Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wheel Coating...First Use!

galaxy

Question

So I just coated my truck wheels. First time using a coating and this was the perfect patient since these are bare wheels that have been horrible to care for. They look OK, but not before/after pic worthy. The prep work came out to my standards, so I'm happy there. Now on to the coating...

It may have a been a tad cool today for this at an overcast 55°, but I gave it a shot. Was surprised to learn how noticeable it is going on, which makes it easy to work with and see where you've been. Also, a little goes a long way. Here's my questions/concerns...even with bare aluminum (not forged nor billet), I was still able to see the flash/rainbow, but I think due to the temps, it took a bit longer than expexted; well over a minute before it rain bowed across the whole section. As per Adam's video, the coating never did get tacky. Not at all. Thus, I started buffing at the rainbow. I guess this is all OK? Also, now that the surface is done, its slick as an onion. There's no tackyness with a towel or anything. I have not done the boost yet and a towel just glides across the surface. It's not possible to wipe all of it off is it? After the rainbow when I started buffing the excess off, that had some tackyness to it and took effort to get all the streaks and such wiped down to a nice finish. Now I'm paranoid I wiped it all off, LOL.

But, I did stress the job for no reason. Not as tedious as I thought it would be. Plenty of working time and such. Anyways...any thoughts? Thanks guys.

6 answers to this question

Just checked the wheels. They've been sitting about 5 hours or so. Interesting...a grey edgeless slides across the surface pretty easily still, but not to the touch. Lots or drag when trying to slide a finger across the surface. Pretty sure this is normal and for me, an indication it's right and that the coating is still on the surface, LOL. Guess I didn't wipe it off after all.

Just checked the wheels. They've been sitting about 5 hours or so. Interesting...a grey edgeless slides across the surface pretty easily still, but not to the touch. Lots or drag when trying to slide a finger across the surface. Pretty sure this is normal and for me, an indication it's right and that the coating is still on the surface, LOL. Guess I didn't wipe it off after all.

It sounds like you did it right. The stickiness is caused by the coatings, that's why blost is there to get rid of the stickiness.

Edited by Nathan

Yep, sounds like you did everything correctly Jon. The coating takes a little while to get tacky, and you will notice it more after it has been curing for a few hours. However, I do caution not to touch the wheels with your fingers or towels too much - you can get oils from your fingers and lint/dust from towels that can get stuck in the coating. 

Oh don't worry, I didn't go running like crazy, just a few test spots with the fingers and grey edgeless. I guess I got that from the video of Adam doing his Jeep wheels and brake calipers; he made comment about touching to check for tackyness if you couldn't see the rainbow/flash...I never got tacky during that phase. Not tacky until now after several hours of curing.

Also another note...for whatever reason, I expected the applicator to dry up and be solid and glass like, but that's wasn't the case. Was surprised how pliable it stilll was after 12 hours dry. Don't know why I thought that, just an assumption based on discussion about how hard and glasslike this stuff would be.

Edited by galaxy