Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wheel Cleaner for Paint

galaxy

Question

So I know diluting wheel cleaner for paint decon has been discussed (and I think I read all of them ;) but just curious why? I get the green/goldish colored spots on my white truck fairly bad (although expecting that to diminish next winter since I just swapped back to ceramic pads), and wanted to check and see if 1:1 is good/strong enough?! I know it's strong, effective stuff, but other brands (dare I say iron-x) are not diluted to use. Just curious.

Are you guys diluting for paint just because it's effective at 1:1 and full strength would be wasteful, or is full strength too much?

23 answers to this question

You can use Wheel Cleaner at full strength as a paint decon, but whether full strength or diluted, use it in the shade if possible and do not let it dry onto the surface. It's safe for the most part, but it is a powerful cleaner and needs to be respected as such. It will weaken or remove wax protection as well.

If a vehicle is not in too bad of shape, I will dilute it down 1:1 and it is still effective at this mixture as well, so you can save on some chemical.

Thanks Dan...I always do everything indoors year round; shade not a problem. I'd also never use this except as a prep step before correction/LSP.

Next time I use it, I'll go 1:1 to see how it works.

Edited by galaxy

I have not used Adam's yet, but similar products (cough, cough, iron-x, cough) have worked great just spraying on, letting dwell, and hosing off.  I use it to battle the green/gold colored iron spots on my white truck and decon has done the trick.

I used Wheel Cleaner to decon my 9 year old daily driver. I sprayed it on, let dwell maybe 5 minutes, agitated very lightly with a Wheel Brush, let dwell another 5 minutes, rinsed, washed... 

While that wheel brush is soft... I don't think I'd use it on my paint. 

While that wheel brush is soft... I don't think I'd use it on my paint. 

I suspect others will feel the same as you. I respect your concerns.

Notice the vehicles age, daily driver status, and "very lightly"qualifier on the agitation. And...many wheels the brush is used on are, well...painted.  :) All considered, I'd do it again. 

I used about 16 OZ. of product...for my Suburban. Applied 1:1 with an Adams pump bottle set for a somewhat fine mist. About 5 minute dwell, very light agitation, another 5 minute dwell, rinse/wash/rinse. Don't let the Wheel Cleaner dry on the vehicle.

How does the Adam's wheel cleaner diluted to 1:1 compare to other iron removers overall?  i'm quite new to this--of course i see all the pics online of the burgundy bleeding, but have no real frame of reference.

(note i prefer adam's stuff because i can just go to louisville to get it--as well as it being superior quality).   other cleaners i've seen aren't diluted during use on paint.  perhaps is that because adam's wheel cleaner strength for wheel cleaning is stronger than others?  

How does the Adam's wheel cleaner diluted to 1:1 compare to other iron removers overall?  i'm quite new to this--of course i see all the pics online of the burgundy bleeding, but have no real frame of reference.

(note i prefer adam's stuff because i can just go to louisville to get it--as well as it being superior quality).   other cleaners i've seen aren't diluted during use on paint.  perhaps is that because adam's wheel cleaner strength for wheel cleaning is stronger than others?  

Likewise.  I'm curious if diluting it is still effective.  Iron fallout removers are so expensive,

full strength using the blue wheel cleaner and diluted 1:1 if you are using the old red deep wheel cleaner, is what Adam told me directly

Here's Adam using the Blue Wheel Cleaner at full strength:

But here's the Shine Doc using the old red Wheel Cleaner at 1:1 (just for reference)

When in doubt, find a video!!!   And thanks for all the info, guys.

I'll pick up a gallon on my next trip to Louisville.

I am not sure about the rest of you guys, but I have issues with wheel cleaner spotting my black plastic on exteriors. So only use it on stuff I dont care about. I tried in my my Deere compact utility tractor the other day and the plastic looked so bad I ended up rubbing out the plastic with hand glaze to get rid of spots.

Everything was cool and washed indoors.

I am not sure about the rest of you guys, but I have issues with wheel cleaner spotting my black plastic on exteriors. So only use it on stuff I dont care about. I tried in my my Deere compact utility tractor the other day and the plastic looked so bad I ended up rubbing out the plastic with hand glaze to get rid of spots.

Everything was cool and washed indoors.

Interesting, never had an issue with that. Have you tried tire and rubber cleaner on the plastic after the spotting occurs?