Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning Your Tires (With Video)

HFX Detailing

Some general tips and process I use for cleaning tires. Here is a video, using an Audi R8 as a demo vehicle:

The process goes as follows (you can tweak as needed):

1. Make sure the tires are not hot (never work with hot rims and tires!)
  2. Rinse first, getting rid of loose dirt and helping to loosen the dirt that might be stuck
  3. I like to start with the tread, spray with your cleaner and let soak (here, I am using Adams All Purpose Cleaner). Using the foam setting lets the cleaner cling to the tire.
  4. Agitate with a brush
  5. Rinse away the dirt
  6. Repeat as necessary. The tread can get quite dirty and require multiple passes.
  7. Clean the rim. I like using a wheel woolie, especially for this R8 with wider rims. It makes getting in there extremely easy. I use some APC and shampoo suds from a clean bucket. Your rims need special care, just like your paint. Be sure to rinse often and check your cleaning tool of choice often.
  8. Make sure you clean the finer details, such as the bolts
  9. Rinse away the soap
  10. This part is optional, dry the rim. If you want to apply a dressing, I recommend this step. I am using a Blaster Sidekick. Start far away and work your way inwards, or else water will splash on you and the machine.
  11. Dress the tires, sit back and enjoy!

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, and comments...post away!

Thanks for the feedback.

The tires were not dirty enough to warrant a stronger cleaner. I was actually using diluted APC.

I did not forget the wheel wells. Plenty is not in the video, it was actually an interior / exterior detail. This was just a portion.

The wheel wells on this R8 are a fabric. Due to clearance, you have to take the wheels off in order to clean properly.

Thanks for the feedback.

The tires were not dirty enough to warrant a stronger cleaner. I was actually using diluted APC.

I did not forget the wheel wells. Plenty is not in the video, it was actually an interior / exterior detail. This was just a portion.

The wheel wells on this R8 are a fabric. Due to clearance, you have to take the wheels off in order to clean properly.

Yeah I usually use the tire and rubber cleaner for the rubber like floor mats, I used to use all purpose cleaner but the tire and rubber works so much better.