Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint protection for my new 2017 Corvette Z06

curtls6

Question

A question in regards to paint protection. I plan on placing 3M or similar paint film on my new Z06. Full hood, front fascia, full fender, rockers and rear section behind the rear tires. I am replacing my 2016 Racing Yellow Z51 for the Z06 that had these same areas covered. Yellow is Yellow, but the Blue really pops. The only reason I am considering this is to protect the paint from chips. I am a shine junky and not sure if I am going to get a rich deep shine from my film as I would from the paint. I know you can wax the film, but would it be as deep of a shine? The new Admiral Blue is awesome and changes colors in different light. With the new Adam's Ceramic Coatings, would this protect like a film? If anyone else has had experience with this same delema, please enlighten me. Thanks to all that help.post-14707-0-99125400-1490453221_thumb.pngpost-14707-0-75410000-1490453301_thumb.jpgpost-14707-0-66194600-1490453374_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

​Nice looking C7 Z06.................. here is some info. on protection film, I don't have it on mine but wanted to provide this info. to you.............

Keep in mind that the most important thing you should do is a proper paint correction and polishing prior to film application.

It truly brings out the true color before the wrap is installed and your not just wrapping over the flaws.

​I don't believe that coatings offer the same protection against hazardous damage as the films do either.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your response. I thought the same thing as you mentioned. Prep is everything. I was told that they would take care of the prep for me. I might want to do it myself before it goes to the film shop. Great advise!!! Thanks.

​Curtis, I believe that you can apply the coating PRIOR to the film, and then you could still have the protection that the film offers for added benefit.

To make sure what I stated is correct, if no one else "chimes in" you may want to call Adam's and inquire?

Mine was bought used with about 23K on the odometer. Wasn't properly taken care of, and typical of the C6 wide body versions, had some of the chip damage to the quarter panels by the vents.

Very small and minute, not noticeable to other's as the car has won many shows and was in a concours event as well. But I know they are there.

Mine isn't daily driven here in MI, so I just keep it maintained using Adam's products, and top it off with a coat of Patriot wax if I am going to a show.

Also, I added side skirts to it this winter to help keep the road debris damage minimalized going forward.

To make mine 100% perfect it would need paint work to repair the existing damage. 

​On a new car, I would do exactly what you want to do! 

Correct to make perfect, add shine and depth, seal it in, and then protect as best as it possibly could be.

Edited by rkj4243

Great thanks again Robert for the info. I don't have purchased the new Ceramic Coating yet but plan too. I do have the Patriot Wax. I might use the Patriot Wax on the whole car before it goes to the film shop. Add the film and use Coating at a later date. Just want the best shine possible.

What I would do.

Full correction including wheels

Ceramic coating of paint, trim and wheels

PPF application after 7 days to those high traffic areas (waiting period to make sure the coating has fully cured)

If applicable, Top with wax and/or BG. Some films can't be topped with products as it dampens or stops the self healing abilities of the final.

This is my plan for whenever I get a Mustang.

Edited by SumBeach35

I have the 3M film on my 427 and my guy wipes the car down with alcohol prior to applying the film to remove any wax.  I would say you should correct any flaws you see, seal it, but skip the wax.  You're having the full hood done, so you'll notice a difference.  Especially after time.  I have mixed feelings about the tape.  This is my third car with it on, you definitely notice it, not so much on dark cars as you do on lighter cars.  On my white cars I have to be especially careful about dirt that collects on the edges.  Hard to get off.  And I've had it replaced already because of yellowing (they've come out with a new formula last year). Even with the dark cars you can see the edges.  I didn't do any tape on my hood, just behind the wheels and rocker panels.  I'd say unless you're going to track your car or you plan on driving rocky roads where there's a high chance of stones hitting the hood, you might want to skip doing the hood.  My car is nearly 5 years old now and I have no chips or dings on the paint or stripes.  

By the way, that Z is beautiful!  Blue's my favorite color.  Congrats on the new ride!

​Curtis,

​Replied to your PM but also wanted to state that Rich makes very valid points in the post above.

​Good luck with your decision, and looking forward to seeing pictures of it once you get it all completed.  :2thumbs: 

I know that when I put on clear tape for track days the waxing before I put it on is so it comes off easier. I wouldn't think you want wax under the long term clear film. Ceramic coating likely wouldn't hurt but you could probably skip boost.

I'm pretty sure you don't want a ceramic coating applied before the PPF, Xpel recommends not doing it this way. I'd check with your installer or do a simple Google search. Xpel has their recommendations in their q&a section

Edited by vobro

I'm pretty sure you don't want a ceramic coating applied before the PPF, Xpel recommends not doing it this way. I'd check with your installer or do a simple Google search. Xpel has their recommendations in their q&a section

Just like the rest of the detailing world,. Lots of theories and opinions for products and order of use. Seems to depend most on the film companies recommendation

My Z06 was completely wrapped in Xpel Ultimate when the car was brand new. The paint was minimally "corrected", wiped down with IPA, and the film applied to bare paint. THEN wax, sealants, coatings et al can be applied. Definitely not before.

Edited by LT1xL82

My Z06 was completely wrapped in Xpel Ultimate when the car was brand new. The paint was minimally "corrected", wiped down with IPA, and the film applied to bare paint. THEN wax, sealants, coatings et al can be applied. Definitely not before.

:confused:  :confused:   so then any possible remaining swirls, scratches, or damage that was on the original finish was covered by film and not removed......... film preparation should be similar to coating preparation................ ALL corrections completed prior.......... again, his car is not going to have film applied to every surface, so he can perform the complete detail as he wishes, and the film installer can remove the waxes, sealant, etc. prior to installing the film on the surface areas to be covered

:confused:  :confused:   so then any possible remaining swirls, scratches, or damage that was on the original finish was covered by film and not removed......... film preparation should be similar to coating preparation................ ALL corrections completed prior.......... again, his car is not going to have film applied to every surface, so he can perform the complete detail as he wishes, and the film installer can remove the waxes, sealant, etc. prior to installing the film on the surface areas to be covered

Absolutely all correction/polishing et al needs to be done prior to applying the paint protection film. There is no alternative, other than removing the film!  :(

On my car, for my purposes, minimal correction was an OK approach. In my view, to make it significantly better would take starting with a clean slate beginning with wet sanding the orange peel...  Translation, more time and money. So my paint is not perfect, but it is very good.

If I was seeking perfect paint, frankly I don't think I would cover it with film. Film is great stuff, but not if someone is seeking show car quality paint. I read a post about paint protection film where someone, astutely, basically said "it is protection, not perfection".