer left on the vehicle that wears off with time.

The Patriot Wax actually doesn't seem to last as long as Americana, which is why I use it more so on the garage queen. The Patriot Wax will provide a little more depth than Americana (which is more or less visible on some colors). That depth is exactly what I want on my garage queen.

Different flavors for different folks. Nobody is right or wrong. And we all choose the combination that satisfies our needs (visual, financial, or anything else).

I'd be interested in this one.  Seems Americana gets most of the praise and publicity.  Wonder if most but the purest of purist sway away from Patriot just due to price?  

I have both.  The NEW Americana was is a breeze to use.  So is the Patriot.  Just depends on  my mood.