Customer Service 866.965.0400

Learned the Hard Way

mathews31

Question

So I did a paint correction on my 2010 Charger hood and roof, and well I had already used the SK15 once so I had come to the conclusion that I was a pro. Well if anyone's ever seen a 2010 Charger, the hood has a weird edge next to the windshield. I unfortunately came too close to the edge and burned through my clear coat. I figure I had to learn the hard way. I figured I would let you guys know so that maybe someone learns from my mistakes.

post-15440-0-17319300-1490397858.jpg

Edited by mathews31

Being on mobile I can't open the picture and zoom in but could the backing plate have caused that?

Edit: Was able to zoom in. Still wonder if the backing plate started the damage.

I'm wondering this as well. If excessive downward pressure was being used right at this curved/raised area, it's possible but unlikely that the velcro of the backing plate at the center cooling hole of the pad may have contacted the paint and made light surface scratches from the velcro. This would require a lot of downward pressure on the pad to squeeze the foam in that much for the velcro to contact.

I'm very sorry this happened Mat!

Which pad and polish were you using when this happened, and what speed were you running the polisher at? Have you tried claying or polishing this area by hand after this occurred Mat? Take a small amount of Correcting Polish on a microfiber applicator or even your finger or a single soft towel, and try to gently work the polish to see if it removes any of the defect. From the small picture, it almost looks like it could be hardened polish residue, but it may in fact be clear coat strike-through. Can you provide a few larger pictures? 

Being on mobile I can't open the picture and zoom in but could the backing plate have caused that?

Edit: Was able to zoom in. Still wonder if the backing plate started the damage.

What do you mean the backing plate started the damage, this is the stock backing plate

I'm wondering this as well. If excessive downward pressure was being used right at this curved/raised area, it's possible but unlikely that the velcro of the backing plate at the center cooling hole of the pad may have contacted the paint and made light surface scratches from the velcro. This would require a lot of downward pressure on the pad to squeeze the foam in that much for the velcro to contact.

I'm very sorry this happened Mat!

Which pad and polish were you using when this happened, and what speed were you running the polisher at? Have you tried claying or polishing this area by hand after this occurred Mat? Take a small amount of Correcting Polish on a microfiber applicator or even your finger or a single soft towel, and try to gently work the polish to see if it removes any of the defect. From the small picture, it almost looks like it could be hardened polish residue, but it may in fact be clear coat strike-through. Can you provide a few larger pictures? 

I think I was using the blue MF cutting pad and the blue correcting compound. I definitely wasn't putting that much pressure especially cause it was in an awkward spot so I probably wasn't even able to reach it comfortably. I'll give it a shot and take some pictures and see what happens.

I think I was using the blue MF cutting pad and the blue correcting compound. I definitely wasn't putting that much pressure especially cause it was in an awkward spot so I probably wasn't even able to reach it comfortably. I'll give it a shot and take some pictures and see what happens.

It's hard to tell from the picture but the heavy compound doesn't always come off easy, sometimes I have to spray a few shots of detail spray on the spot them wipe with some pressure.

Edited by Nathan

What do you mean the backing plate started the damage, this is the stock backing plate

My thought is that while polishing and applying downward pressure when you came to the weird edge in the hood, the backing plate contacted the paint before the polisher went up the edge causing the clearcoat damage. The same may have happened when the polisher was on the edge and it could have happened again. My only other thought is if possible the pad face wasn't flat and being held on an edge similar to the way a rotary polisher is used.

Now this is my theory, not blaming you at all. Shiz happens. It sucks no matter when it does. Just use it as a learning experience and if you have it fixed, choose a good painter.

It's hard to tell from the picture but the heavy compound doesn't always come off easy, sometimes I have to spray a few shots of detail spray on the spot them wipe with some pressure.

This. I just finished polishing a black car today and I had a very similar spot near a door handle where I was working out a scratch. It was just hardened heavy correcting compound. It took a fair amount of rubbing with detail spray and eventually all pourpose cleaner but it came off. Hope that's the situation here.

Good luck

For those who asked here is a better pictures. Also for the record I didn't use any more than a speed 4 on this section.

I had a few places like this near door handles. I actually used revive on a microfiber towel and give it a quick rub like you would an old rubbing compound. 

I wish I had done this.

post-15440-0-05597000-1490485121_thumb.jpg

That doesn't look like damage from the use of the da but more like clear coat damage or one that is failing. The cracks could have been there before but now are filled with polish

Edited by vobro

Ok for you in formation this is not a burn from the pad, this is a burn from bird ****, when you went over to correct it, the fluid filled up the pores to make it visible. I'm a pro I've seen this many times, the wax and correcting compound enhances damage like this after a detail.

So yes you have damage and no it wasn't caused by your lack of knowledge or lack of use.

So don't be so hard on your self, pat your self on the back, you did a good job!

Ok for you in formation this is not a burn from the pad, this is a burn from bird ****, when you went over to correct it, the fluid filled up the pores to make it visible. I'm a pro I've seen this many times, the wax and correcting compound enhances damage like this after a detail.

So yes you have damage and no it wasn't caused by your lack of knowledge or lack of use.

So don't be so hard on your self, pat your self on the back, you did a good job!

I have a spot like this on my car.  Is there anyway to correct this without taking it to a shop?

Hey Jason it all depends on what it looks like and what the color of the car is. Some times you can reduce the damage to make it look like it's gone. One thing to consider when you have this type of damage, it means the the clear coat in that area is heavily damaged and you don't want to thin it out even further.

I have a spot like this on my car.  Is there anyway to correct this without taking it to a shop?

Here is a photo of the spot on my car after being washed and H2OGG applied .  I had to use my phone to block out the reflection of the sky!  The car has never been machine polished just Revive Hand Polished.  

post-13012-0-09276700-1490562427_thumb.jpg

It is a black 2010 LR4.  The hood is very temperamental with things like detail spray and H2OGG.  It streaks very easily and it is hard to remove the streaks.  I have to use a dry double soft or triple soft to basically wipe them off.  It is frustrating...

All that to say, I think this spot is the same type as the Original Poster's.  

Is there a thread that shows photos of different types of paint damage with suggestions on how to repair? Might be a nice resource.

Ok did you buy this Rover brand new? The only time I see streaking is when a hood has been repainted and yes it can be after market paint from the factory the only way to know for sure if it's been repainted is to get it measured with a paint gauge

Is there a thread that shows photos of different types of paint damage with suggestions on how to repair? Might be a nice resource.

http://www.standox.com/content/dam/EMEA/Standox/HQ/Public/Documents/English/Standotheks/THK_Paint_Defects_GB.pdf

Not sure how well the link below works.  I have always been told that if there are clear coat issues, the whole panel needs repainted.

https://garage.eastwood.com/eastwood-chatter/how-to-repair-clearcoat-defects/

Ok did you buy this Rover brand new? The only time I see streaking is when a hood has been repainted and yes it can be after market paint from the factory the only way to know for sure if it's been repainted is to get it measured with a paint gauge

Bought it used with about 38k miles on it.  I don't think it has been repainted.