Customer Service 866.965.0400

Glass cleaning

JoseBen

Question

Hello all,

I would like to know what is the best accessory to clean the glass window? I've tried a lot of techniques, but still, my window looks awkward with streaks and hard water spots. I recently found an article regarding that and noticed that I was cleaning windows the wrong way. How do you all clean the windows?? How do you get rid of hard water spots and streaks?? Any suggestions are greatly welcomed.

17 answers to this question

I've mentioned in other threads that one of my pet peeves is having dirty glass. I want my glass completely invisible, so while my process may be a bit on the obsessive side, it keeps the glass clean 100% of the time.

Starting from a very dirty glass (especially with hard water spots/streaks) I first will use Adam's aerosol glass cleaner and one of their green glass towels with the microfiber side down on the glass. The aerosol is stronger than the regular spray and cuts a lot of the stubborn dirt and grime (with help from the green glass towel). Next, I'll come back with the detail spray (or regular glass cleaner) and clay bar the glass. This gets any "bonded" crap off the glass (tar, sap, extremely stubborn hard water spots, etc.) It also preps the glass for Adam's glass sealant (which I can't recommend enough! It's amazing). Once clay barred, I'll wipe off any excess spray, and proceed to apply the sealant then glass boost. I like to use fresh towels for each step. This ensures I don't get any streaks. Also, the blue glass towel is perfect for removing stubborn streaks left from any product.

For the interior of the windshield (and any other interior glass you feel like treating) I highly recommend the Brilliant Glaze trick. First I clean the inside of the glass with the regular glass cleaner (the aerosol tends to splatter too much and I usually don't need the extra strength on the interior glass) I then apply the Brilliant Glaze to the inside of the glass, let it haze, and then remove it. This ensures no haze builds up on the interior of the glass.

Boom! You have invisible glass. Upkeep is minimal at this point. A quick wipe-down with the regular glass cleaner and green towel removes most everything if maintained regularly (which for me is when ever there's dirt on the glass) and a freshening of the glass boost when ever the hydrophobic properties of the glass sealant seems to be wearing off.

Edited by Focus_Red

Great write up!

:iagree:

For the interior of the windshield (and any other interior glass you feel like treating) I highly recommend the Brilliant Glaze trick.

Upkeep is minimal at this point. A quick wipe-down with the regular glass cleaner and green towel removes most everything if maintained regularly

Hey, Jon. I learned of the BG trick recently so haven't tried it yet. In the video, Adam says he just uses a clean towel for upkeep. Have you found GC works, too, and doesn't remove the BG (which I assume is at least "a" reason Adam didn't use it)?

I like to use Adams waterless wash towels as my window towels, they are big and fit nicely in my hands, and clean the glass very well. After I finish cleaning my windows I follow them with a cotton diaper, anything that was left on the glass dissapers and looks crystal clean.

A trick I've used a few times now is Revive Hand Polish with the Blue Applicator on small water spots. I have my windows black out tint so the spots really show if they're there. Florida is so hot that by the time I'm ready to wipe down, some windows facing the sun have already dried. A quick scrub with RHP takes care of them. Then a wipe up with Glass Cleaner takes care of the remaining polish and your windows will be spotless.

I have found that once you get the windows "clean" you can just wipe them with a dry towel and they will stay "clean". Every once in a while I use glass cleaner if I see a smudge or something on the glass. Otherwise, I don't even use cleaner.

:iagree:

Hey, Jon. I learned of the BG trick recently so haven't tried it yet. In the video, Adam says he just uses a clean towel for upkeep. Have you found GC works, too, and doesn't remove the BG (which I assume is at least "a" reason Adam didn't use it)?

On the interior I would only use a towel (green or blue) no chemicals as it would remove the glaze. However I will say, since applying the BG 3 weeks ago, I haven't had to touch the interior of my windshield. And the BG is pretty easy to re-apply as well.

Quick note, make sure you get it all off the interior of the glass after you apply it. If it sits on the glass for days, it will take glass cleaner etc. to remove (which will mean you will have to re-apply)

Chris you can't go deleting your sarcasm, it gave me a good laugh...I was wondering where that smell was coming from!

Ok, Joe. I'll go there again for others' reading pleasure... I actually deleted it because the previous posts answered my question and I missed it prior to hitting submit. Also deleted the sarcasm, too, apparently!

After I finish cleaning my windows I follow them with a cotton diaper, anything that was left on the glass dissapers and looks crystal clean.

Make sure to use a clean diaper. Otherwise, double the effort. Edited by falcaineer

Ok, Joe. I'll go there again for others' reading pleasure... I actually deleted it because the previous posts answered my question and I missed it prior to hitting submit. Also deleted the sarcasm, too, apparently!

Make sure to use a clean diaper. Otherwise, double the effort.

Triple if it's a #2.

I hate my windows - no matter what I do they are so fogged up in the mornings I almost have to drive with my head out the window to see.

I have followed the videos, glass sealant etc.. This morning I tried drying the windows and using detail spray, worked somewhat but I'm still not happy. I heard somewhere to use newspaper to clean your windows ? Any thoughts?

I hate my windows - no matter what I do they are so fogged up in the mornings I almost have to drive with my head out the window to see.

I have followed the videos, glass sealant etc.. This morning I tried drying the windows and using detail spray, worked somewhat but I'm still not happy. I heard somewhere to use newspaper to clean your windows ? Any thoughts?

Is the fog inthe inside or outside? If it is inside you may want to find the source of moisture. Getting a desiccant bag to help reduce the moisture inside will help but not solve the issue.

Unfortunately as far as I know fog on the outside isn't solvable due to environmental factors that cause it to form

I have a problem with fog on the inside, cause is dampness inside from wet dog syndrome....I've been able to reduce the fog by putting two knee-high stockings with scentless kitty litter in it, one under the driver seat and one under the dog mat in the back of the car.  This hasn't solved it, but lessened the fog.  If only the dog would not get wet in the snow and rain...