Customer Service 866.965.0400

Question

So I've been reading write ups for paint corrections for about a month or two and after finally getting the courage to purchase a Swirl Killer kit, yesterday I decided to give my car a run for its money.

I had washed and clayed the car about 2 weeks ago and I had layered it with H2O G&G and Americana Paste Wax. 

To start here's what I used: Adam's Strip Wash, Wash Bucket, Wash Pad, Clay Bar (Not Adam's), Swirl Killer, MF pad, Blue, Orange and White pad, Heavy correcting compound, Correcting polish, finishing polish, Swirl Finder, and pad brush. MF towels (Not Adam's because I didn't wash those yet, but still similar quality)

I didn't want to do the whole car for lack of time and I know I probably shouldn't have done the exact spots that I did, but either way it's done...

So to start I on the actual detail I filled up a bucket part way with some strip wash a wash pad and water. Because I was only going to do the driver side doors, and half, yes half, of the trunk I didn't do a two bucket wash. I then dried with a blue waffle weave towel and then went on to clay bar using detail spray (Pumpkin :D) and then proceeded to dry the left over detail spray and move on to paint correction.

On the left side of my trunk I started with the blue foam pad, because the paint wasn't badly swirled, with the heavy correcting compound. Using the swirl finder I noticed it's not really swirled. After about 4 passes I moved on to the side doors but instead used the microfiber pad because they were very swirled. 

Using about 4 passes on each door in a crosshatch pattern.

After step 1 I then proceeded to do the same routes using the orange pad and the correcting polish on the trunk and the doors and then the finishing polish. My final step was a dry application with H2O G&G because I did't have LPS.

Here are some before and afters.

post-15440-0-99977600-1488901405_thumb.jpg

post-15440-0-69857900-1488903081_thumb.jpg

post-15440-0-53414700-1488903100_thumb.jpg

post-15440-0-40307300-1488903114_thumb.jpg

22 answers to this question

looks great!  certainly no need for being concerned about a two bucket wash.   not everyone drank that koolaid.

Ha I think for the small area that I did it didn't matter, not to mention I didn't even dip the pad into the water more than once

Mat, one day on the job and you've kicked it up to professional status, looks Great.

Thanks a lot I appreciate it.. Thank God it worked out, it's a lot different from videos to actually doing it...

Great results so far. I'll be following your progress, as I will be doing this on my daily come spring.

I look forward to picture, there's definitely still room for my learning

I realized when I first started using a polisher. It's not what you think haha. Watching and doing are totally different things lol.

The first time I watched a video I was like wow that looks like baby stuff that's going to be so smooth, but it's a lot of vibration till you get the hang of it.

A question is whether or not it makes sense to spray the panel that I'm working on with detail spray?

I spray and wipe down each panel to remove any dust as I go, it's my presence to do it this way, it all depends on the environment you're working with. Edited by ocdrifter

I use detail spray to remove polish at times, when I use to use adams stuff I found it easier to remove the polish with detail spray. The stuff I use now wipes away very easily, no need for detail spray now.

Edited by Ls1transam

A question is whether or not it makes sense to spray the panel that I'm working on with detail spray?

While polishing, I add a spray or two of DS directly to the pad, both when I first add the polish, and occassionally as I go (I don't have a "set time interval"). I think doing that vs spraying on the panels will save you a lot of product.

I use detail spray to remove polish at times, when I use to use adams stuff I found it easier to remove the polish with detail spray. The stuff I use now wipes away very easily, no need for detail spray now.

Hadn't heard of using DS to remove polish. Since you said you used it "at times," what's the benefit? My preference is a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol wipe down with the blue waffle weave towels. A lot cheaper than DS and works like a charm.

While polishing, I add a spray or two of DS directly to the pad, both when I first add the polish, and occassionally as I go (I don't have a "set time interval"). I think doing that vs spraying on the panels will save you a lot of product.

Hadn't heard of using DS to remove polish. Since you said you used it "at times," what's the benefit? My preference is a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol wipe down with the blue waffle weave towels. A lot cheaper than DS and works like a charm.

I would have random spot that wouldn't wipe off. So I used detail spray to remove the left over polish. That way I didn't have to scrub the paint really hard to remove it.

I would have random spot that wouldn't wipe off. So I used detail spray to remove the left over polish. That way I didn't have to scrub the paint really hard to remove it.

Gotcha, thanks. Will keep that in mind moving forward.