Customer Service 866.965.0400

Just cleaned/sealed my windshield, now my wipers chatter. Help!

AdamEL

Question

I have a brand new, 2017 Silverado, and I noticed right away that all the glass had some contamination from the transport truck, which isn't abnormal. So, this weekend, I finally had some time to go out and take care of it. I used a Mother's clay bar [i was out of my Adam's bar] with my Adam's glass cleaner, and got all the funk off. Then, I sealed the window with my Adam's glass sealant, and then finished the job with the Adam's glass cleaner, again. I used the appropriate Adam's applicator pad and window cleaning towel for the job. I've done this job quite a few times on my own vehicles, and for a couple of friends and have never had a problem. But today on my way to work, it was raining, so I had to use my wipers. They started chattering like crazy! They were not doing that before I cleaned and treated my windshield, so I have no idea what I could have done wrong. Again, I'm not a total noob at this job, as I've done it several times with great success. Does anybody have any tips on something I can try to get the chatter to go away? As I mentioned earlier, the truck is brand new, only 800 miles on it now, so the wipers don't need to be replaced or anything like that.

Thanks for the help! You guys always have the right answers... 

Edited by AdamEL

I would try the clay bar and sealant again, and if that fails, pick up some Bosch Icons. Factory wipers are garbage on every vehicle. 

It would appear that with a little lubrication, the chatter stops. But as soon as your wipers are on the sealant alone, it's grabbing. My money is on uncured sealant. And I know because mine did the exact same thing. I have a post about it somewhere, except I noticed grabbiness with my towels after sealant, and not with the wipers. 

Edited by Mariner

I'm thinking this is the way to go. However, when shopping the Bosch site, it only shows the OE Specialty Aero Twin as the direct fit for my truck. Do you think the '16 and '17 are actually different in that respect?

they should be the same mine were 22oe, Wal-Mart is about the cheapest

Wipers need some friction on the glass so they fold from one direction to the other. When applying products like this to the glass, it removes some of the friction and the blades can chatter. Wiper blades require a certain downward force per inch of blade. Sometimes reducing the wiper length by one inch will give just enough more downward force to cure the problem. Sometimes a new blade is also softer as the rubber becomes harder and stiff on older blades .

Why in the videos does Adam not wait for it to cure?

Don't know, you'll have to ask Adam.

Think this way; the solvent in the bottle of Glass Sealant is keeping the active ingredient in suspension. If you apply the product, and wipe it off right away, some of the solvent is still there, in essence, wiping the active ingredient right off. By allowing the product to cure, the solvent will evaporate leaving only the active ingredient on the glass to buff off.

If you're happy with the results you're getting by wiping off immediately, continue your process. This isn't rocket science, only auto detailing... 

Always look at Amazon for wipers--they usually beat WM.

Also, consider Valeo over Bosch. They're available at Tirerack.com

Yes I agree online is usually cheaper, but I was just thinking of over the counter price. I've never heard of Valeo, I'll have to do some research on those.

This problem always reminds me of a catch 22. We apply the sealant so the rain just runs off the windshield at driving speed and we don't have to run the wipers. BUT, at slower speeds we have to use the wipers because there's not enough air speed to blow the water off, LOL!

:willy:

Any update Memphis Adam?? my truck has 10,000 miles, maybe 1000 miles rain driving, that might be pushing it though. Used glass boost the other day and out of no where today got chatter on both sides in a pretty good storm with stop and go highway traffic.

I just clayed...so we will see what tomorrow brings.

EDIT---wipers worked fine/ like new today and water still beaded. I think i had too many layers on there. Between glass sealant, GnG, and all of my boost applications. I had to knock some down.

Edited by Nickfire20